Polopop123

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
I'd be cursed hundreds of times, because I never sent any stupid chain mail... oh wait, that's something different... I mean any stupid chain letter to any other person.

To me curses are bogus just like everything people still believe in, just because you can't scientifically disprove something that you can't prove either. The closest you'll get is something like this: If once a week you have bad luck and think you are cursed, think about all the other days you didn't have bad luck.
It's all perception and nothing more. If you believe in something, you WILL find ways to justify that.
Those chain letter curses are stupid and there is no real purpose to it
Ones like Bloody Mary, you may not believe in it but I bet you wouldn’t do it

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
I do I mean my strategy of using curse is quite special in pokemon especially ghost types.

But I don't believe in cursing nowadays it just useless everybody just uses the words, fuck is no longer fuck anymore.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
aaaahhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!! . . . . its the ghost of the ghost thread :bow:
The ghost thread was fireworks and hilarity though (a bunch of minor Christian denominations with fairly out there views trying to interpret scripture also with young modern American take on Christianity, Yil, a bit of Islam thrown in for fun and a dash of new wave spiritualism). This has nothing like that yet.

I do I mean my strategy of using curse is quite special in pokemon especially ghost types.

But I don't believe in cursing nowadays it just useless everybody just uses the words, fuck is no longer fuck anymore.

Through great effort Americans, and possibly Canadians, have brought back cunt. Sadly for these purposes it is still punctuation in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ghost thread was fireworks and hilarity though (a bunch of minor Christian denominations with fairly out there views trying to interpret scripture also with young modern American take on Christianity, Yil, a bit of Islam thrown in for fun and a dash of new wave spiritualism). This has nothing like that yet.
we got Yil so we are 1/3 the way there

APartOfMe

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Through great effort Americans, and possibly Canadians, have brought back cunt. Sadly for these purposes it is still punctuation in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
"out there views" is relative

let's begin...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"out there views" is relative

let's begin...
Your debate partners counted a Hutterite ( http://gbatemp.net/entry/goodbye.13240/ ) and some flavour of Jehovah's Witness if previous threads are anything to go by. Compared to churches for weddings, funerals and maybe Easter and Christmas mass for the especially devout of modern mainstream Christianity you would be hard pressed to make a "relative" argument.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FAST6191 Cause I have misotheistic tendencies?
why is not important . . . we just need to speed this up a bit . . . the ghost of Halloween future says he will curse me if there is not a "do you believe in witchcraft/magic" thread by the the end of the month, so we gotta finish this one quickly :whip:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@FAST6191 Cause I have misotheistic tendencies?
Not at all, though I suppose such things don't hurt where the others in the mix number those that really do enjoy the idea of a god or gods.

It is more where said same try to interpret your postings, said postings stemming from what seems like a fairly interesting personal philosophy of the universe and what definitely seems like an eventful person through their lenses that it all spirals and really kicks off. I can't do what you do, even when playing devil's advocate, and mostly just have to be endlessly rational which is seldom a good place to start from with the religious and invested in it.

why is not important . . . we just need to speed this up a bit . . . the ghost of Halloween future says he will curse me if there is not a "do you believe in witchcraft/magic" thread by the the end of the month, so we gotta finish this one quickly :whip:
We got it covered about two years ago
http://gbatemp.net/threads/is-using-black-magik-bad.397641/

Reactions: VinsCool

Enlapse

Trophies
XP
Country
You seem like you have some problems with scepticism. Care to elaborate further at all?

"we don't know"
But can be fairly sure as we do have a fair understanding of physics, have never had a quantifiable/demonstrable case and can replicate the effects easily enough from a psychological/sociological standpoint. I am curious how you have pulled things from seemingly a variety of different cultures, as indeed such a thing evolving separately with subtle but important differences in parallel and in relation to local cultural norms (the classic one being look at all the pre literate tribal religions and how they all play out differently from places where the word (of the lord/god/ninja king) means any magic and mysticism tends to be based on such things) is often a good reason to dismiss them.

"Ouija" is a game made in the late 1800s.

I should also encourage you to look up something called Pascal's wager or Pascal's gambit as you are about 90% of the way to reinventing it
http://www.iep.utm.edu/pasc-wag/

Ooookay. Since my english is not as good as I'd like to admit, I think you were serious about everything you said (I mean, you weren't sarcastic), I will read what you linked me tomorrow or so, since I can't do it at the moment. For sure, it will be something interesting.

Now, I am not sceptical. If something is true, is true. But I am always open to new truths, if they can be proven to be right. The problem here is that I don't know everything, and in situations where I know something isn't true (like something about spiritism, folkore and so on,unexplicable logically in that moment), as every person on earth capable of feel terror, doubt if, perhaps, something like that could exist or happen (like ghosts). The power of suggestion. We can know everything, but something or somebody, in a determined situation, can make us doubt about our knowledge.

The thing I tried to say, and sorry if I didn't made it clear, is that everybody in a determined situation with a specific condition can change what he thinks he knows. Fear is a great example of it. So, in normal conditions, like now: I don't believe in ghosts nor anything related to spiritsm or "dark forces". But again, I can be manipulated by a determined situation with a specific condition.

Again, the power of suggestion.

Hope I was clear now, maybe is my english (sorry for not being perfect), but at least I tried to explain myself correctly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ooookay. Since my english is not as good as I'd like to admit, I think you were serious about everything you said (I mean, you weren't sarcastic), I will read what you linked me tomorrow or so, since I can't do it at the moment. For sure, it will be something interesting.

Now, I am not sceptical. If something is true, is true. But I am always open to new truths, if they can be proven to be right. The problem here is that I don't know everything, and in situations where I know something isn't true (like something about spiritism, folkore and so on,unexplicable logically in that moment), as every person on earth capable of feel terror, doubt if, perhaps, something like that could exist or happen (like ghosts). The power of suggestion. We can know everything, but something or somebody, in a determined situation, can make us doubt about our knowledge.

The thing I tried to say, and sorry if I didn't made it clear, is that everybody in a determined situation with a specific condition can change what he thinks he knows. Fear is a great example of it. So, in normal conditions, like now: I don't believe in ghosts nor anything related to spiritsm or "dark forces". But again, I can be manipulated by a determined situation with a specific condition.

Again, the power of suggestion.

Hope I was clear now, maybe is my english (sorry for not being perfect), but at least I tried to explain myself correctly.

Scepticism is not the same as being sceptical about something. Scepticism is generally defined as the thought process, maybe philosophy, where you try to figure out how the world works using rational thought and enquiry. Contrast it to say a fair few religions where "if in holy book it must be true or at least need to be interpreted "properly" such that it is", and can't just be that someone wrote a book a few thousand years ago when the understanding of the universe was not as.

"can change what he thinks he knows. Fear is a great example of it."
The English phrase you probably want to look up is "there are no atheists in foxholes" (referring to war where you might dig a hole, commonly called a foxhole, as you are being shelled such that you have a better chance of survival). Not a great phrase from where I sit as there are plenty which are.
Another phrase from a favourite sci fi book (the Dune series)

I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.

Personally I do find fear to be a less and less useful concept in the modern world, similar to the drive that says I should eat foods with lots of fat, salt and sugar because those things are rare in plains dwelling Africa 10000 years ago when humans evolved and those that made the effort to do such things tended to survive better. Just as you might discourage someone from eating fatty sugar with salt I would also discourage fear.

"like ghosts"
I did actually cover most things we see defined as ghosts (it varies quite radically between cultures). For them to exist within physics would break a lot of physics we know to work quite well and could easily demonstrate, said ghosts having no great incentive to hide and in some cases apparently not even the smarts to want to do so.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Scepticism is not the same as being sceptical about something. Scepticism is generally defined as the thought process, maybe philosophy, where you try to figure out how the world works using rational thought and enquiry. Contrast it to say a fair few religions where "if in holy book it must be true or at least need to be interpreted "properly" such that it is", and can't just be that someone wrote a book a few thousand years ago when the understanding of the universe was not as.

"can change what he thinks he knows. Fear is a great example of it."
The English phrase you probably want to look up is "there are no atheists in foxholes" (referring to war where you might dig a hole, commonly called a foxhole, as you are being shelled such that you have a better chance of survival). Not a great phrase from where I sit as there are plenty which are.
Another phrase from a favourite sci fi book (the Dune series)

Personally I do find fear to be a less and less useful concept in the modern world, similar to the drive that says I should eat foods with lots of fat, salt and sugar because those things are rare in plains dwelling Africa 10000 years ago when humans evolved and those that made the effort to do such things tended to survive better. Just as you might discourage someone from eating fatty sugar with salt I would also discourage fear.

"like ghosts"
I did actually cover most things we see defined as ghosts (it varies quite radically between cultures). For them to exist within physics would break a lot of physics we know to work quite well and could easily demonstrate, said ghosts having no great incentive to hide and in some cases apparently not even the smarts to want to do so.
When I think about ghost now, I think how to describe them and in turn the entire arcane study, once applied mathematically, can be used for engineering.
But the thing is, once we take away something's sacredness people might disregard it completely. Not everyone is an absurb hero cause I for one is slowly reaching the state of Absolute asshole.

Last edited by Yil,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like to interact with my smut ok