Does it technically work without the joycons?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Ryccardo, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Half stupid question, but since people asked this for WiiU without gamepads, figured it would be fair game... :)

I fully expect most games wouldn't but again, not owning one, I could be surprised...

What about an external monitor? That's one of the most blatant weird design decisions of the WiiU - and that one luckily wasn't followed by most games [I care about]

2. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    You can play almost every game without the joycon. Only certain ones will exclusively use joycon like 1 2 switch.
    As for the external monitor I don't quite understand what you are talking about

Ryccardo likes this.
  3. Ryccardo
    OP

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    On the WiiU the first step of the initial setup is to connect the gamepad to the console... by typing a code that, while fixed for your own console, is only visible on the external display - so you must have a TV or equivalent connected even though you won't need it after for most games

4. smileyhead

smileyhead Vinesauce is my favourite anime.

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    Docking the Switch isn't a crucial step of the Initial Setup. You can skip it.

Tumoche and Ryccardo like this.
  5. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    You never need a monitor. You may need Joy-Con if a game doesn't support the Pro controller, but most do.

CandraSoftware and Ryccardo like this.
  6. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    You never need a tv/monitor. You can use the switch without ever plugging into the dock if you choose so.

7. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    you can also use ps3,ps4,360,wii and gc controllers on the switch

8. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    i just tried all of those but the gamecube controller and... uhh... no they don't

9. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    u need an adaptor and for gc u need the gc to wii u adaptor

10. LiveLatios

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    adaptor doesn't really count, if you use an adapter that would be universal for any system

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  11. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Not without an adapter.

CandraSoftware likes this.
  12. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    FL
    Because the Wii u is a home console, and needs a display just like every other home console. You can't take the Wii u gamepad more than ~30ft away from the console or it doesn't work anymore.

The switch is a hybrid console. Both home & portable. Hence the display being integrated with the console.

13. epickid37

epickid37 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    why would i tell you stalkers where i live?
    30 feet?! i couldn't get more than 10 feet away before it dropped the connection

14. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    The adapter is meant for use with WiiU and PC, and works with Switch post-3.0.0 update. I doubt it would allow you to use Gamecube controllers on XB1 or PS4.

15. LiveLatios

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    adapters in general, not just the specific gamecube adapter, in which case would apparently be a ps3/ps4/x360/x1 adapter to whatever

16. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Sure, but is there an XB1 controller to PS4 adapter? PC has always had the highest compatibility and consoles have pretty much always been locked down as possible. Switch is the first one I've seen that made it easy to use a bunch of controllers other than its own.

17. LiveLatios

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    unless you count something as the nvidia shield as a console, then yeah i guess

Xzi likes this.
  18. guily6669

guily6669 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 3, 2013
    Cronusmax let you have most controllers for PS4, Xone and other consoles...

They even emulated the G25 into a G29 with fully working force feedback and new custom button functions.

19. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    I mean i have 10 games on the Switch and the joycons aren't required for a single one. They add features and/or immersion to games like Mario Odyssey and ARMS but even still they aren't required.

The only 2 games i know of so far that need joycons are 1,2 Switch (for obvious reasons) and World of Goo which uses an individual Joycon similar to how the Wii used a Wiimote in the same game (a point and click kind of way). I imagine Just Dance makes use of them in an obvious way as well, but if the Switch Just Dance titles are like most that came before it, then you still have the option to use your smartphone to track your movements instead, which again makes the joycons not a necessary controller for the game.

In other words, to answer your question, no they aren't necessary on the Switch, with a few exceptions, though these are almost always for specific motion controls, ie: more casual games.