Homebrew ds emulator to 3ds?

detroitwillfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looking to trade pokemon from soul silver(pc emulator) to pokemon black 2 then eventually use pokemon transporter/bank to get them on x.

is this possible via wifi?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo 3DS's "DS Mode" should support all the original WiFi abilities the DS had. The main thing you couldn't do from what I recall is connect to routers with newer encryption schemes that the DS didn't support at the time.

But I don't think there was anything stopping a 3DS in DS mode from connecting to a DS. As for doing it from emulator to the 3DS in DS mode...can't answer that my self as I don't know if it's been done with normal DS's either. Never really tried as I didn't have a use for doing something like that.

The much better solution for you is to use one of the save editors out there for the pokemon games to "export" them to PKM files then import them into your Black 2 save. But you'd have to make sure they have the "traded" flag set or something. I haven't used the newer save editors as I had only did trades between two GBA emulators and had no plans on using them to trade up to newer gens as I don't currently own a DS (yet) and the DS emulators out there don't really appeal to me. Unlike the GBA emulator and the Dolphin GameCube/Wii emulator, the touchscreen for the DS is the one thing I want and emulators can't really provide that. :P

You'd have to make sure to make them "legal" once you have them imported into your Black 2 save. But to modify the save in your Black2 cartridge you'll need a DS flashcart (since you have a 3DS, you'd need a newer one like DSTwo as it's one of the few that will still work on the 3DS). Yes there is homebrew for the DS out there that will let you write/read save files to/from GBA and DS cartridges (the 3DS doesn't have GBA cartridge support like the DSi before it). But as I said you'd need a flashcart to do that. So getting a save file from an emulator transfered to a DS game or GBA game is definitely do able.

This is assuming there's no way to Wifi connect the emulator to your 3DS in DS mode. I have no idea if that's even possible at this stage or not since the DS has a LOT of flashcarts made for it and I never felt the need to use an emulator.

On a related note I have been playing Pokemon Emerald and have that plan for getting my game progress moved over from the emulator to a real GBA cart. I got a DS coming in the mail and at some point I will get the flashcart I need and the GBA cart for the game. Oddly the Pokemon games have been the only ones thus far that I don't want to run off a flashcart.

I like to collect Pokemon through legit channels and plan to legalize the pokemon I earned in my emulator. I could try and get my pokemon into X/Y at some point down the road as getting that game along with the 3DS is something I'm trying to do now. But the path for Pokemon to get from a GBA generation game into X/Y looks to be long and tedious. Sadly I might have to cheat a little and use a PKM exporter and a flashcart version of the Gen 4/5 games to get my pokemon into X/Y. :P

Long story short, if you don't want to fiddle with using PKM files and the like and the emulator to DS via Wifi isn't doable, the only other option is for you to get a DS and use a flashcart to run Soul Silver, then transfer save file from your emulator to the flashcart version of the game and then use that DS to connect to the 3DS. DS's are cheap on eBay if you know where to look plus you can play the older GBA Pokemon games if you want. ;)

For example, the one I got coming in the mail only cost me $20 and the only issue it had was a broken/damaged hinge. But I plan to spend another $10 to replace the housing. So total I only put $30 into getting a DS compared to the $40+ I would have spent if I went to my local pawn shop. :P

detroitwillfall

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo 3DS's "DS Mode" should support all the original WiFi abilities the DS had. The main thing you couldn't do from what I recall is connect to routers with newer encryption schemes that the DS didn't support at the time.

But I don't think there was anything stopping a 3DS in DS mode from connecting to a DS. As for doing it from emulator to the 3DS in DS mode...can't answer that my self as I don't know if it's been done with normal DS's either. Never really tried as I didn't have a use for doing something like that.

The much better solution for you is to use one of the save editors out there for the pokemon games to "export" them to PKM files then import them into your Black 2 save. But you'd have to make sure they have the "traded" flag set or something. I haven't used the newer save editors as I had only did trades between two GBA emulators and had no plans on using them to trade up to newer gens as I don't currently own a DS (yet) and the DS emulators out there don't really appeal to me. Unlike the GBA emulator and the Dolphin GameCube/Wii emulator, the touchscreen for the DS is the one thing I want and emulators can't really provide that. :P

You'd have to make sure to make them "legal" once you have them imported into your Black 2 save. But to modify the save in your Black2 cartridge you'll need a DS flashcart (since you have a 3DS, you'd need a newer one like DSTwo as it's one of the few that will still work on the 3DS). Yes there is homebrew for the DS out there that will let you write/read save files to/from GBA and DS cartridges (the 3DS doesn't have GBA cartridge support like the DSi before it). But as I said you'd need a flashcart to do that. So getting a save file from an emulator transfered to a DS game or GBA game is definitely do able.

This is assuming there's no way to Wifi connect the emulator to your 3DS in DS mode. I have no idea if that's even possible at this stage or not since the DS has a LOT of flashcarts made for it and I never felt the need to use an emulator.

On a related note I have been playing Pokemon Emerald and have that plan for getting my game progress moved over from the emulator to a real GBA cart. I got a DS coming in the mail and at some point I will get the flashcart I need and the GBA cart for the game. Oddly the Pokemon games have been the only ones thus far that I don't want to run off a flashcart.

I like to collect Pokemon through legit channels and plan to legalize the pokemon I earned in my emulator. I could try and get my pokemon into X/Y at some point down the road as getting that game along with the 3DS is something I'm trying to do now. But the path for Pokemon to get from a GBA generation game into X/Y looks to be long and tedious. Sadly I might have to cheat a little and use a PKM exporter and a flashcart version of the Gen 4/5 games to get my pokemon into X/Y. :P

Long story short, if you don't want to fiddle with using PKM files and the like and the emulator to DS via Wifi isn't doable, the only other option is for you to get a DS and use a flashcart to run Soul Silver, then transfer save file from your emulator to the flashcart version of the game and then use that DS to connect to the 3DS. DS's are cheap on eBay if you know where to look plus you can play the older GBA Pokemon games if you want. ;)

For example, the one I got coming in the mail only cost me $20 and the only issue it had was a broken/damaged hinge. But I plan to spend another $10 to replace the housing. So total I only put $30 into getting a DS compared to the $40+ I would have spent if I went to my local pawn shop. :P

i definitely want to get them legal, ive yet to complete the national/kalos dex in X but there are certain legendaries atm that are definitely not attainable. have u found out which legendarys you would like to eventually make the journey to X?

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well as far as legendarys go, I suppose that would be Kyogre and Rayquaza (probably spelled those both wrong). There's Groudon I think but I haven't caught him yet, (wondering if he's even catch-able in Emerald, I got Kyogre in my Emerald by trading him from my completed Sapphire game. Yes you can do trades via emulator if you have special version of VisualBoyAdvance, but it only involves trades to other emulators, not to physical hardware)

If you want to ensure you're pokemon stay legal, you'll need buy another DS. You can send pokemon from a DS to a 3DS since both games are DS games. (the 3DS will simply be in DS mode with Pokemon Black 2) For the DS, you can either use a flashcart to run a rom of Soul Silver and then copy the save file from the one you played on your emulator to replace the one on your flashcart version or buy the physical cart AND a flashcart, so you can transfer the save from your emulator into the physical cart via a homebrew app. There's a save manager app I forget the name of.

I think it's called DS Save Manager or something to that effect which would require you host a FTP server on your PC and the app downloads the save file from it to transfer to the Pokemon cartridge. It also works the other way around. You can use that app to transfer saves from the cartridge to the FTP server on your PC. These homebrew apps run on your DS, NOT your PC just to be clear here, so no special hardware for the PC is needed besides a method of transferring files to the MicroSD card that your flashcard is using and that's pretty standardized and not hard to do now a days.

There's a separate app for working with GBA cartridges. It goes by GBA Exploder or something. Unlike DS Save Manager (assuming you have a slot 1 flashcard), you don't need a FTP server of some kind. It can transfer the save/rom from the cartridge to the storage on your slot 1 flashcard. It's also able to dump roms from the GBA cartridges. It may also be able to work with DS cartridges in later versions, but it's been ages since I've used it so can't make promises on that.

Also, I did some research and found there is no way to transfer or connect to a physical DS or 3DS in DS mode via an emulator since the encryption for the Wifi connection hasn't been broken. You can get around that by using FlashMe, but you can't use flashme for the 3DS and with the DS, you'd need a flashcart to install it anyway. So unfortunately there is no "free" solution to what you are wanting to do. If you don't already have a second DS and a flashcart, you will need to spend some money to do this. :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...