Does resetting Windows 8 remove other partitions?

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I currently have w8.1 installed and want to reset it, just because I feel like i've installed too much and i don't want to go through the trouble of reinstalling everything. I only want to keep a few programs as I hardly use the others anymore.

I was planning on setting up a partition and installing all my steam games there, then reformatting. I would be using the windows 8 formatting thing in the system settings. Does this only affect C: or would it clear my other partition as well?

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
1. How would we know? You haven't even told us what make/model device you have win 8 installed on.

2. You would be better off asking your device supplier or better still, the manufacturer.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. How would we know? You haven't even told us what make/model device you have win 8 installed on.

2. You would be better off asking your device supplier or better still, the manufacturer.

!. I believe that this would be a universal setting as you are using the same option for resetting?
I'm on an Acer Aspire v3-551g-8454.
This copy of Windows 8 was not preinstalled. I formatted a while back, installed Windows 7, then Windows 8 over this, so no recovery stuff exists unless it came with the w8 installation.

2. I cannot ask them as I have deleted everything and installed over it. I no longer have the original recovery partitions or anything

If I have to install Windows 8 completely from scratch again thats fine, I just wanted to know if it would be easier to reset from this

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
!. I believe that this would be a universal setting as you are using the same option for resetting?
I'm on an Acer Aspire v3-551g-8454.
This copy of Windows 8 was not preinstalled. I formatted a while back, installed Windows 7, then Windows 8 over this, so no recovery stuff exists unless it came with the w8 installation.

2. I cannot ask them as I have deleted everything and installed over it. I no longer have the original recovery partitions or anything

If I have to install Windows 8 completely from scratch again thats fine, I just wanted to know if it would be easier to reset from this

If you deleted the original recovery partition, then you won't be able to do a Acer factory reset anyway, (that's what I thought you meant when you said "reset" rather than reformat).

So yeah, you should have no problems if you delete/reformat the existing win 8 system partition (in this case, C) and reinstall the OS. As long as you take care to only select C: during the reformat process, any other partitions won't be affected.

Not sure if you would have any trouble with Steam keys or settings though - that's outside my experience.

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you deleted the original recovery partition, then you won't be able to do a Acer factory reset anyway, (that's what I thought you meant when you said "reset" rather than reformat).

So yeah, you should have no problems if you delete/reformat the existing win 8 system partition (in this case, C) and reinstall the OS. As long as you take care to only select C: during the reformat process, any other partitions won't be affected.

Not sure if you would have any trouble with Steam keys or settings though - that's outside my experience.

Okay thanks for your help

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
To my understanding, Windows 8 comes with a 'refresh' feature that allows the system to be restored to an image created earlier. Once you have installed what you want, create the image and you can revert back to that whenever you want a 'fresh' start.
Refreshing your PC removes all your desktop programs. If you always install some critical desktop programs, you’ll have to reinstall them every time you refresh your computer. To save time, you can create a custom refresh image after installing the programs you use. They’ll be saved and will come back every time you refresh your computer.
Source

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it