Hacking Does it matter what PSP 1001 I get?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest a PSP 2000 instead of a PSP 1000, purely because the screen on the 2000 is better quality than the 1000, + it introduced video out and the additional RAM (though that won't matter since you just want PS1 games).

But generally all PSP firmwares can be hacked, doesn't matter which you end up having.

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since 2005 (launch of PSP1000) and now, I have owned all models. Recently buying a PSP Go purely for how small the device is! - It has bluetooth which the others don't. 16GB internal and 16GB M2. There is a mod to remove the M2 adaptor and solder an SD card direct to the board. (if not want bigger storage than 32gb).

PSP 1000 - a brick and bullet proof. - Pro Duo to SD adaptor for cheap storage available.
PSP 2000 - Better screen, thinner lighter - Pro Duo to SD adaptor for cheap storage available.
PSP 3000 - "Brighter" Model. people like the screen some people hate it. You'll have to watch a video to see if you like this one. - Pro Duo to SD adaptor for cheap storage available.
PSP GO - The smallest PSP ever, with bluetooth to sync with a ps3 controller. This and the TV cable means you could play, PSP, PS1 & PSP minis on a big tv from such a small device. - Storage is internal 16GB and 16GB M2 giving you 32GB. If you want to mod it by soldering you can have up to 512GB SD card.

I hope this helps...

Reactions: Ryccardo

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I would suggest a PSP 2000 instead of a PSP 1000, purely because the screen on the 2000 is better quality than the 1000, + it introduced video out and the additional RAM (though that won't matter since you just want PS1 games).

But generally all PSP firmwares can be hacked, doesn't matter which you end up having.
THIS. SO MUCH THIS.
As an owner of a 1001 model I really suggest going for a slim model.
There's some games such as GTA LCS/VCS and God of War where the framerate is much smoother on a non phat PSP.
Also, and I think it's only my case, my PSP phat has ghosting on its screen (very noticeable on games such as MHFU)
EDIT: Also Phat PSPs have one of the worst D-Pads I've tried, it hurts my thumb everytime I try to do any diagonal movements with it because it doesn't stick out as much as the D-Pad on other models do

Last edited by AxlSt00pid,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Early 2000 is king for the same brickproofness and true permanent CFW of 1000 plus easier to find accessories, however a 1000 is fine too - and I prefer the extra thickness

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Personally, I would suggest 3004 to be honest, unless you find 2000 brand new. ALL PSP have very flimsy analogs, so newer used vs older used can mean you get more playtime before the analog starts having issues. Also, I like the 3004's screen and it has slightly better battery life. On top of that, it supports a couple more popsloader versions making some otherwise unplayable PS1 games playable a bit more (eg: Digimon World 3 if not from the eshop).

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If I were you, I'd get a Vita Fat with 3.60 as system version. You'll never miss a PSP.
PSP>Vita anytime:P And let's not forget how annoying it is to play on a Vita with everything being so tiny (those buttons are a pain)!

cplus44

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I were you, I'd get a Vita Fat with 3.60 as system version. You'll never miss a PSP.

I was thinking about getting a PS Vita but then I seen ones ones with firmware 3.60 and they're going for like $200 when I can just get a PSP for like $50 shipped

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone that previously owned a 2000 model and just recently replaced with a 3000, the 3000 is demonstrably better with a brighter screen. I was very hesitant on getting one and initially was going to go for the 2000 again, but glad I didn't.

lordkaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend you to buy a PSP 3000, the PSP go is better in a lot of aspects, but its main problem is storage, It does have about 14.5 GB of onboard storage but if you want to expand the storage space beyond that you have to buy an M2 card and those only reached 16 GB so that limits you to a maximum of 28 GB or so, on the other hand you can buy one of those SD card to memory stick adapter and reach more than 32GB of storage space with the 3000.

mileyrock2

bara lover
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I would suggest 3004 to be honest, unless you find 2000 brand new. ALL PSP have very flimsy analogs, so newer used vs older used can mean you get more playtime before the analog starts having issues. Also, I like the 3004's screen and it has slightly better battery life. On top of that, it supports a couple more popsloader versions making some otherwise unplayable PS1 games playable a bit more (eg: Digimon World 3 if not from the eshop).
he could just replace it its not that hard

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
he could just replace it its not that hard
Never said it's hard to replace is, but it's next to impossible to find replacement ones nowadays, Sony stopped their production in 2013, so all analogs that are in the market were simply stocked before then. Best chance to find one would be a rip-off one from china or something...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?