Status
Not open for further replies.
Tutorial  Updated

Do's and don'ts on 11.3 update!!!

This is going to be a short thread but it will be dedicated to the newbies on Lumas cfw, a9lh and other common popular homebrews/hacks...
Comment below if I may have missed anything or any new notifications on new updates :D

Note: I cannot possibly find everything so if you want put it down in comments for other users.

So my list of do's and dont's...

If you are a lumas3ds+A9lh user when updating please make sure to make a backup on Decrypt9 and have your lumas on latest version! (Not hourly as it may cause problems, if the communities say its fine do it at your own risk!!!)

This problem is solvable by either turning it off in luma's settings or updating to the hourly build. (I recommend the second one.)

Any leftover hack programs used to get Lumas3ds on homebrew may be deleted for some dedicated bits of storage. (If you need you can always download the packages again, MAKE SURE!!! NOT TO DELETE ANY ROOT FILES ESPECIALLY THE "FILES9" FOLDER!!! This is for the "3ds" Homebrew Folder.

If you are in need for storage you may inject your backup into your computer (make sure to make copies of backup!!!) And delete the backup off the 3ds. You will find a lift in storage, if by any chance you break your 3ds you can use Decrypt9 to restore the backup. I AM WARNING MAKE SURE YOU KEEP EXTRA COPIES OF BACKUPS!!! The files are named NAND.min.sha if im correct. Please tell me in comments if I got this wrong...

HBL (Homebrew Launcher) Needs to be manually updated. Go to your prefered file manager and delete the launcher off "titles" and go to "https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases" to manually update your HBL. This is for CIA users who want HBL, for the people who want it and have Lumas3ds+ A9lh or another cfw that can use unsigned packages go to your Cia unpacker and open the cia in the link above. This should take a few seconds as the file should be less than 3mb.
Note for Luma 6.6 users, that homebrew launcher will fail on 11.3 if the cpu mode is on Clock+L2.
This problem is solvable by either turning it off in luma's settings or updating to the hourly build. (DrasticGray Recommends it.)

NTR CFW (NITRO Custom Firmware, Im not sure what NTR stands for please answer in comments :P) users, If you use NTR or want NTR get "BootNTR Selector" Its faster and can switch between versions. It auto updates and is compatible with 11.3. For those who want it, more information can be found on this thread "https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-bootntr-selector.432911/".

CHMM2 (Custom Home Menu Manager2) For those who dont know CHMM2 Is... what its name says...
I found the one on smealum.github is a old version and cannot be used. Download it on this Link
"http://rinnegatamante.it/site/" and install the latest version. Of CHMM2, For some reason the picture and name says has Blend3r on Homebrew. Please comment if it is fixed or I am stupid...
Cia users need to download "DSP Firmware Dumper" that can be found on rinnegatamante's site.
Run it on homebrew and it should fix the pop up message on CHMM2.cia

Soundhax users... For those who dont want to use HBl.cia Soundhax is oddly not patched on 11.3...
Go to "smealum.github.io/3ds/" to find out how to use Soundhax.

GYTB (Im stupid ok? I dont know meaning... Comment...) Is working on 11.3 you can download this custom badge installer here "https://github.com/MrCheeze/GYTB" To fix your corrupted badges go to the information desk on badge arcade and ask the talkative bunny to reset your badges. This works on homebrew and cia even if you don't have badge arcade!!! Soloution for those who had been ID banned off Badge arcade.

Freeshop ,For cia users you can download here "https://freeshop.pw/" for cia. It works on 11.3 and if you need more information and want games in your directory, go to this thread "https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-freeshop-open-source-eshop-alternative.426573/"

For Those Who Are Interested For More Applications:
FBI has a custom built installer called "TitleDB" that allows you to download homebrew applications, you can use it to download everything from above as long as you have internet and storage.

So thats about it... its my list of do's and dont's... Hope this helps out some people as I spent less than 1/2 hour writing this :P

If you want write down comments on what I missed out or just continue it off my list. If any URL's are broken please tell me in the comments. I will do my best to change this, if I cannot find another URL please ask someone else down in comments or in another thread.

And for those who are interested in Homebrew apps, themes and badges I will leave some links down here
|
V
http://smealum.github.io/3ds/
http://rinnegatamante.it/site/
https://3dsthem.es/ Note: For badges click top left of screen with the little painting symbol to switch to badges
https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_3DS_homebrew_applications

If you want please state some other sites in the comments, and for the other pros out there please help out the comments if this post gets noticed... Anyways thank you so much if you have been reading to this bottom page :D

P.S. Don't copy the "Quote" marks in the link's I added................. :P

.........I just realised I made this a long thread...........
Thanks for reading :P

Last edited by 3Bies,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first: the only purpose of this update is to block updates (basically all updates past 9.6 are like how the wii from 4.1 9.6/4.1 being the last feature adding update) while 11.3 is basically the 4.3 wii update where it was made to block exploits but ended up messing up features of the system (some games dont run as well for example the most common being oot3d) 11.2 is basically 9.2 plus the 9.6 amiibo update and (bug fixes aka exploit patches but not as major). whaddya think? its always your system and your choice

Yes, it's always personal choice. But I asked for a logical reason not to update. Your almost incoherent reply referencing "this firm compared to that firm and the wii blah blah..." pretty much proves my point since you gave no reason not to update. There is no good reason to not update if u have cfw. The thing about updates consisting of exploit patches and adding no real content isn't a new thing. Sony was notorious for it with the psp. There will always be those few ppl that don't want to update even though they have no concrete reasoning. It is generally accepted that if you can update and keep your cfw functionality, you should do so. There is not one single downside to updating at this point.

Last edited by V0ltr0n, , Reason: Tablet derp

MarioMasta64

hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's always personal choice. But I asked for a logical reason not to update. Your almost incoherent reply referencing "this firm compared to that firm and the wii blah blah..." pretty much proves my point since you gave no reason not to update. There is no good reason to not update if u have cfw. The thing about updates consisting of exploit patches and adding no real content isn't a new thing. Sony was notorious for it with the psp. There will always be those few ppl that don't want to update even though they have no concrete reasoning. It is generally accepted that if you can update and keep you cfw functionality, you should do so. There is not one single downside to updating at this point.
> if you have cfw
>11.3 is basically the 4.3 wii update where it was made to block exploits but ended up messing up features of the system (some games dont run as well for example the most common being oot3d)
are these not valid reasons?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

> if you have cfw
>11.3 is basically the 4.3 wii update where it was made to block exploits but ended up messing up features of the system (some games dont run as well for example the most common being oot3d)
are these not valid reasons?
they were for me

Yes, it's always personal choice. But I asked for a logical reason not to update. Your almost incoherent reply referencing "this firm compared to that firm and the wii blah blah..." pretty much proves my point since you gave no reason not to update. There is no good reason to not update if u have cfw. The thing about updates consisting of exploit patches and adding no real content isn't a new thing. Sony was notorious for it with the psp. There will always be those few ppl that don't want to update even though they have no concrete reasoning. It is generally accepted that if you can update and keep your cfw functionality, you should do so. There is not one single downside to updating at this point.
and again. i said "personal opinion" nobody has to take what i say.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. "Some games?" Its only one afaik. As you mentioned, oot3d. And its just in the sheikah stone videos. The person that found that and made it an issue is REALLY reaching.

Also, i acknowledged that personal choice is a thing.

Last edited by V0ltr0n,

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Not really. "Some games?" Its only one afaik. As you mentioned, oot3d. And its just in the sheikah stone videos. The person that found that and made it an issue is REALLY reaching.
any issue is an issue plus alot of things dev wise were blocked off too like changing firmware and such so. yea. again. Personal Opinion. someone could agree with me someone could disagree with me. im not forcing you to do anything. im offering my suggestion. i dont care if you take it or not. its your choice.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My only problem with that is when people suggest to others that they shouldn't update when it's perfectly safe to do so and has no issues that would affect 99.9% of the end users.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
My only problem with that is when people suggest to others that they shouldn't update when it's perfectly safe to do so and has no issues that would affect 99.9% of the end users.
my problem is people who are closed minded to others opinions that are not directed at others and are clearly stated as opinions not facts or theories. :/ you having fun cluttering the thread?

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your post was in fact directed at others as your post was stated as "do's and don'ts"

Not like your initial suggestion would cause confusion to someone wondering if they can update. /s
Suggesting downgrading back to 11.2 and going through the restoration process isn't a very helpful suggestion seeing as updating to 11.3 is fine.
You are correct in stating that this is kinda derailing the thread though. So i guess we'll just leave it be. :)

Last edited by V0ltr0n, , Reason: Stupid tablet...again.

MarioMasta64

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Your post was in fact directed at others as your lost was stated as "do's and don'ts"

Not like your initial suggestion would cause confusion to someone wondering if they can update. /s
Suggesting downgrading back to 11.2 and going through the restoration process isn't a very helpful suggestion seeing as updating to 11.3 is fine.
You are correct in stating that this is kinda derailing the thread though. So i guess we'll just leave it be. :)
i said dos and donts as a joke in the name of the thread and stated that it was my personal opinion. and indeed.

Your post was in fact directed at others as your lost was stated as "do's and don'ts"

sorry if i mislead you somehow?

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Can we please stop fear mongering over hourly Luma? It's better compatibility for 11.3, and it's super-simple to roll back to an older version if something goes wrong. The current hourly is fine, so just install the stable Luma then update to the hourly, then leave it alone. If anything goes wrong, you literally just delete the new file and rename the old one.

Also, if you're doing a NAND backup (which you should, and you should probably make a habit of doing it once every month or three, at the very least), PLEASE make a copy on your computer as well as elsewhere (cloud storage, etc.) because backups are a good thing. If your SD card or computer hard drive failed and you only had one copy, you could end up with a 3DS. It's not likely, but the file is only 1GB or so (depending on the type of NAND backup you do - miniNAND dump is fine, FYI), so it's worth making multiple copies just in case.
Don't just keep the single copy, and certainly don't move it from your SD card then leave the only copy on your computer. It's slower, but it's better to copy it from the SD card so you're not being destructive with the NAND backup file (or move it, then make another NAND backup before modifying your 3DS further).

3Bies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I used freeshop to download OOT3ds and it is perfect!!! no lagging whatsoever!!! Im already halfway through the shadow temple and am close to beating gandarof... the only games I had problems with is pokemon sun and moon which is when there are 2v2 pokemon battles and 1v2, it laggs for less than 3 seconds and works fine once again... Plus im running an old 3ds.... Anyways I prefer not seeing my software update notice ;D someone needs to make a sofware update notice patch to stop that stupid notice... Like ios jailbreak etc. Thanks for your reply anyways :D This problem can be handled by any 3ds if it has cfw+a9lh including a good storage sd card :D Updates are meant to stop hacks, and add more features/functions but it can also be what drives the community on. There are thousands who seriously want cfw and the only thing they can do is wait for a 11.3 exploit. There are usually slip ups like how soundhax still somehow works in 11.3..... Still i sure lucky to get lumas on my 3ds on 11.2.........

any issue is an issue plus alot of things dev wise were blocked off too like changing firmware and such so. yea. again. Personal Opinion. someone could agree with me someone could disagree with me. im not forcing you to do anything. im offering my suggestion. i dont care if you take it or not. its your choice.
just get backup when you are on 11.2 bam downgrade ;D

Im pretty sure you can still kill your 3ds while updating if someone turned it off ;D bad end....

Can we please stop fear mongering over hourly Luma? It's better compatibility for 11.3, and it's super-simple to roll back to an older version if something goes wrong. The current hourly is fine, so just install the stable Luma then update to the hourly, then leave it alone. If anything goes wrong, you literally just delete the new file and rename the old one.

Also, if you're doing a NAND backup (which you should, and you should probably make a habit of doing it once every month or three, at the very least), PLEASE make a copy on your computer as well as elsewhere (cloud storage, etc.) because backups are a good thing. If your SD card or computer hard drive failed and you only had one copy, you could end up with a 3DS. It's not likely, but the file is only 1GB or so (depending on the type of NAND backup you do - miniNAND dump is fine, FYI), so it's worth making multiple copies just in case.
Don't just keep the single copy, and certainly don't move it from your SD card then leave the only copy on your computer. It's slower, but it's better to copy it from the SD card so you're not being destructive with the NAND backup file (or move it, then make another NAND backup before modifying your 3DS further).
I do NAND backup every week now since I nearly hard bricked my 3ds before ;D I saved it by using nand backup and replacing my Nintendo3ds folder to my backup so I get save files back.... Im lucky I didnt have to start again in orcarina of time ;D

Last edited by 3Bies,
Reactions: MarioMasta64

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
/v/tards pls go

I used freeshop to download OOT3ds and it is perfect!!! no lagging whatsoever!!! Im already halfway through the shadow temple and am close to beating gandarof... the only games I had problems with is pokemon sun and moon which is when there are 2v2 pokemon battles and 1v2, it laggs for less than 3 seconds and works fine once again... Plus im running an old 3ds.... Anyways I prefer not seeing my software update notice ;D someone needs to make a sofware update notice patch to stop that stupid notice... Like ios jailbreak etc. Thanks for your reply anyways :D This problem can be handled by any 3ds if it has cfw+a9lh including a good storage sd card :D Updates are meant to stop hacks, and add more features/functions but it can also be what drives the community on. There are thousands who seriously want cfw and the only thing they can do is wait for a 11.3 exploit. There are usually slip ups like how soundhax still somehow works in 11.3..... Still i sure lucky to get lumas on my 3ds on 11.2.........
Sun and Moon don't run as well on the old 3DS models. They also run a slimmed-down version of the system menu to give the games more RAM; something that the New 3DS models do not have. That is more than likely why you get some lag (though to be fair, there is lag here and there on the New 3DS too).
Also, you might want to avoid advertising the fact that you're straight-up pirating games. That's a good way to either get banned or, worse, get arrested.
As for Soundhax: Nintendo could probably patch it, but good luck to them. I kinda doubt they'll bother at this point, but we'll see.

Im pretty sure you can still kill your 3ds while updating if someone turned it off ;D bad end....
Potentially, but since you have to hold the power button down or have the battery run out in the process, you've got to be a special kind of moron to pull that off.

I do NAND backup every week now since I nearly hard bricked my 3ds before ;D I saved it by using nand backup and replacing my Nintendo3ds folder to my backup so I get save files back.... Im lucky I didnt have to start again in orcarina of time ;D
You should use JKSM to backup your saves. It's far more convenient in the long run.

Last edited by TankedThomas,
Reactions: DrasticGray

3Bies

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
/v/tards pls go

Sun and Moon don't run as well on the old 3DS models. They also run a slimmed-down version of the system menu to give the games more RAM; something that the New 3DS models do not have. That is more than likely why you get some lag (though to be fair, there is lag here and there on the New 3DS too).
Also, you might want to avoid advertising the fact that you're straight-up pirating games. That's a good way to either get banned or, worse, get arrested.
As for Soundhax: Nintendo could probably patch it, but good luck to them. I kinda doubt they'll bother at this point, but we'll see.

Potentially, but since you have to hold the power button down or have the battery run out in the process, you've got to be a special kind of moron to pull that off.

You should use JKSM to backup your saves. It's far more convenient in the long run.
Lol ;D btw sun and moon takes like 8 seconds to close :P Thanks for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs