Dragon Quest VII and VIII 3DS Apparently Are Being Localized

Dragon-Quest.jpg

You read the title right. In some amazing turn of events, these two games are apparently being localized. At Japan Expo, in a last minute announcement, series creator Yuji Horii announced that the two games were coming in French. Of course they wouldn't just localize the game for a single European country, which means you can likely expect a full localization across the major regions. When they're coming is a total mystery, but here are some tweets from the event coverage:

• “Yuji Horii has just announced Dragon Quest VII and VIII will be released ‘in French’…?! Apparently a last minute announcement here at Japan Expo. Guess that means both titles at coming West on 3DS. I asked someone from Square Enix and it seems Horii dropping the bomb wasn’t planned.” (via @jkermarrec, 2)
  • “At Japan Expo, a few hours after our interview, Yuji Horii has confirmed here that Dragon Quest VII and VIII are coming ‘in French.'” (via @FFRing)
  • “Horii actually did mention 3DS for Dragon Quest VII and VIII localization. The translator got upset when he did.” (via @RedMakuzawa)

More details are sure to come, eventually. This announcement wasn't supposed to come this early apparently, so some people are upset with Horii, but now it's out there. @Bortz can now shoot his web all over the place.

:arrow: Source

Izual Urashima

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Of course. There are already official English localizations of most, if not all, previous games available in French.

I'd love to see the opposite, though. Some friends would love to play games like The World Ends With You, or the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, but are stopped because they can't English for their lives. And while I'd love to begin translating, I also know how huge the work is, and have no competences for editing game text and all that.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
8 no, but dragon warrior 7 has had the graphics updated vs. ps1, so it'll be fricking awesome.
8 has additional plot and visible encounters that were apparently cut during the development of the original PS2 version, plus the enhancements from the US PS2 versions unlike that Android version.
Oh, and from earlier interviews they said Rocket Slime 3 had a good chance to be localized too.

The Monsters 1 / 2 remakes though or even Final Fantasy Explorers... very unlikely.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol the translator got pissed because of a announcement that wasn't supposed to happen xD
I find it odd how specific they were about the french language. Maybe the translator tried to save the situation by talking BS?

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol the translator got pissed because of a announcement that wasn't supposed to happen xD
I find it odd how specific they were about the french language. Maybe the translator tried to save the situation by talking BS?
It was announced at Japan Expo. In France. Hence the focus on French.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
8 has additional plot and visible encounters that were apparently cut during the development of the original PS2 version, plus the enhancements from the US PS2 versions unlike that Android version.
The unfortunate part about VIII is that, at least early comparisons showed the least detailed version of DQ VIII yet (and the Android version is already a little depressing compared to the PS2 version). As much as I like VIII, and as likely as I am to eventually buy VIII 3DS, it just isn't quite as exciting as it would be if it were an enhanced port and not simply a port that balances loss with new features.

I'm personally more excited for VII as it's the one mainline DQ game I haven't really put any time into.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The unfortunate part about VIII is that, at least early comparisons showed the least detailed version of DQ VIII yet (and the Android version is already a little depressing compared to the PS2 version). As much as I like VIII, and as likely as I am to eventually buy VIII 3DS, it just isn't quite as exciting as it would be if it were an enhanced port and not simply a port that balances loss with new features.

I'm personally more excited for VII as it's the one mainline DQ game I haven't really put any time into.
I didn't realize it had missing features too. What was lost?

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't realize it had missing features too. What was lost?
It's mostly just the graphical hit that I'm referring to. The game looks fantastic on the PS2. Probably one of the best looking PS2 games, really. Unfortunately, that meant less detail in general in the Android version, and the landscape seemed even more bare in the provided 3DS screens. A lot of the charm came from the art style and environment design, so I find it a bit of a shame that maintaining the overall environment of the game wasn't prioritized over tossing in a new dungeon or providing extra characters that weren't really necessary.

Now, the 3DS screens we got were around the time VIII 3DS was announced, so the final version could look better than what we saw, but I have a feeling it won't be by much.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

well, thats just how it is, they can only do so much with the 3ds limited resolution.
still better than a vita port if you asked me. like, who'd wanna buy a vita amirite

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
The 3DS screens are low res and look worse than in real hardware, and even then the "loss" (which amounts to some trees mainly in the overworld) could be offset by lots of tricks like fog, low res assets of far away stuff, far away stuff appears blue at first, or even a simple camera angle fix. Or they could after all still implement that.

Android version is based on JP PS2 version which is missing the NA PS2 enhancements.
I'm sort of happy they decided to prioritize gameplay features over graphics for the 3DS port.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tumblr_lqd4i2yWe61qgrpnho1_500.jpg

we want the monster series plzzzzzz
You and me both, borther.

Yeah atleast us American gamers probably can play the English European version on our 3ds.

Oh wait...
With a Gateway you could get around that. I mean thats what I do. I have a JP 3DS XL and play my US dumps.

It's mostly just the graphical hit that I'm referring to. The game looks fantastic on the PS2. Probably one of the best looking PS2 games, really. Unfortunately, that meant less detail in general in the Android version, and the landscape seemed even more bare in the provided 3DS screens. A lot of the charm came from the art style and environment design, so I find it a bit of a shame that maintaining the overall environment of the game wasn't prioritized over tossing in a new dungeon or providing extra characters that weren't really necessary.

Now, the 3DS screens we got were around the time VIII 3DS was announced, so the final version could look better than what we saw, but I have a feeling it won't be by much.
That is too bad, from what I have played of the original PS2 version, it was like playing a dream... Just beautiful. That said, I know ive asked this before, but do you know if its O3DS or N3DS? I guess if you want to play the 3DS version and then want to see what the definitive would look like, grab a computer with PCSX2 and amp up the edge lines. Friggin amazing.

well, thats just how it is, they can only do so much with the 3ds limited resolution.
still better than a vita port if you asked me. like, who'd wanna buy a vita amirite
As a Vita owner I would have rather seen this on the Vita as well. I was really hoping that the Vita would have been a portable PS2, kinda like how the PSP was basically a PS1 But alas, despite a few PS2 ports over to the system, its nothing doing. At least even if we got the Android version ported over to Vita it would look slightly better right?

The 3DS screens are low res and look worse than in real hardware, and even then the "loss" (which amounts to some trees mainly in the overworld) could be offset by lots of tricks like fog, low res assets of far away stuff, far away stuff appears blue at first, or even a simple camera angle fix. Or they could after all still implement that.

Android version is based on JP PS2 version which is missing the NA PS2 enhancements.
I'm sort of happy they decided to prioritize gameplay features over graphics for the 3DS port.
Would you be so kind as to explain what those enhancements are? What does the US version have that the JP/droid not have?

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Would you be so kind as to explain what those enhancements are? What does the US version have that the JP/droid not have?
Additions and changes to the North American version of Dragon Quest VIII include: voice acting, new animations, enhanced music and sound effects, additional spells and attacks, and a new menu interface
From: http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest_VIII
That is too bad, from what I have played of the original PS2 version, it was like playing a dream... Just beautiful. That said, I know ive asked this before, but do you know if its O3DS or N3DS? I guess if you want to play the 3DS version and then want to see what the definitive would look like, grab a computer with PCSX2 and amp up the edge lines. Friggin amazing.
Nothing says N3DS, so it can be assumed just a regular 3DS title. No developers seem interested in appealing exclusively to the small N3DS audience.

Reactions: BORTZ

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hope VII will get graphic's update. (i want the battle systems like VIII looking)

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i hope VII will get graphic's update. (i want the battle systems like VIII looking)
The VII remake has been around for awhile in Japan already. You can just youtube gameplay or Google screens or something. It's not like it will change drastically for the international release.

Reactions: Skelletonike

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The VII remake has been around for awhile in Japan already. You can just youtube gameplay or Google screens or something. It's not like it will change drastically for the international release.

kinda of an upgrade but nothing too great... but i guess beggar's can't picky.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...