Hardware Does formatting the 3DS unlink your NNID?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
so I'm getting the SNES N3DS XL and will probably keep it. Since system transferring is kind of pointless as I will have to backup all the tickets and reinstall them for the homebrew stuff, and I don't got much software installed anyway, and I have two ntrboot-capable flashcards, I thought I'd just set up the XL fresh and reinstall the stuff, good chance to unclutter the SD anyway.
When I'm done, will formatting the old device unlink my NNID? Or does that actually only happen either by sys-transfer, or calling Ninty?

Thanks!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi,
so I'm getting the SNES N3DS XL and will probably keep it. Since system transferring is kind of pointless as I will have to backup all the tickets and reinstall them for the homebrew stuff, and I don't got much software installed anyway, and I have two ntrboot-capable flashcards, I thought I'd just set up the XL fresh and reinstall the stuff, good chance to unclutter the SD anyway.
When I'm done, will formatting the old device unlink my NNID? Or does that actually only happen either by sys-transfer, or calling Ninty?

Thanks!
Formatting the device will unlink the NNID on the server side, but it's still somehow tied to that 3DS so you can't link it to another console without a system transfer or calling Ninty. I'm not sure why they did it this way. It's much easier to perform a system transfer than try to transfer everything manually, as you lose stuff like your friend code, friend list, NNID, Miis and Mii Plaza data unless you jump through hoops to transfer them.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, ok. Then I again I know literally only three people who actually own a 3DS and they completely crap over online, I don't even know their friend codes or NNID at all. I also never play online. I just find the idea of setting up everything fresh better than doing a sys-transfer where all tickets are missing

RY0M43CH1Z3N

Touching things and improving your world
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
unlink my NNID?

You can use this if you have Godmode9:

(From https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting)

Removing an NNID without formatting your device
Note that if you have any payload files other than GodMode9.firm in the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card, holding (Start) on boot will display a “chainloader menu” where you will have to use the D-Pad and the (A) button to select “GodMode9” for these instructions.

1. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
  2. Navigate to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND -> data -> (32 Character ID) -> sysdata -> 00010038
  3. Hold down the (R) trigger, then press (X) on 00000000 to rename this file
  4. Press (Up) once to change the name to 10000000
  5. Press (A) to save changes
  6. Press (A) to unlock SysNAND writing, then input the key combo given
  7. Navigate back to the Main Menu
  8. Press (Start) to reboot your device

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can use this if you have Godmode9:

(From https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting)

Removing an NNID without formatting your device
Note that if you have any payload files other than GodMode9.firm in the /luma/payloads/ folder on your SD card, holding (Start) on boot will display a “chainloader menu” where you will have to use the D-Pad and the (A) button to select “GodMode9” for these instructions.

1. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
  2. Navigate to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND -> data -> (32 Character ID) -> sysdata -> 00010038
  3. Hold down the (R) trigger, then press (X) on 00000000 to rename this file
  4. Press (Up) once to change the name to 10000000
  5. Press (A) to save changes
  6. Press (A) to unlock SysNAND writing, then input the key combo given
  7. Navigate back to the Main Menu
  8. Press (Start) to reboot your device
I have seen this, but this will probably also not unlink my nnid "server side" and allow me to link the nnid on a new device, right?

It basically comes down to this, of course I could just do a systransfer. But I want to set up the new console fresh anyway. Also sys transfer means I need a second 64gb card. Or I delete everything from my old device before doing the transfer. But then I can just set up the new console fresh anyway, you know what I mean. If I have to reinstall everything anyway.

I'll probably just go with setting up the new one then calling Nintendo about having my old console stolen and making them remove the Nnid from the old one, so I can connect the new one. Fresh setup, no second sd needed.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.