Hacking DOSBox and vWii No On-Screen Keyboard

Pepois

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi, is everyone having the same problem: nothing happening when pressing the home button(no exit/keyboard menu)? I have the latest DOSBox (1.7) app for Wii, it works perfect on my old Wii but NOT in vWii. If I press the home button nothing happens! I have tried with both: old wii remote and the new wii motion plus integrated controller.
The only button that works in either Wii mote controller is the power button since it does turn off the Wii U.

If I plug my apple keyboard it doesn't work either, it only works on my old Wii but not the vWii.

Any ideas?
Thank you!:wink:

Pepois

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Did you try to connect the keyboard to wiiu rear usb port?

Hi Asper, I haven't tried it since I use both rear USB ports in order to power up and use a 500gb USB hard disk. But I will try it. But still... regardless of a physical keyboard, why doesn't the home button work? When I press it nothing happens! No menu (No exit/keyboard option etc). Is it related to ios or something? Does it work on your vWii?

Thank you!

I'll let you know if connecting my keyboard to the rear helps.

Pepois

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yes, it works for me using the rear usb port (using Wii DOSBox 1.6). The home button doesn't work for me but is it supposed to do something when pressed ? (I cannot test it under a Wii anymore).

Maybe you can solve using the Wiiflow DOSBox-conf plugin: http://gbatemp.net/threads/dosbox-conf-and-map-files-collection-for-wiiflow.348496/

Hi Asper,
I'm glad to hear the USB rear port works, I will try it. I have already tried with Wiiflow Dosbox plugin but same story. Btw, when trying with wiiflow I always get an illegal sd: command any ideas? It seems the plugin sends "sd:/*.config" and of course for dosbox sd command doesn't exist.

Thank you

Here's a snapshot of the home button menu in my old Wii:
DOSBox_Home_Button_Menu.jpg

asper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I cannot clearly see the error anyway dosbox support SD:/ path and you can mount it like this:

mount e sd:/

to have your sd card to be present as drive E:\ in dosbox. Maybe the problem can be the leght of the battlechess folder name; DOS only support 8.3 filename.ext = 8 characters for file/folder names, 3 characters for extensions - and I think dosbox is the same - if the folder name is long try to replace it like this:

1st 6 characters are the same as the file/floder name
7th character is ~ [with keyboard you must type: ALT+126 from number keypad]
8th character is 1

example: /battlechess becomes /battle~1

But this will probably not solve the home button issue.

Pepois

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi Asper, thank you for the quick reply but I am afraid battlechess works fine, thats not the issue :(
Edited: you were right it needs to be battle~1 but still it didn't fix the original issue.
Ok, I'm going to copy paste the inbox msg I sent to Wiimpathy:

Hi Wiimpathy,

I am going to try to be more graphic so you can see exactly the situation:

This the result I get from running on a regular Wii using your Wiiflow dosbox-wii plugin:
DOSBox_Screen.jpg

These are the contents of my sd:/DOSBox folder. As you can see I have a Deacathlon.conf file and its Decathlon folder:
DOSBOX_folder.jpg

These are the Deacthlon. conf autoexe lines:
Decathlon_conf.jpg

These are the Wiiflow dosbox-wii.ini plugin settings:
dosbox_wii_ini.jpg

This is the location of the decathlon.conf boxcover inside dosbox-wii:
Dosbox_Boxcovers.jpg

And this is what I see and click on Wiiflow inside the dosxbox-wii plugin:
Wiiflow_DOSBox.jpg

Again, I used a regular Wii and I get the same results using a Wii U (vWii).
I can tell that the plugin is NOT trying to open the corresponding decathlon.conf file in sd:/DOSBox rather is looking for dosbox.conf file etc. which still gives me the same error.

I also notice that if I launch DOSBOX from Mastershoes DU forwarder it also affects the location so I always get a Z:/ regadrless of what I put on the dosbox.config and regardles if the dosbox.config is located on sd:DOSBox/ or sd:/apps/Dosbox-wii so I have to manually mount a location and run it.

Thank you for your time.
Pepois

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just for your info, this plugin is by sion_saphod. In fact, it's one of the few plugins using the regular homebrew.
The plugins/ports I've made can be found here (mostly not so popular machines).

What you could do first is checking if c is mounted : type c and dir.
Then in your conf write this:
mount c sd:/dosbox
c:
cd decath~1 or cd decathln (with you renamed folder)
decathln

You can try different setups too (sd+usb, sd only...) and don't forget to reload cache in wiiflow if you change your games folders. That's all but I can assure you it's working pretty well.

Pepois

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just for your info, this plugin is by sion_saphod. In fact, it's one of the few plugins using the regular homebrew.
The plugins/ports I've made can be found here (mostly not so popular machines).

What you could do first is checking if c is mounted : type c and dir.
Then in your conf write this:
mount c sd:/dosbox
c:
cd decath~1 or cd decathln (with you renamed folder)
decathln

You can try different setups too (sd+usb, sd only...) and don't forget to reload cache in wiiflow if you change your games folders. That's all but I can assure you it's working pretty well.
Hi Wiimpathy and Asper,

Yes, I checked and c is mounted I typed:

mount cd sd:/dosbox
c:
cd decath~1
decathlon

... and it mounts c: as sd:dosbox and changes the drive from Z: to C:
but it never gets to execute the last 2 commands (cd decath~1 and decathlon)
after it changes the drive to C:

I get the same error
Illegal commad: SD:.

And again Wiiflow is reading from the dosbox.conf if I delete it and try for it to read the corresponding conf I get an error: ( I tried Donkey which has exactly 6 letters just to make sure)
Z:\>sd://dosbox/Donkey.conf
Illegal command: sd:.

I was reading the readme included in ABZ's pack and it says this: "Dosbox Folder need to be on usb device root.
If you are going to use sd card you will need to change the paths I have set up in the plugins." Where do I change the paths in the plugins?

My dosbox-wii.ini inside plugins has this settings and I dont see any USB or SD option:

[PLUGIN]
displayname=DOSBox
magic=44424F58
coverfolder=dosbox-wii
dolfile=dosbox.dol
romdir=/dosbox
filetypes=.conf
consolecoverid=
covercolor=ffffff
bannersound=dosbox-wii.ogg
arguments=-c|{device}:/{path}/{name}

Is any of you succesfully running DOSBOX games using WIIFLOW from the SD card?

I will try with USB see if it works though I have a 500gb WBFS drive... so for me it would be ideal to go sd.

Thank you!

EDITED: I just tried with USB and I get the same errors:
Error.jpg

Pepois

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Is your sd card FAT32 formatted?
OK I just figured it out!!! I had the wrong ini file (.bat support; which is the default one in Abz's pack) they look identical except for this line (the argument) now everything wokrs great!!!

arguments=-conf|{device}:/{path}/{name}
bannersound=

Hope this helps anyone else!

Reactions: Deletedmember331810

Pepois

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Maybe not vwii compatible :P
Thats exactly my conclusion, it's not fully compatible. Here is my input after several tests:

Using the latest dosbox-wii v0.74 and Wiiflow dosbox.dol plugin I found that my USB keyboard works on both rear USB ports... but neither the regular wiimote nor the new wiimote motion plus work in dosbox vWii (both work on regular Wii). The only button that works in both controllers is the power button. You can use either controller to map keys in vWii (dosbox Ctrl + F1) and the map files do work on Wii but not on vWii. I wonder if that could be fixed. I have a feeling it's related to a cios or something.

Maybe the home button menu does work after all but since no buttons are recognized it doesn't get to be triggered! Now the weird part as I mentioned previously is that dosbox does recognize either controller when in "mapping mode"(dosbox Ctrl + F1). Maybe someone can figure it out!

Any ideas?

vEN2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
strange thing but for me wiimote on regular wii not work. no home button. everythink what i can is just reset console. Smoteimes i have flashing battery indicators, sometimes nothing. run from Wiiflow dosbox plugin. game starts, but no working controls

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: Turkish olive oil wrestling. +1