AlmightyJoosh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys,

I guess I can fairly say I've been lurking around these forums for a while but have never posted - I usually just take the knowledge I can glean and run with it, but now that I've encountered a specific issue that I can't find any further information on, I decided to post and pick some brains.

I got a used 3DS for $30 from a guy on craigslist that works great - the only issue I had with it was that the bottom touchscreen was scratched to bejeezus and back. It honestly looked like the kid used a piece of gravel instead of a stylus. It still worked, unbelievably, but I knew I wanted to replace the screen. So I did some research, saw what it would cost to get someone else to do it, and decided to go ahead and replace it myself after acquiring the parts.

Yesterday I went ahead and disassembled the 3DS with help from an ifixit guide and everything went fairly smoothly other than having a rough time dealing with ribbon cables on the reassembly. Finally, when it was all back together, I switched it on and everything works fine except for the bottom LCD screen display. The thing is, it actually works - it registers when I touch different parts and opens up software and, since I know where some of those software buttons are, I can navigate it to a point but still... it's just a dark screen.

So here's my question: I'm thinking maybe one of the ribbon cables is loose that attaches the bottom screen to the motherboard, but I'm not quite sure which one. I feel like it only has to be one of them since the touchscreen itself is working and it is getting power so the power and data must be fine, and probably just the display cable? Does anyone know which one is the display cable or have any light they can shed on this? Also, though the screen fits great and seems to work fine, I'm wondering if there might be any issue with me using this replacement screen and the 3DS not registering it in the same way it did the old screen that actually came with the system? I'm guessing this wouldn't be the issue, but just wanted to cover all the bases.

All in all, any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or advice are appreciated.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
So here's my question: I'm thinking maybe one of the ribbon cables is loose that attaches the bottom screen to the motherboard, but I'm not quite sure which one. I feel like it only has to be one of them since the touchscreen itself is working and it is getting power so the power and data must be fine, and probably just the display cable? Does anyone know which one is the display cable or have any light they can shed on this? Also, though the screen fits great and seems to work fine, I'm wondering if there might be any issue with me using this replacement screen and the 3DS not registering it in the same way it did the old screen that actually came with the system? I'm guessing this wouldn't be the issue, but just wanted to cover all the bases.

All in all, any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or advice are appreciated.

well as you say, the digitizer (touch bit) must be connected and working fine, since touch is working.
ignoring the digitizer, the two cables for the lcd must somehow just not be connected good enough, or damaged. or, the new screen you got is faulty.
don't worry about the 3ds not 'registering' the screen, that is didn't come wit it etc, it doesn't work like that :)

SmileCitrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The small connector on the right is the connector for the backlight for the lower LCD. It's labeled P12. The wide connector labeled P8 just to the left of it is for the actual LCD. If the P12 connector or the ribbon for the backlight is damaged the console may still power up, just with the image on the lower screen very, very, dark and hard to see. If the ribbon is completely disconnected, however, I think, if I remember correctly, that the console normally makes a popping sound and turns off a few seconds after you press the power button. Double check that the ribbon is inserted fully and also inspect it for any tiny tears. Sometimes you find a tear that's so tiny you can barely see it but it can still cause the backlight to fail to light up.

It's also possible you just got a faulty replacement screen. I wasn't clear on whether you replaced only the touch screen or if you replaced the LCD as well, but sometimes you do get replacement LCDs that are no good on arrival even when the seller says "fully tested and working".

Reactions: cearp

AlmightyJoosh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

Thanks for the help! I went back inside and checked all the ribbon cable connections, especially the p12, and reconnected all of them as securely as possible. Closed it back up and now it's working fine! Nothing like saving 80 bucks by doing a repair job yourself, eh??

Cheers, mates!!

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol