Dolphin Emulator For Android Now Runs Close To Full Speed

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Kirito-kun, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    The fact that Galaxy Note 3 has Snapdragon 800 also makes a big difference. Think Intel Sandy Bridge vs Ivy Bridge CPUs. The Note's 3 Adreno 330 GPU is also about twice as powerful as the GS4's Adreno 320.

True it's not running perfectly, but it's pretty much guaranteed that the emulator won't run as well as on the GS4 compared to the Note 3.

2. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Dude. I know way more about Dolphin for Android. Not trying to be rude, but the argument is pointless since I know what I'm talking about.
    The Adreno 320 is more than fast enough for Dolphin for Android's current state, at least at 1x IR. Hell, I'd wager it could handle 2x IR on Melee.

Actually, the IB vs. SB upgrade is fitting here. It'll make a performance impact that can be recorded with numbers, but the real world effect will be going from 20% speed to 25% speed, at best. I'm betting memory bandwidth is playing into things here as well (register allocator), and the Note 3 doesn't change that from the S4.

3. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    What about iPhone 5s ?

4. Kirito-kun
    OP

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    Unlikely. The locked-down nature of iOS makes it hard to implement high-end emulators which run well. In fact, it's impossible to implements a JIT in iOS as iOS doesn't allow apps to generate additional executable code at runtime. Jailbreaking might solve that, but I can't see Dolphin supporting iOS in the next couple years.

5. gbadl

gbadl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
  6. Kirito-kun
    OP

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    You're better off running the PC version. Android for x86 isn't optimized very well as of yet. Try enable frame skipping if you have trouble running the PC version at full speed. That always helps.

7. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    Wow, emulators are where phone specs are truly put to the test instead of native android/ios games like ABirds and TRun. The only game that uses a phone's power is deaf trigger 2

8. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    So do you think there will be a big improvement when 64bit cpu's like the iPhone 5s hits the Android next year?

9. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Well, that depends. 64-bit arithmetic will certainly be faster, and ARM64 probably has more registers, reducing memory dependency.

That being said, I don't expect any 2014 chip to get 50% speed in Melee. I would guesstimate 35% speed, and that's if Dolphin is updated to take advantage of the new features.

10. PROTOBOY

PROTOBOY GBAtemp Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Canada
    Does the android emulation Dolphin performance is better of Windows emulation???????????????

11. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    I've tried this on a Note 3 and while impressive it is nowhere near full speed on any ISO I tried.

12. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    This is pretty cool to me, I mean sure it may not be usable right now but the software is in the works and by the time it is in a more complete state the hardware should be better able to handle it's requirements.

I can see the two paths crossing by the end of the year or early next year.

Maybe something running this chip with what ever version of Android is out at the end of the year.

http://semiaccurate.com/2014/02/04/rockchip-rk3288-beats-everyone-coretex-a12-mali-t760-h-265/

13. XtremeHacker

XtremeHacker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 12, 2015
    Canada
    Sorry to bump an old thread but on Dolphin Alpha 14 it runs pretty nice on my Kindle Fire HDX 7" I wonder what the last dev buid that worked with 32 but bit arm will run like?;):)

Last edited by XtremeHacker, Dec 22, 2015
  14. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    What fps

15. XtremeHacker

Nov 12, 2015
    Canada
    Can't remember I'll edit this post with FPS when I have time.

16. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    Should I install this on my fire tv and see what happens ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

17. XtremeHacker

Nov 12, 2015
    Canada
    Fire Tv isn't as good as my HDX and they both have 32 bit arm cpus which means they haven't worked with Dolphin since Oct. 2014, sorry.

KiiWii likes this.
  18. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    Well that sucks. Thanks for telling me though !

XtremeHacker and KiiWii like this.
  19. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Interesting, just didn't think people would want to play gamecube on a phone or tablet.

20. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Why wouldn't you want to play one of the greatest consoles on the go!? It's a fantastic concept! Zelda TP/WW, Mario kart/sunshine, waverace/1080, Luigis mansion, mele, fire emblem, F-Zero, ikaruga... ah the nostalgia!

I personally have an iPhone so this is no use for me in the traveling aspect, however I do have android box's for IPTV which would be great to use this, along with other emulators, on..... but mine are 32-bit too :(

I wonder what boxes would be compatible with this....

XtremeHacker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.