• Views 69,655
  • Replies 208

steviekeyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
only saw warcraft 1 post, so if someone posted 2 then i didnt see it but here goes:

Warcraft 2: loads up to Dos/4GW screen and then crashes to dump screen. it works on pc dosbox tho.

Pizza Tycoon: sound works, plays fine, its just a tad slow i tried messing with the cpu cycles it was still slow tho.

oh btw, I'm using a PS/2 Keyboard, its connected thru the Y-Mouse USB adapter (because i dont own a USB Keyboard) it has 2 ports on it. so im sure i can hook up a mouse to it too, havn't tested it yet tho. but yeah i have too reconnect it on Dosbox start up and then it works fine.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Before trying recent (well, relatively speaking) games like Warcraft 2 or Fallout or Win95, you should REALLY first look at the minimal requirements (in term of Main RAM, Video Card RAM, HDD space, CDROM,etc) for these applications

There is no way you will ever run ALL DOS games on the Wii (and the fact it works on YOUR PC does not means anything) , anyway there are TONS of fun old games to try first

Akdul

Trophies
Website
raulbojalil.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Jacobeian said:
Before trying recent (well, relatively speaking) games like Warcraft 2 or Fallout or Win95, you should REALLY first look at the minimal requirements (in term of Main RAM, Video Card RAM, HDD space, CDROM,etc) for these applications

There is no way you will ever run ALL DOS games on the Wii (and the fact it works on YOUR PC does not means anything) , anyway there are TONS of fun old games to try first

Win95 and 98 run fine on PSP, so maybe its possible to run those on Wii. I do not know if those games would run but its worth a try.

steviekeyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:

well I was just messing with dosbox and wanted to try an old classic the game WAS released in '95. btw im old school and love all the old dos games. also i know you said relatively speaking.

they said the same thing about MAME, and now look at it.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
they said the same thing about MAME, and now look at it.

hmm, what do you mean by that ?
I really doubt the WIi (again, NOT your high-end PC) has enough CPU power & RAM to run DOSBOX+Win95+a Win32 game

QUOTEWin95 and 98 run fine on PSP, so maybe its possible to run those on Wii

sure it's possible, DOSBOX let you run Win95 and even 98 (well, a lite version)
the question is: can you run decently anything else than freecell or minesweep ?

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I was able, after a lot of trouble, to get Win95 to run in DosBox, but it runs like crap. Increadably unstable and takes about 12 1/2 min. to get to the Start Bar. Also for some reason the EGA drives like to display a red hue to everything. I used the EGA311.exe drivers in order to enable EGA in Win95 just incase anyone was wondering.

Anyway if you're up for a painfull 22 minutes watch the boot process below. Just watch part 2 if your only intrested in the speed of Windows. The link will probably only be up for a day until I split the video and dump it on YouTube. It's up on Youtube now.

Part 1;

Part 2;

Download it so you can scroll through the boring parts...which is just about every part;

http://www.fathertom.net/hardwii/win95/w95wii.wmv

And the answer is No, you can't even run Freecell or Minesweep properly. Take a look at Solitaire at the end of the video.
laugh.gif

-FTen

mowfax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ften said:
On another note my keyboard acts crazy with your r48 build, Mowfax.

Damn you're right... tried several games but even at the prompt it's not reliable.
Didn't recognise this in my first quick test.

But IMO that's because dborth replaced his internal keyboard function with those of libogc.
(btw. dborth = tantric ?)

Maybe a more recent libogc will solve this problem.

EDIT:

Okay I recompiled my libogc folder with the latest svn and built another r48.
This time I also included the .elf, I heard sometimes using the .elf fixes problems.
Build2 of r48

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I've posted the videos of Win95 boot process on Youtube now, check my previous post I edited. I'll have a tutorial on how to get it to work on my website in a day or so.

Mowfax, the keyboard is working fine in your new build, thanks.

*EDIT*

The tutorial for loading Windows 95 on the Wii is up on my site now.

http://fathertom.net/hardwii/?p=518

-FTen

steviekeyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in due time win95 can run correctly, i dont care how terrible the wii specs are.
i'm sure theres a way to get it to run more smoother than that even tho everyone still doubts it.

anything is possible!

great job.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
mowfax said:
Damn you're right... tried several games but even at the prompt it's not reliable.
Didn't recognise this in my first quick test.

But IMO that's because dborth replaced his internal keyboard function with those of libogc.
(btw. dborth = tantric ?)

Maybe a more recent libogc will solve this problem.

EDIT:

Okay I recompiled my libogc folder with the latest svn and built another r48.
This time I also included the .elf, I heard sometimes using the .elf fixes problems.
Build2 of r48

Thx for compiling.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
ften said:
I've posted the videos of Win95 boot process on Youtube now, check my previous post I edited. I'll have a tutorial on how to get it to work on my website in a day or so.

Mowfax, the keyboard is working fine in your new build, thanks.

*EDIT*

The tutorial for loading Windows 95 on the Wii is up on my site now.

http://fathertom.net/hardwii/?p=518

-FTen

Awesome, I spend so much trying to run win3.1, it was the EGA driver heh. How do you figure out that driver was compatible with the Wii?

ften

Trophies
Website
fathertom.net
XP
Country
Bulgaria
OriginalHamster said:
Awesome, I spend so much trying to run win3.1, it was the EGA driver heh. How do you figure out that driver was compatible with the Wii?

Watched where it was locking up when I tried to load Win 3.1 or Win 95 and took an educated guess it was the video drivers causing the issue. From there I redid the install in the next best drive down from VGA, the EGA driver, which just happened to work. LOL, nothing too spectacular.
-FTen

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
steviekeyz said:
in due time win95 can run correctly, i dont care how terrible the wii specs are.
i'm sure theres a way to get it to run more smoother than that even tho everyone still doubts it
This might require a visit to Hogwarts.

MadBob

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ften said:
I was able, after a lot of trouble, to get Win95 to run in DosBox, but it runs like crap. Increadably unstable and takes about 12 1/2 min. to get to the Start Bar. Also for some reason the EGA drives like to display a red hue to everything. I used the EGA311.exe drivers in order to enable EGA in Win95 just incase anyone was wondering.

Anyway if you're up for a painfull 22 minutes watch the boot process below. Just watch part 2 if your only intrested in the speed of Windows. The link will probably only be up for a day until I split the video and dump it on YouTube. It's up on Youtube now.

Part 1;

Part 2;

Download it so you can scroll through the boring parts...which is just about every part;

http://www.fathertom.net/hardwii/win95/w95wii.wmv

And the answer is No, you can't even run Freecell or Minesweep properly. Take a look at Solitaire at the end of the video.
laugh.gif

-FTen

about as bad as it was when initially released
biggrin.gif

boomtisk

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
M-m-monster bump. One question: how much hope for an increase in emulation speed is there? I see that some people have been getting
some games to work OK but even Space Quest 5, which isn't a particularly demanding game, runs for me as if I were playing it on a 286. Is it even
possible for a Wii to emulate DOS games so that they run as fast as, say, on a 66Mhz 486?

UltraBro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to get Duke3D to run by deleting the two DEMO files, which play in the background of the main menu. However, it runs terribly slow and is not playable.
Same thing with Shadow Warrior, runs terribly slow.

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got xcom:terror from the deep running but also way too slow... perhaps you should talk to the scummVm guy , he´s got a pretty good emulation for ega/cga/vga graphics on the wii i guess... also sound works awesome in scumm and speed is origianl too...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end