Do you consider Switch, XBO X and PS4 PRO as 9th gen or just a continuity of 8th gen

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Noctosphere, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What is the Gen of Switch, XBO X and PS4 PRO

1. 8th

30.3%
  2. 9th

12.1%
  3. Switch is the only 9th gen

57.6%
  1. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    I saw both opinion on internet
    Personally I think it's the 9th gen.
    What about you
    just a quick poll for fun

2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    9th. 8th was just a pathetically short gen

TF_Slayar likes this.
  3. wafflestick

wafflestick (insert title here)

Jun 24, 2010
    United States
    US
    switch I'd say would be 9th, whereas Xbox X/PS4 Pro 8th because there isn't exclusives for them. You can play the same games on the original hardware

Last edited by wafflestick, Dec 1, 2017
  4. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I guess 9th, but think it can be argue that it is a first/new generation altogether since it is a true hybrid console.

5. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I consider the concept of "Generations" is obsolete already, as obsolete as the nomenclature of 8/16/32/64/128/256/--- bits for consoles.
    I agree with Microsoft, there will probably be no more "generations" but an endless iterative backwards and partially-forwards compatible progression, an ecosystem.

TotalInsanity4 and Memoir like this.
  6. Nerdtendo

Nerdtendo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 29, 2016
    United States
    Switch is an early 9th gen console, the others are upgrades of gen 8. I think of it like the New 3DS

chartube12 likes this.
  7. Langin

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    For me it is continuation of the eight generation of consoles. You could theorize that this is the ninth generation of consoles, but would every revision of a console then be a new generation in that case? I see the XBOX One X and the Playstation 4 Pro as a revised and stronger version of their counterpart.

Anyways, if we take any revision minor or not as a new generation of consoles it would not work out with the number in my humble opinion. It would be one hell of a mess since everyone will start going places with their own counting system. :) Because of that and the fact both next 4K consoles are more like a definitive edition of the HD counterparts, I would consider them a part of the eight HD generation. ^_^

The Nintendo Switch is an oddball, I love Nintendo, I love my Switch, I have no clue what generation it belongs to or even if it is considered a console or a handheld console... (Hybrid Generation 1 Anyone?)

8. Scarlet

Scarlet It's Basically Christmas

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    I've not really considered Nintendo a part of the console generations since the GameCube. After that, their systems simply haven't been on par with other products. They've always been a part of what I'd call a middle generation.

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Mid-gen upgrades.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

10. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    Switch is the only 9th console xbonex and p4pro is still gen 8

11. Noctosphere
    OP

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    yea... since the wii, nintendo made their console with the requirement of their game, wii was not much more powerful tahn xbox original, and wii u wasnt much more powerful than xb360
    they didnt took in consideration the games 3rd party would make that require higher requirements

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

updated the poll, change your vote if you prefer the new answer

12. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Actually it was about the normal console gen length, which is usually around 5 years. The 7th gen was abnormal almost twice the length of a standard console generation. Which is unfortunate because many people started with 7th gen, and now they seem to expect a console gen to last that long when they never really have. Go bad and look at previous consoles, you'll see they are all about 5 years other than 7th gen.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    The Wii U only lasted 4 1/2 years (isn't 6 the average for Nintendo consoles?) and the PS4 Pro was released even before the Switch, even though the PS4 came out after the Wii U

14. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    PS4 pro is still same gen though. Xbox one x is closer to being a new gen, but it's still too similar to be considered next gen. It's like how the n3ds is the same gen as o3ds, it's just a better revision of the same console. Though with these revisions we may see another extended console gen. Though at this point there isn't much more to go forward in terms of power. Which is mostly the only thing Sony and Microsoft bring with new generations, power. They might have to start doing what Nintendo has been doing for years, innovating how the game is played rather the just pushing the same gameplay with more power. It's why Nintendo still does well (in most cases), because even with the lower power they tend to bring fresh ideas to the hardware and gameplay aspect of the console.

Seliph and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  15. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    I'd say they're all 9th except for the PS4. The PS4 pro isn't really a huge step up but the Switch is, with the Xbox 1 X to a lesser extent. The Xbox 1 X is basically Microsoft's version of the Wii U, just without a bigass gamepad and awful third party support.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  16. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    9th for Nintendo, Sony and MS only refined their gen 8 systems.