Doom Performance is BAD

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by Zeldalife89, Nov 23, 2017.

1. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Right now I am finally trying to complete Xenoblade X on my Wii U, while I wait for my Xenoblade 2 Collector's Edition to arrive.

I loved the first Xenoblade, put more than 200 hours into it for sure, and though there are some things of Xenoblade X I don't like (music, storytelling), the gameplay, fighting, and exploration are still great, better than I remembered. (but sure that game does a very bad job explaining its mechanics, first time around I stopped playing because of that)

Hell, I will love Xenoblade 2 when it arrives, sure it will be portable legal cocaine.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Same amount of pixels (1080p or 720p) everytime, scaled up from whatever resolution it was rendered in (540p, 900p, etc).

Xzi likes this.
  2. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    @sarkwalvein answered this. Fewer rendered pixels, same amount of displayed pixels. This can result in blurriness of course if the render resolution is too low. Same concept can be applied to Dolphin and other emulators.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  3. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Runs PERFECTLY fine for me and plays SUPER smoothly and SUPER well. Clearly OP is exaggerating/making up stuff because he's a biased person.

4. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    This is what happens when a noob ass publisher/dev does not optimize code. The switch is not as powerfull as a ps4 so when you make little changes this is what happens. its like playing crysis on a 2007 computer vs a 2017 computer....

5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    It's Bethesda

6. Zeldalife89
    OP

Zeldalife89 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2016
    Netherlands
    Dude have you even played the damn game it is not smooth Its smooth when there is nothing going on but when theres alot on screen on higher diffeculty it langs rly bad even arcade mode lags even more so..
    Try to play the Argent tower mission and lazerus labs,Argent d'rr,vega complex etc. And tell me Its not laggy..
    Now if you play on in to Young to die Its alright. But go ahead and test it put it on ultra violence and then say Its super smooth lmao you clearly only played the first few missions

Ok i just got done playing some arcade mode on ultra Violance yeah Its pretty damn bad even worse in arcade ..if you wanna know what im talking about a good example is Argent tower mission that has 2 big fights where it lags bad and this is not the only mission it langs on pretty Much any mission exept the first couple missions in the beginning then the rest of the game it gets like a slide show rly disapointed and i love doom

Syon likes this.
  7. Thirty3Three

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    LOOOL! HAVE YOU???! You clearly need a new switch bud. Or a new game. Becuase yours is fucked. It's very smooth for me, kiddo. Don't be a dick if you're going to be wrong.

8. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    It's been reported since before the game released by several reviewers. What he says is legit.

Subtle Demise and Syon like this.
  9. Thirty3Three

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Really? I've only seen it having VERY minor slowdowns in crowded areas. And that coincides with the reviews I've read before purchasing and playing it. And only sometimes, at that. That's it. He's clearly playing a different game and whining about it. It runs fine for me.
    What reviews have you been reading? lol. USA game, USA console, digital, runs fine on my end.

These.

This.

OP and other commentor are lying big time.

10. InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 26, 2007
    Yorkshire, UK
    Digital Foundry went pretty in depth on Dooms performance, worth a watch:

dAVID_, Syon, DrkBeam and 1 other person like this.
  11. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    do you have double personality or straight up lying? here you say the ps4 never dropped a single frame on the entire game and yet on this post you made here on wednesday you say the ps4 version dropped frames and was laggy at times? lol

this is your exact quote totaly oposite about what you said about the ps4 version ...

Last edited by pedro702, Nov 24, 2017
  12. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I have played doom to death and it plays 100% smooth the only little lag I found was at the beginning of the game on the table but apart from that it plays flawless not sure what the OP is on about? the only nag I had about the game was online it felt really dodgy to me but the main campaign is excellent to play! it really is flawless all the way through, take it from me :)

also how does this guy know his frame rates playing the game?

Last edited by Reecey, Dec 1, 2017
  13. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    i played Doom with mechanical keyboard and 400dpi progaming mouse on 1080p with 240fps! my console was called switch... ops NOPE IT WAS PC MUSTARD RACE!!!

8BitWonder and goldensun87 like this.
  14. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Mechanical keyboard... Meh... the vynil record of (hipster) PC gamers.

15. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    i really should try some VINYL music instead of CD audio tho...

sarkwalvein likes this.
  16. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I don't really find the audio any better, it is just noisier.
    But sure the experience sells it all, from taking (extreme) care of the vinyls and equipment, feeling the record in your hand, having to sit to listen to it, appreciating the big ass sleeve that not only has beautiful big art, but also has a good texture. I am not good selling the experience, but if there is something to enjoy about it, it is the experience.

PS: I don't have vinyls anymore (last one I had myself was in the 80s), but I have a friend obsessed with them and with a lot of equipment, and as I said, I think the interesting part of it is that it makes listening music an experience, a ritual.

17. fatsquirrel

fatsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 11, 2013
    Sorry OP but just no. I played it for 30 min plus and it works superb.
    No it is not ultra high with 120 fps like on the pc but it is smooth and playable.
    Unless you are a fps snob that is

18. MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 20, 2006
    I think the OP is just trying to give us his sincere opinion. Why would he want to do it otherwise? He already said he SOLD his ps4 for a switch so it's not like he's dissing the switch.

Also who would you rather believe? Reviewers who KNOW if they slag off nintendo products they will get banned from not just review copies but also advertising or general gamers who are giving us their opinion?

19. SANIC

SANIC GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後

Jan 13, 2017
    United States
    Because he contradicted himself too many times

20. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Rather go buy actually playing the game and the other people here WHO PLAYED THE FUCKING GAME.

And all the Youtube reviewers who love to slag off Nintendo haven't said a damn thing except the few isolated case of slowdown and whining about price.

21. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    This was a problem in the xb and ps versions as well. Took 3 different updates to kill it completely. So it is most likely, if you have not updated the game, you will being hitting the switch version of the bug.