Android Do some apps actually make system slower?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking online about what to do about slow speed on android, i noticed some people mentioned apps like facebook and the messenger supposedly makes the overall system slower. So i wasn't sure about it but wanted to ask if anyone else had ideas? I would assume is cause is a app that constantly running even if you aren't using it, even starts when you reboot system so i dunno, maybe.:unsure:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Same as any OS really. If an application is there using memory and the occasional CPU cycle and other resources then some other applications, most noticeably those that are fairly high performance, may well be slower.

Messenger applications and facebook, assuming you have some kind of feed/notifications in it, will sit in memory and routinely suck down some cycles and network bandwidth. If they are coded well it will not be much, or indeed may only be noticeable if you go looking for it, but a lot of places just employ coders that don't really care so you may be somewhat further from that ideal.

Simple test though. Disable them or uninstall them and then run the tests for whatever you noticed it on.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was looking online about what to do about slow speed on android, i noticed some people mentioned apps like facebook and the messenger supposedly makes the overall system slower. So i wasn't sure about it but wanted to ask if anyone else had ideas? I would assume is cause is a app that constantly running even if you aren't using it, even starts when you reboot system so i dunno, maybe.:unsure:
Ok, for this we need to break it out a little bit.

First of all, it all depends on the specs of your phone, sure you can have 6gb of ram, but if its a chinese clone, with a mtk processor, evntually will get slow with some apps.

Not, let say you got a Midium End phone, a galaxy note 4, most of the times it would run alright, tough, every carries has its own BLOAT on the phones, thats why its always recomend to debloat the phone, or install a custom rom, this depends on your needs.

Also, some apps are pretty high memory use or not optimized, Facebook, trough the years has incfeased the size of the expandable data on the phone by A LOT, and uses high amount of ram, even on idle, so does messenger app.

Now, this also depends on the size of the storage and the ram, as well as the partition of the system, kernels also do their job here.

Several apps also include Memory leaks which decrease the phones performance.

If you do not desire to root your phone, and the apps causing the issues are System Apps, you can always freeze them, some apps cant be freezes by disableing them via phone, they need to be disabled via PC with some apps ;D [No root needed].

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Yep, since especially a lot of Android apps run in the background (and on startup) run in the background and can hog up quite a bit of memory *cough* messenger *cough*. I use third party apps for facebook and twitter (metal and smart facebook) for my social media needs since they're much lighter, take up alot less space and usually have their own built-in messenger. Android can become polluted quite easily, which is why most people prefer iOS since they don't really know how to prevent Android from being slow.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So wouldn't just stopping the app not work, it will eventually just start up again on its own anyway i think. Is usually just something i saw while online and wasn't sure if there was something to do about it besides getting rid of it. My mom uses facebook, and cause they decided to add a seperate messenger for it, it was just something she kept asking about why everything slow, it lags and her inputs get severly delayed, and randomly freeze or ask to stop app.

My own tablet is rooted and is Nvidia shield, so i don't have a hardware performance issue but i still get slow downs sometimes. Even though i don't always use apps.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again you are treating android like it is some magical system when in fact it is just a version of Linux that is a bit beholden to Java. If you know the general theory of operations for finding what is causing slowdowns on any old computer then it will apply here too.

If you stop them then they should stay stopped until reboot (not sure if there are any strange hooks that will relaunch them) or you start them again. As a permanent fix it would leave something to be desired, however it should allow you to tell if it is that thing causing your problem.

From there you can then take further measures. It was mentioned above that the official applications, or maybe those your device maker bundles, might be badly coded pieces of junk and I can well believe that. Should it turn out to be the case then consider that the push to then investigate third party clients and alternative methods.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again you are treating android like it is some magical system when in fact it is just a version of Linux that is a bit beholden to Java. If you know the general theory of operations for finding what is causing slowdowns on any old computer then it will apply here too.

If you stop them then they should stay stopped until reboot (not sure if there are any strange hooks that will relaunch them) or you start them again. As a permanent fix it would leave something to be desired, however it should allow you to tell if it is that thing causing your problem.

From there you can then take further measures. It was mentioned above that the official applications, or maybe those your device maker bundles, might be badly coded pieces of junk and I can well believe that. Should it turn out to be the case then consider that the push to then investigate third party clients and alternative methods.

also taking into account, that all software runs under a layer of a virtual machine on android.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs