Hardware Do you still want a new game pad for the nx?

S

Saiyan Lusitano

It depends. If they still make it a gamepad the way it is on the Wii U, like a main controller that is completely tied to your Wii U (you can only use it on one Wii U and you can't use more than one, except if there is something I didn't get, which could be the case since I'm not a Wii U user...), then that's no. If they make it a "regular" controller, as in giving the ability to "plug" several gamepads (if you have friends or if you break yours), then I don't mind, even though GCpad masterrace.
The GamePad on Wii U is mostly useless, i.e, the functions its forced upon it another controller could possibly do it so very little games make use of its tablet-features and even then a lot of people have actual tablets so the GamePad is an unnecessary cost.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess there has to be some sort of gamepad if NX really will blend home and portable gaming together. It would have to be a serious step up from Wii U. Thinner, easier to manage, but very slick and it isn't just another display. It can't be a sole option for gameplay, in any game, at all. In fact, I'd like if they tried what gaming tablets are seemingly doing, where you can use a nice game controller, take it on the road and it's like you're playing a AAA title, while on the road. It's not a portable 3DS game, or some stupid freemium iOS game. Triple A, on the road, just a state of the art tablet and a gaming controller.

funnystory

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about no pad and give us a revised Gamecube controller with tilt sensor,softer buttons,trigger sensitivity,ZL ZR buttons, and stronger grease resistant thumbsticks there a perfect controller.

honestly thats the best way to go. I wish nintendo would compete with M$ and sony like they used to. All i want is nintendo games with nice graphics and a normal control.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

honestly thats the best way to go. I wish nintendo would compete with M$ and sony like they used to. All i want is nintendo games with nice graphics and a normal control.
MS and Sony tried going the Wii way but thankfully it flopped.

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
Zelda dungeon maker
I need this immediately.

If NX does have a game pad (and I hope it does), I would love it if it was able to connect to the console via a router as well as peer-to-peer wireless. That way I could have the console connected to my projector in my home office at the end of the garden, and still play in the house using the game pad.

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I need this immediately.

If NX does have a game pad (and I hope it does), I would love it if it was able to connect to the console via a router as well as peer-to-peer wireless. That way I could have the console connected to my projector in my home office at the end of the garden, and still play in the house using the game pad.
I think and hope we will have a "maker " series of game...
fzero maker
sonic maker
pilotwings maker
bomberman maker
ecc ecc
there is a lot of potential in Nintendo branding a proper "maker series" of old school games under is wing with third parties too
matching that with amiibo and you have already gained support for NX by retrogamers and minecraft gen community
also indie could benefit, imagin a shovel knight maker ...
is a reason for gamepad idea to remain , if not the main ... at least for me apart having a proper async gameplay promise fullfilled by Miyamoto. :)

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I think and hope we will have a "maker " series of game...
fzero maker
sonic maker
pilotwings maker
bomberman maker
ecc ecc
there is a lot of potential in Nintendo branding a proper "maker series" of old school games under is wing with third parties too
matching that with amiibo and you have already gained support for NX by retrogamers and minecraft gen community
also indie could benefit, imagin a shovel knight maker ...
is a reason for gamepad idea to remain , if not the main ... at least for me apart having a proper async gameplay promise fullfilled by Miyamoto. :)
Giving Nintendo and Sega those ideas for "games" will just make them even more lazier. Yes, they're good but if they do work on it then that's it until for a couple years after.

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Giving Nintendo and Sega those ideas for "games" will just make them even more lazier. Yes, they're good but if they do work on it then that's it until for a couple years after.
If they do not give minecraft gen guys a proper sequel or any game that use the same concepts that minecraft will be a fad...do not make yourself hoping that people will buy minecraft forever...
that would be also a strategy to get easy money and minecraft guys back on real games brands.
just let them get a free app on mobile phones that is a "light version" of the one on console.
most of sega fans would not buy a full priced 50$ sonic game anymore...
but many of minecraft gen guys would jump on a sonic maker game and maybe buy some cheap dlc pack too.
and that would create some real interest in a new sonic game maybe .
adding amiibo support to unlock things on console version.
again easy money for them.
then would be up to them to use that money to come with a decent sonic game to real gamers and fans...
I think touch panels are to stay as motion controls so that I think will be on NX things too..."maker kind games" are only the beginning of "new touch generation" ... ok now i scared you...!! :)

S

Saiyan Lusitano

If they do not give minecraft gen guys a proper sequel or any game that use the same concepts that minecraft will be a fad...do not make yourself hoping that people will buy minecraft forever...
that would be also a strategy to get easy money and minecraft guys back on real games brands.
just let them get a free app on mobile phones that is a "light version" of the one on console.
most of sega fans would not buy a full priced 50$ sonic game anymore...
but many of minecraft gen guys would jump on a sonic maker game and maybe buy some cheap dlc pack too.
and that would create some real interest in a new sonic game maybe .
adding amiibo support to unlock things on console version.
again easy money for them.
then would be up to them to use that money to come with a decent sonic game to real gamers and fans...
I think touch panels are to stay as motion controls so that I think will be on NX things too..."maker kind games" are only the beginning of "new touch generation" ... ok now i scared you...!! :)
I tried Minecraft on my 360 way back but never really got into it, the game seems interesting for someone who'd want to keep on building and cultivating though that's not what I would expect of a game. Instead, would rather prefer a story mode with characters and an online mode with objectives featuring cool modes.

These all "Maker" games are okay for fans but not actual new content just "we're releasing Zelda Maker, so you do the work, not us".

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
If im playing a game on the wiiu invariably i end up looking at the controller screen as opposed to the TV , its conducive . the implementation of a decent range , so it can be used anywhere i go , in a similar vein to the ps . but certainly in any room of my house . have capacitive touch , be able to have it in a dual screen or remote play setup . tied in with a powerful next gen-esque system , than is third party friendly have a catalog of games ready for release , instead of promising games for years. (im sure i recall X being advertised prior to the wiiu's release maybe im wrong.

Ninty hoped people would create for the pad but as they lost third party support no one has , and ninty really havent continued too , maker aside.

I still cannot say No to a pad as it works in our house hold .

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
A k12 powered standalone tablet with insane battery life(the game pad is more than capable containing a giant battery that make the improved version last for two days with a full highly-powered soc), actual cooling and improvement, without first-in-class design. I now find the pro controller impossible to use with the big screen, and the game pad is more than comfortable.
But giant batteries are expensive. This won't happen because it would make the controller too heavy for comfort and too heavy on the wallet.
I like the Wii U gamepad, but I seem to be one of very few people who actually do. I don't play on the gamepad screen, though having a menu or a map on it rather than taking up space on the TV screen is rather nice. I just have big hands so the gamepad suits me fine and is quite comfortable to use.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
How about nintendo and valve team up and the NX runs steamOS and works with the steam controller?

No? Okay...it was worth a shot. :P

In all seriousness: I would like it if the NX is backwards compatible with the wiiu gamepad. I've grown fond of that offscreen mode, as well as using the thing as an actual TV remote.

For anything else: no offense, but I have more hope for what nintendo's engineers can come up with than the gbatemp forum. Nobody could predict the wiiu gamepad in advance, yet it's at least interesting (it suffered from terrible timing, though: tablets weren't a new thing anymore). The same but even more so for the wiimotes.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

But giant batteries are expensive. This won't happen because it would make the controller too heavy for comfort and too heavy on the wallet.
I like the Wii U gamepad, but I seem to be one of very few people who actually do. I don't play on the gamepad screen, though having a menu or a map on it rather than taking up space on the TV screen is rather nice. I just have big hands so the gamepad suits me fine and is quite comfortable to use.

Still haven't finished Project Zero and it just makes me wish the map was on the TV rather than on the GamePad because when I do the character itself starts moving automatically and so, he/she may be walking into a wall unless I notice it. Not a very good plan by Tecmo/Nintendo, at the very least they could have made it optional. I am glad though, Xenoblade X is fully compatible with the Wii U Pro Controller so I won't touch it.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The gamepad is extremelly useful for Off-tv play.
Aside from that, its extra functions are hardly ever used. I don't know why Nintendo even bothered to make the gamepad at all if they weren't going to explore it to its full potential.
It's a shame because it's a very well designed piece of hardware.

I still have faith in the concept though, they could make a redesigned gamepad which featured a small screen with size similar to a 3DS XL screen. This controller must be cheap, light and have a long battery life. The gamepad shouldn't be treated as obligatory hardware, it must be optional, but well supported in most games.

The lack of support for gamecube controllers in other games or even Virtual Console is unexcusable, controllers are expensive as it is. There's no reason I should invest in 3 Wii U Pro Controllers or Wii Classic Controllers just to play a 4-player game in Virtual Console if I have 4 Gamecube Controllers and an usb adapter. Also, it wouldn't hurt if the NX allowed using 3DSes as controllers.

Nintendo tried to give a large variety of controller options with the WIi U, but I think this is rather pointless since you can't use a single controller for all your needs. At this point to enjoy all of the Wii U functions I need at least a gamepad and a Wiimote + nunchuck for using the Wii mode. If I want to have 4-players in any situation, one gamepad, 3 Wii U Pro Controllers and 4 Wiimotes + 4 Nunchucks and potentially four Classic Controllers for games that require it in Wii mode. Considering the gamepad and Wii U pro controller need their separate A/C adapters to recharge it's beyond cluttered at this point.

What makes it sad is that I have 4 gamecube controllers + 4 Wiimote and nunchucks + Gamepad + 3DS. But I would have to invest in even more controllers depending on the game.

By contrast, the PS3 support playing PS1/PS2/PS3 games with a single controller.

Last edited by RodrigoDavy,
Reactions: Sick Wario

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The gamepad is extremelly useful for Off-tv play.
Aside from that, its extra functions are hardly ever used. I don't know why Nintendo even bothered to make the gamepad at all if they weren't going to explore it to its full potential.
It's a shame because it's a very well designed piece of hardware.

I still have faith in the concept though, they could make a redesigned gamepad which featured a small screen with size similar to a 3DS XL screen. This controller must be cheap, light and have a long battery life. The gamepad shouldn't be treated as obligatory hardware, it must be optional, but well supported in most games.

The lack of support for gamecube controllers in other games or even Virtual Console is unexcusable, controllers are expensive as it is. There's no reason I should invest in 3 Wii U Pro Controllers or Wii Classic Controllers just to play a 4-player game in Virtual Console if I have 4 Gamecube Controllers and an usb adapter. Also, it wouldn't hurt if the NX allowed using 3DSes as controllers.

Nintendo tried to give a large variety of controller options with the WIi U, but I think this is rather pointless since you can't use a single controller for all your needs. At this point to enjoy all of the Wii U functions I need at least a gamepad and a Wiimote + nunchuck for using the Wii mode. If I want to have 4-players in any situation, one gamepad, 3 Wii U Pro Controllers and 4 Wiimotes + 4 Nunchucks and potentially four Classic Controllers for games that require it in Wii mode. Considering the gamepad and Wii U pro controller need their separate A/C adapters to recharge it's beyond cluttered at this point.

What makes it sad is that I have 4 gamecube controllers + 4 Wiimote and nunchucks + Gamepad + 3DS. But I would have to invest in even more controllers depending on the game.

By contrast, the PS3 support playing PS1/PS2/PS3 games with a single controller.
Miyamoto promised asynchronous gameplay, and many controls option is mandatory , with nx and a gamepad version 2 he can fulfill his promise , also they have opportunity to make a 2p game with gamepads,
Or
He could admit he cannot maintain the promise and come out with a single new controller ditching wiiu support

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Miyamoto promised asynchronous gameplay, and many controls option is mandatory , with nx and a gamepad version 2 he can fulfill his promise , also they have opportunity to make a 2p game with gamepads,
Or
He could admit he cannot maintain the promise and come out with a single new controller ditching wiiu support
The thing about assyncronous gameplay is that you don't actually need the gamepad to have it. Assyncronous gameplay is just as possible in the ps4 and xbox one as it is in the wii u.

Assyncronous gameplay is a form to define games where the objectives are different depending on the player. Take hide and seek for example, we have those who hide and the one who seek.

All the gamepad does essentialy is hide information from other players and/or provide a different method of input like the touch screen which is a cool concept. It facilitates assyncronous gameplay but what makes the game assyncronous are the objectives, not the gamepad. And the problem is that it's all it is, a concept... It was briefly explored in Nintendo Land and that was it. I hate to admit it but it was used as a buzzword to attract interest to the Wii U, it's the same as Sega's Blast Processing

Last edited by RodrigoDavy,

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
I still think one of the best examples of the use of the gamepad is ZombiU. Having to look down at the gamepad to get stuff out of your bag adds another layer of realism. The fact that this puts you in danger (because you can't see what's happening around you while looking at the gamepad) adds to the tension in the game. I don't think the game would be nearly as appealing without this feature.

Reactions: Sick Wario
S

Saiyan Lusitano

I still think one of the best examples of the use of the gamepad is ZombiU. Having to look down at the gamepad to get stuff out of your bag adds another layer of realism. The fact that this puts you in danger (because you can't see what's happening around you while looking at the gamepad) adds to the tension in the game. I don't think the game would be nearly as appealing without this feature.
ZombiU was one of the games I got with the Wii U and despite the attempts to get into the game, I just never really liked it, still, there's a lot of Wii U fans who love it though. I just found it tedious, repetitive and monotonous because rather than ZombiU I'd rather just play State of Decay or some other zombie apocalypse survival game that does a better job.

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
The thing about assyncronous gameplay is that you don't actually need the gamepad to have it. Assyncronous gameplay is just as possible in the ps4 and xbox one as it is in the wii u.

Assyncronous gameplay is a form to define games where the objectives are different depending on the player. Take hide and seek for example, we have those who hide and the one who seek.

All the gamepad does essentialy is hide information from other players and/or provide a different method of input like the touch screen which is a cool concept. It facilitates assyncronous gameplay but what makes the game assyncronous are the objectives, not the gamepad. And the problem is that it's all it is, a concept... It was briefly explored in Nintendo Land and that was it. I hate to admit it but it was used as a buzzword to attract interest to the Wii U, it's the same as Sega's Blast Processing

not a "buzzword" i think miyamoto really believed that he could have used the gamepad in async gameplay.
(I was referring that mutiple kind of controls are mandatory because in miyamoto vision the players got different objectives depending on controllers used, your definiton is that but linked to the feautures of the different controllers in miyamoto mind, nintendoland showed that someway)
then
wiiu did not sell, so maybe Miyamoto&co like abandoned that in favour of "Plan B" ...the amiibo thing.
but that arrived to late to save the gen on sells and market shares.
I hope they refined the concept and the controller for the NX thing, if they announce support for gamepad,wiimote,pro controller, gamecube surely they have still async gameplay in their Plan A.
If they announce a single controller support for the NX, i don't think the will go with async gameplay anymore.

little off topic:
how would you see a official replica of old controllers for Virtual console fans?
that would be nice also for indie retro games that want to recall the feeling of old school ...
i would love an indie retro game developed around the N64 controller features!!! :)

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s