Does good tasting food make people more hungry than bad tasting food?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is just a idea of mine, so i dunno if is fact or not. Is based on logic really. I was just thinking that food that taste good make people wanna eat more of it than when it taste bad, kinda like extreme conditioning the body to reward and punish. If you hate the food given, you lose appetite, but if you love it, you want more. We have to consider that our body is made up of 5 senses that trigger reflexes in our minds and then trigger actions. For example, if something smells very bad or looks unappealing it makes some people puke as response. What is your opinion about this idea? Please note we aren't discussing severe conditions like starving or lack of available food or a simple thing of "Why would you eat food that taste bad?" You can try new things and dunno if you like it or not. (I think i didn't do a good job explaining this topic) :unsure:

Again, is just a idea i had with my own logic, sometimes when i'm sitting alone (which is often) i bounce ideas around and wonder what other people think, due to my nature of not having good communication is not easy to establish the reason why i may ask some things or also be able to properly conduct explanation to communicate with people. Being the goal i want is making friends and conversation is a start, is a struggle for others to try and understand me. But enough about me and my personal problems, just a short statement of why i would care to ask or come up with this stuff. :ninja:

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't affect actual hunger, that's affected by just not eating for a while. It does affect desire to eat, though, which is not the same thing, even though people often mix up the two. Of course people are more likely to desire food they like the taste of, same as they'd rather have anything they like (car, home, women) more than those they don't.

D

Deleted User

Well, yes. You're putting this stuff into you're body. You wouldn't want to put something disgusting or harmful in it, now, would you?

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are very hungry and there is nothing else to eat, your body will force you to eat whatever you can. This is your hunger. When you walk into a store and have a desire to eat, appetite, but there's a terrible scent in the deli, your appetite goes away. Your natural hunger was never affected. Tasting good food might affect your appetite, and make you want more food. Tasting bad food can affect your appetite by making it go away. If you were really hungry, your hunger will override your appetite.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recall a while back reading some studies on plate sizes and their attendant effects on hunger/satiation, if memory serves the takeaway was that food holder sizes have increased in recent decades and that might have led to increase portion sizes (and be part of the subsequent rise in the fat bastard supply). Might be worth looking up those.

As a spin on that try measuring out the suggested portion of breakfast cereal compared to what you might normally eat. Most usually eat way over the suggested amount. If you want to find a small bowl as well and try it yourself then great.

I know it is not what you asked but it is an interesting extra factor.

Reactions: Deleted User

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I recall a while back reading some studies on plate sizes and their attendant effects on hunger/satiation, if memory serves the takeaway was that food holder sizes have increased in recent decades and that might have led to increase portion sizes (and be part of the subsequent rise in the fat bastard supply). Might be worth looking up those.
Some other things that affect how much we eat are the plate color, ambient color, and the kind of music playing in the background.
So yes, all other things being equal, you'll eat more of something you like than of something you don't like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay