download and unzip files

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
tl;dr question: whats the easiest way to download and unzip files to specific folders directly? if possible with rename options and filter websites? is there a (firefox) browser addon which does all the word more instantly?

explanation:

after a while with my flashcarts i had downloaded so many files lately... and i was here doing the same thing all over again (download, unzip, copy, rename, close zip etc lots of clicks) and i was wondering there must be an easy way for download stuff and have almost no work...

what i mean is, almost every file we download comes in zip, sometimes it even is a zip inside zip part files inside another zip.. and this gets tedious after some time of course i can try another places without this mess but in other places sometimes the same thing happens, this is a problem easly solved, because i download movies from x website, games from another website etc this could be easly done if the downloads from x website goes to x folder and of course unzip them directly when moving the file from %temp%...

most of the stuff is in zip files, the problem is, everytime i choose to open the .zip i must move the file inside to my memory card folder... and rename it (i just remove some letters at begging and the end of the file, not counting the extension)

i am not complainng about "life is too hard" or "first world problems" i just think computers evolved so far yet sometimes there are so simple things which makes a difference which don't get "evolved" but maybe i am wrong with this statement..

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well you could use J-downloader for easy download and extract but no rename ...

maybe someone has a better suggestion if not try your luck with the programm I mentioned maybe it helps at least a little bit.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did an addon for firefox to sort files based on filters.
But it doesn't extract or rename the file, only save it to the correct folder.

That addon requires an update since Firefox v27 :(
mozilla changed the way downloads are working, but didn't provide the same functionality as before...

If you want to check it:
http://asf.mangaheart.org, download the beta.
Right-click downloads are not working with v27+
I'll fix it when I have time to check firefox sources.
Sorry that it doesn't work 100% with newer version.

You need to setup firefox correctly for my addon to work, it might not be a way you like.
but I didn't find how to integrate the addon without doing this "always ask" option.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Youkai i will give jdownloader a try, rename is optional, i know this can be a bit hard to make

Cyan that can be cool, but automatically unzip was one of my requirements, thanks for the suggestion, and since you are the creator its a really good thing, when you fix it i will give a try, i am using v28 (and is asking me for update now)

edit: ho shit.. i just updated to 29 and this is terrible... i hate having to change to new design

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
when you fix it i will give a try,
I fixed it :grog:
But it still doesn't have auto-extract, sorry. (and probably never will)

There might still be an issue on FF26+, but if you follow the instructions you shouldn't encounter it.

About Firefox29, install Classic theme restorer. I just did and it looks great.

Edit:
I found strange behaviors with firefox 29 :(
It doesn't always correctly remember the old/previous folders.
It doesn't always correctly set the default folder if no filter match.
(maybe because I saved to external SD card, it works fine when saved to hdd)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Now that I hear it fully it sounds slightly familiar