Hardware Does New 3DS benefit from fast MicroSD cards?

Aember

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know with the old 3DS a class 4 and a class 10 doesn't have much difference, but what about the new 3DS? will faster MicroSD cards like 400x/ 600x have any noticeable performance improvements compare to a regular 200x class 10 card?

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So far the read and write speeds of the (Micro) SD card reader on the (New) 3DS's cannot be measured, your best bet is to get a Class 10 (Micro) SD card for the (New) 3DS since Nintendo released the (New) 3DS well after Class 10 (Micro) SD cards were well established on the market which would make sense that Nintendo used a (Micro) SD card reader on the (New) 3DS that is capable of taking advantage of Class 10 (Micro) SD cards read and write speeds.

Anything over a Class 10 (Micro) SD card example: SanDisk Ultra/Extreme, Lexar 600x and Samsung Evo (Micro) SD's are not guaranteed the maximum read and write speeds on the (New) 3DS since like mentioned above the card reader speeds on the (New) 3DS is not yet measurable, if you're on a budget however most users have reported there is very little difference between Class 4 and Class 10 (Micro) SD cards on the (New) 3DS but there's no way of accurately telling for sure without a proper measuring tool; I personally recommend getting a Class 10 card which is not that much more expensive than Class 4 cards these days but still a lot cheaper than Extreme speed cards over the Class 10 category standard.

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been looking into buying a 32gb samsung evo for $24 on amazon but am wondering if that's overkill... Games like MH4U are around 1.5 gb right?

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been looking into buying a 32gb samsung evo for $24 on amazon but am wondering if that's overkill... Games like MH4U are around 1.5 gb right?

If it's not a lot more expensive than a regular Samsung or SanDisk Class 10 card I'd say go for it, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is closer to 2GB.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
I recommend anyone get any 8 or 16 or 32 GB with class 10. Under class 10 are little slow than class 10. I own Sandisk Ultra 32 GB from Bestbuy and work great on my Nintendo 3DS XL. No problems so far.

I bought Sandisk Ultra SDHC 32 GB (class 10) from Bestbuy for $19.99 plus taxes about one month ago on sale and still great! Was about $70 dollars.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States

The 32GB EVO is a solid card. I got one for a tablet and it is fast.

There is a huge difference between, say, a class 4 and a class 10 card. Just try and transfer a 2 GB file to each and you'll see.

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
The 32GB EVO is a solid card. I got one for a tablet and it is fast.

There is a huge difference between, say, a class 4 and a class 10 card. Just try and transfer a 2 GB file to each and you'll see.

Would the UHS 1-3 cards be overkill? Or for example Samsung pro which is up up to 90mb. It kinda sucks that Nintendo locked everything at a certain clock speed whether its the cpu or these memory cards. Unlike the PSP where some people had an advantage in loading speeds and what not whether it's online or solo (old psp's).

Unless I'm wrong.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Would the UHS 1-3 cards be overkill? Or for example Samsung pro which is up up to 90mb. It kinda sucks that Nintendo locked everything at a certain clock speed whether its the cpu or these memory cards. Unlike the PSP where some people had an advantage in loading speeds and what not whether it's online or solo (old psp's).

Unless I'm wrong.

The UHS cards are nice and the price difference isn't too insane. If you have USB 3.0 on your PC then you should invest in one. I can get up to 30mbps on those as opposed to 10mbps on a class 10.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
At least if you use a flashcard I would really look into buying a Samsung Memory 32GB PRO Micro SDHC. Up to 90MB/s read speed, 80MB/s write speed. And those speeds a real.

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
The UHS cards are nice and the price difference isn't too insane. If you have USB 3.0 on your PC then you should invest in one. I can get up to 30mbps on those as opposed to 10mbps on a class 10.

But would it benefit the new 3ds? Not much info out there are speed tests for microsd on the N3DS

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt you will see any benefit from class 4 to 10 but who knows. 3ds boot times is already better on the n3ds and the icons load very fast. in game load times will be limited to the old 3ds unless the game is made to use the new hardware anyway.

also you can go above 32gb you just need to plug it into a pc and reformat it to fat32.

TwinBlades

Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt you will see any benefit from class 4 to 10 but who knows. 3ds boot times is already better on the n3ds and the icons load very fast. in game load times will be limited to the old 3ds unless the game is made to use the new hardware anyway.

also you can go above 32gb you just need to plug it into a pc and reformat it to fat32.

If someone makes a homebrew to find the read/write rates of the SD reader then we will know, but no one has yet.

That's good to hear and I guess the homebrew will be long ways in time. Do you have to format to fat32 for 32gb and less or suggested to even if it's not needed? Or is it okay just to use it out of the box?

I've had couple of faulty microSD's corrupting files. Whether it wasn't handled with care during shipment to big box stores (mostly bought from bestbuy) or the quality wasn't just great.

Nemix77

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If someone makes a homebrew to find the read/write rates of the SD reader then we will know, but no one has yet.

There's a thread already asking for such and app and question, I looked it up and replied to the thread myself a while back: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sd-read-write-benchmark-homebrew.370579/

Is it true that the max SD card space the New 3DS can handle is still 32 GB?

Where did you hear this?

I cannot be true because the old 3DS can take up to 128GB/*256GB (untested) SD cards and has a maximum of around 315 slots for game/apps install channels, if anything the New 3DS should be capable of higher capacity memory cards despite the maximum capacity for Micro SD is currently only 128GB on the market.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a thread already asking for such and app and question, I looked it up and replied to the thread myself a while back: https://gbatemp.net/threads/sd-read-write-benchmark-homebrew.370579/

Where did you hear this?

I cannot be true because the old 3DS can take up to 128GB/*256GB (untested) SD cards and has a maximum of around 315 slots for game/apps install channels, if anything the New 3DS should be capable of higher capacity memory cards despite the maximum capacity for Micro SD is currently only 128GB on the market.

officially it only supports 32gb cards. I heard that was due to the fact microsoft own the exfat format in some way and that is what cards higher than 32gb are supposed to use. formatting to fat32 works fine for the 3ds.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
officially it only supports 32gb cards. I heard that was due to the fact microsoft own the exfat format in some way and that is what cards higher than 32gb are supposed to use. formatting to fat32 works fine for the 3ds.
exFat is useless to Nintendo until their developers create a game which uses a single file more than 4gb in size.
Come on kojima, port another mgs game.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
exFat is useless to Nintendo until their developers create a game which uses a single file more than 4gb in size.
Come on kojima, port another mgs game.

that is no reason to not support it. simply supporting it means they can say it supports 128gb sd cards, and clear up the confusion.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
that is no reason to not support it. simply supporting it means they can say it supports 128gb sd cards, and clear up the confusion.

why would they want to make piracy any easier?
eshop games work by unpacking tiny files into the sd card, no file is large enough to have a problem with fat32.
fat32 works for them, fat32 works for everyone who uses a good formating tool.

exfat just unlocks the 4gb single file size limit and some inconsequential stuff.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would they want to make piracy any easier?
eshop games work by unpacking tiny files into the sd card, no file is large enough to have a problem with fat32.
fat32 works for them, fat32 works for everyone who uses a good formating tool.

exfat just unlocks the 4gb single file size limit and some inconsequential stuff.

exfat is also the standard for sd cards above 32gb and is what every card above 32gb I've seen has by default. saying your products support something leads people to believe it will work out of the box which they will not.

how will this make piracy easier? the only way to pirate 3ds games is with gateway which has nothing to do with this. Not sure if ninjahax emulators store on sd card but those are so small 4gb is enough.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: