Gaming Do you think 3ds has achieved its full potential in graphics?

rupok93

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or do you think it will go even further than resident evil which right now is the best looking game on the system?

What do you think the full potential is? What level of graphics do you think it will be able to achieve by the end of the cycle?

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, give it a few years for developers to learn the system and learn various shortcuts and stuff. The most visually impressive titles usually come towards the end of the console

fossda

Trophies
XP
Country
No. Just like with the Wii U, towards the end of the console the graphics will be better than the PSP, and the Wii U graphics better than PS3/Xbox 360.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could echo others and I will do so in spirit but I think I shall have to strongly encourage you to do a search for the term demoscene, stick a console name after it and come back to tell us the 3ds might have peaked.
I will get you started with a GBA one

For reference there is no 3d hardware beyond mode7 (think SNES/GBA mario kart and Fzero) style things on the GBA.

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
A lot of optimism here but I'm gonna say no. RER was probably as good as it's gonna get considering how choppy the frame rates were during loading scenes (which were also quite long).

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon BW2 was released 7 years after the DS and still continued to push the limits of the system.

The 3DS has been out for less than 2 years, give it some time.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Capcom confirmed it wasn't even fully pushing the 3DS to its limit. So we can in for a treat. I expect Nintendo to push the bar with metroid if serious work is put in. The DS version was impressive.

If Capcom can polish up Monster Hunter 4, that too can look impressive. I'm holding on to future titles to do that.

3DS is only 19 months in the market, heck we'll see in some games in the next few years going leaps beyond what already has been done.

That makes me think, if a non 3D is to be game, some dev can push all the processing power use into the graphics, like push for more polygons or high quality textures instead for improved AA or smoother framerate. Some games can do AA in 3D too like Mario Kart 7.

To add, we already have games looking better than Wii game in some aspects due advance shaders and lightning techniques. Not higher polygons nor geometry, but it looks better on the smaller screen, if it was blown up then yeah you can tell the difference, but 3DS still overcomes the Wii with the modern GPU capabilities.

Markitus95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No, developers are yet to discover new techniques when rendering things on the 3DS. For example, in Kingdom Hearts 3D the graphics were fairly impressive, but poorly programmed, because the programmers weren't used to working with the new hardware and probably didn't know the pros and cons, as well as some "tricks" they could use. Due to that, KH3D is lagging all the time, and the slowdowns are truly annoying. That may be a reason developers aren't pushing the graphics further, because they prefer to create something that works 100% with slightly inferior graphics than an impressive game that lags.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1