Does anyone hate as much as me "Branded Phones"

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least in my mind, branding != advertising.

The Doritos truck? That's advertising.

The Verizon logo on the back (or usually front) of the phone? Advertising, SURE, technically. But in my eyes, it's branding. Branding being a lot less in your face.

I have a Tmart banner ad above the quick reply box. That's advertising. It's in your face.

"Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2012 XenForo Ltd" at the bottom of the page? Sure, that's technically advertising, if you really want to look at it like that, but it's branding.

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
I, for one, really like Branded Phones. Just imagine a world where everyone owned an absolute indentically looking device - we're slowly moving towards that world, where individualism is not possible anymore. Branded phones are great, because the logos and icons that carriers and device manufacturers put on the device and inside the software are usually designed by talented designers that know their stuff and just look great.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Branded phones don't come only on contracts, I bought mine from Vodafone and payed full price, yet it came branded and network locked.
Essentially you're on a contract though seeing as you're unable to use it with any other carrier.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Essentially you're on a contract though seeing as you're unable to use it with any other carrier.

Contract implies you pay a certain amount of money to pay the phone you have.

Android is also the only operating system which includes "shitware". Neither Apple nor Microsoft allow branding on their OS.

And because of that they're better right?
Oh and Blackberries cannot be branded too right?

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android is also the only operating system which includes "shitware". Neither Apple nor Microsoft allow branding on their OS.

Blackberrys can be branded too, but you can remove them and install stock or completely custom Roms on Android phones.

Not to pick on you twice on the same day but was your post earlier on no more individualism sarcasm/satire or not? I honestly couldn't tell and it creeped me out a little.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look at this shit.

verizon-galaxy-note2.jpg

(inb4 iFish tells me it's not a Nexus device anymore)

Well, I'm not iFish, but it really isn't a Nexus if it doesn't get it's updates as Google intends it to. That's why Google doesn't bother with the CDMA carriers anymore, too much shit they have to go through to update their devices, which totally defeats the purpose of a Nexus device.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Blackberrys can be branded too, but you can remove them and install stock or completely custom Roms on Android phones.

Not to pick on you twice on the same day but was your post earlier on no more individualism sarcasm/satire or not? I honestly couldn't tell and it creeped me out a little.

Actually last I checked debranding a BB runs a very very high risk of permanent bricking which is why I never looked more into it with my Bold 9700

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually last I checked debranding a BB runs a very very high risk of permanent bricking which is why I never looked more into it with my Bold 9700

Yeah, sorry if it was worded weird but I was saying that BB's were branded too but only Androids could be unbranded.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, sorry if it was worded weird but I was saying that BB's were branded too but only Androids could be unbranded.

sokay :P but ya as far as i know BB Branding is held on an very hard to flash rom but only one or two have managed it and no way a normal person could pull it off like an android Id imagine you would probs have to change that whole chip out

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Blackberry's can be and its hard coded branding into a rom

Thus should be reflashed if one doesn't want branded shitware on it.
Look at this shit.

verizon-galaxy-note2.jpg

Well, I'm not iFish, but it really isn't a Nexus if it doesn't get it's updates as Google intends it to. That's why Google doesn't bother with the CDMA carriers anymore, too much shit they have to go through to update their devices, which totally defeats the purpose of a Nexus device.
Nice Galaxy Note :P

Reactions: Coltonamore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu