do you like mario, the character?

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't know... Mario always seems overconfident no matter what hes doing. Its probably just the voice, but he also smiles all the time. I also prefer luigi.

Reactions: Deleted User

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last Mario game I really enjoyed was Sunshine, outside of the RPG games. As for the character himself, he gives me the impression of one of those people who are extremely selfish but try to hide it.

MaskedRed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where have you been in the last 34 years? Mario has gone through a lot of changes since 1981 when he first appeared as a blue and white sprite in the arcade game donkey kong
super-mario-evolution.jpg

I should of made myself more clear, I was actually talking about the Core Design itself,in that aspect he really hasnt changed he's just been tweaked here and there, the biggest difference would be the Arcade Donkey Kong(Art, not the in game sprite) and the nes SMB3 box art but like anything else the art changes,I can also use anime as example, compare the art of then to now.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I don't know... Mario always seems overconfident no matter what hes doing. Its probably just the voice, but he also smiles all the time. I also prefer luigi.
The last Mario game I really enjoyed was Sunshine, outside of the RPG games. As for the character himself, he gives me the impression of one of those people who are extremely selfish but try to hide it.

i don't know what you guys are talking about, when i see him in action, mario looks like it was brainwashed... and the only thing he knows is "must resque princess and help friends" at least on the games...
when he finally resques the princess, there is not actually much happening. he just stand beside her, and sometimes are happy about it, but that is... like he has no life after the game...

Haterbait

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
haterbait.com
XP
Country
United States
He's really just a generic sort of character, and that's enough to fill the role of the on-screen indicator as to the players location. Platforming games need something for the player to control, so Mario may as well be a ball, or a fish with legs, or a wise-cracking dinosaur teen with sunglasses. Point is, it isn't important. Story and character depth aren't of much concern here. I don't think we honestly need a reason to go through these games, other than enjoyment. Enjoy the challenge, enjoy the music, enjoy the visuals. Mario is a placeholder that, due to the early success of his games, is quite recognizable at this point. It makes more sense for Nintendo to continue to use him in their 2d and 3d platforming games since they'll sell more units. Unless you'd rather the same exact game with a flightless parrot on roller skates, an alpaca farmer with whiskers, or a skydiving rabbit ninja who hates carrots for some reason. So in other words, I don't like or dislike the character, if, due to his shallowness, you can even call him that.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't know what you guys are talking about, when i see him in action, mario looks like it was brainwashed... and the only thing he knows is "must resque princess and help friends" at least on the games...
when he finally resques the princess, there is not actually much happening. he just stand beside her, and sometimes are happy about it, but that is... like he has no life after the game...

I seem to remember one multiplayer game where if Luigi wins, Mario comes over and stomps on his foot. As if saying Luigi's only there because of Mario.

D

Deleted User

He's really just a generic sort of character, and that's enough to fill the role of the on-screen indicator as to the players location. Platforming games need something for the player to control, so Mario may as well be a ball, or a fish with legs, or a wise-cracking dinosaur teen with sunglasses. Point is, it isn't important. Story and character depth aren't of much concern here. I don't think we honestly need a reason to go through these games, other than enjoyment. Enjoy the challenge, enjoy the music, enjoy the visuals. Mario is a placeholder that, due to the early success of his games, is quite recognizable at this point. It makes more sense for Nintendo to continue to use him in their 2d and 3d platforming games since they'll sell more units. Unless you'd rather the same exact game with a flightless parrot on roller skates, an alpaca farmer with whiskers, or a skydiving rabbit ninja who hates carrots for some reason. So in other words, I don't like or dislike the character, if, due to his shallowness, you can even call him that.

I agree. While Mario is kinda 'blank' as a character, I don't care too much about what the character I play as is like, especially with platformer games like Mario. Although, this is a different story with different types of games.

Reactions: MaskedRed

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Wind Waker Link, sure, but most incarnations of Link is incredibly bland (disregarding Cartoon Series Link and CD-i Link). Nintendo seems to mostly avoid giving their protagonists personality. HAL is a bit better, but not by much.

Wind Waker Link is my favorite :) (it's a bit obvious xD)

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I used to be a fan of Mario when I was younger. I had costumes of him, hats, merch and games. I still play Mario games but I'm not a Mario fanboy anymore.

Also, Yoshi is WAY better than the other Mario characters.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What about Zelda Wii U's Link though?
I like the cellshading graphics! Can't wait to see more.

His long hat made sense now we saw he has long hairs xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaZWBrG__s