Hardware Does the amount of playing affect battery life?

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Will the amount of play time on the 3DS actually affect battery life? I know that the 3DS consumes more battery power when you have 3D turned up fully, Wi-Fi on, power saving off and max brightness, but what I'm asking exactly is: since the 3DS battery is Li-ion, will it actually benefit the 3DS' battery if I use up juice or is it better if I go for the conservative side?

Seeing as the iPhone 4 also uses a Li-ion battery. Me and my mum have the iPhone 4 and hers is better in terms of battery power. Her one can last for several days even with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Location Services, Push Mail on and even her brightness setting is almost at max. On the other hand, I've set mine up so I can save as much battery power as I can but when I try to leave it overnight with Wi-Fi, Push Mail, Notifications on, when I wake up the battery is at 50% already!

So, again, is it better for me to use up the battery or just conserve it?

BONUS: Does the 3DS battery run out more quickly based on how high the 3D depth slider is set or does it only impact the battery when the 3D is enabled, regardless of the depth setting?

Thanks

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
R2DJ said:
Will the amount of play time on the 3DS actually affect battery life? I know that the 3DS consumes more battery power when you have 3D turned up fully, Wi-Fi on, power saving off and max brightness, but what I'm asking exactly is: since the 3DS battery is Li-ion, will it actually benefit the 3DS' battery if I use up juice or is it better if I go for the conservative side?

Seeing as the iPhone 4 also uses a Li-ion battery. Me and my mum have the iPhone 4 and hers is better in terms of battery power. Her one can last for several days even with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Location Services, Push Mail on and even her brightness setting is almost at max. On the other hand, I've set mine up so I can save as much battery power as I can but when I try to leave it overnight with Wi-Fi, Push Mail, Notifications on, when I wake up the battery is at 50% already!

So, again, is it better for me to use up the battery or just conserve it?

From http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-tips...attery-life/289
Allow partial discharges and avoid full ones (usually)
Unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not have a charge memory. That means deep-discharge cycles are not required. In fact, it’s better for the battery to use partial-discharge cycles.
There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device’s power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.

Sounds like your iPhone's battery power gauge needs to be recalibrated.

QUOTE(R2DJ @ Apr 4 2011, 01:25 AM) BONUS: Does the 3DS battery run out more quickly based on how high the 3D depth slider is set or does it only impact the battery when the 3D is enabled, regardless of the depth setting?

Thanks
On or off only.
With 3D on it has to render two images. The level of the slider just determines how far apart those images are rendered.

RNorthex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo its better to conserve it
captain obvious states: the more you use up the battery and recharge it, the less the overall battery time will be over time

about the 3d slider: can't say
but i don't notice any real changes to fps when changing the 3d effect, only when i turn it on or off
so i guess it won't

R2DJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
spiritofcat said:
There is one exception. Battery experts suggest that after 30 charges, you should allow lithium-ion batteries to almost completely discharge. Continuous partial discharges create a condition called digital memory, decreasing the accuracy of the device’s power gauge. So let the battery discharge to the cut-off point and then recharge. The power gauge will be recalibrated.

Sounds like your iPhone's battery power gauge needs to be recalibrated.
Hmmm...well this one's a bit different than what Apple says. Apple says to discharge at least once a month, so that would mean a discharge every 30 days. This one however says that the battery should be discharged completely after every 30 charges, which isn't necessarily 30 days. I've been doing this since last year. Guess I'll apply a change of phase and do a discharge after 30 charges instead of 30 days.

I'm also using the app "BatteryDoctor Pro", where I can just plug it in and it does a full cycle charge. It tells me to run the app and charge it when it's at least below 20%. So every 30 days I let the iPhone discharge completely, plug it in, run the app then leave it until it's done. Also, after it gets to 100%, it does a 10 minute trickle charge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I had 4.89 hfw on super slim that was great, but when I got a new hard disk I forgot where the guide was and could only find a guide for 4.90 and its resources
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I think another reason to want to update is if the hfw is at the level of the fw
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    you can sync trophies
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that's what I'm sitting on now- 4.9, and it seems fine, have had no issues at all
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't know if people play online or such
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My ps3 short circuited during a deep clean still salty about it after downloading 2tbs worth but SteamDeck okay with emulation still just can't run mgs4 worth shit
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea forgot bout trophies. They just silly to me. Just like the xbox achievements. Hey, to each they own tho.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It keeps players in touch with the game like a check list of things to do after they beat it
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa they ruined the gaming experience for me to be honest
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa Im not crazy about getting all of them, i feel like I have something to show for for the time put in
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa If you want to do rgh or 360 mod
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does it matter if you update your 360 or not before trying is it advisable or not
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I don't pay attention to them really. Or do I try to 100% a game. I just play till story ends/ or I get the girl!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bigonya uses his wiener to mod 360s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Going to the water park, see ya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You should update the 360 to newest dash before RGHing it yes. But not a big deal if you don't, you can install new dash/avatar updates after. It's just easier to do it auto online before, instead manual offline after.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have fun @Xdqwerty. If you see a chocolate candy bar floating in the water, don't eat it!
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O:ohnoes: Y didn't U Tell ME that ALSO? @BigOnYa :ohnoes: 🤢🤮
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Does it taste like... chicken?
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa I wanted to ask you about your experience with seeing south park. Most of the people a bit younger like my younger brother and cousins that are a few younger than me that saw kids found south park funny because of the curse words, kids at school, that seemed like liking the show on a very basic level.

I could not quite have a in depth discussion of the show.

How was it for you? As an adult. What did you find the most interesting part about it. Did you relate to the parents of the kids and their situations. Was it satires, the commentary on society. The references on celebrities' and pop culture.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there...