Hacking Do i need to update A9LH to B9S?

parisi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have some time that i havent used my 3ds. Im on 11.4 cfw version and 7.04 luma version. Ive seen that a lot of people have switched from a9lh to b9s. Whats the difference between these two? Should i update it or its not necessary?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You should update and it's necessary to update to B9S for future CFW updates (including both Luma3DS, ReiNAND, and most likely any future CFW to come.)
B9S is basically the upgrade version of A9LH, which allows for more technical features to be achieved for devs due to the deeper hardware access.. For the enduser it's a faster entrypoint that allows deeper access to the system's hardware.
But the most important feature is going to be future updates. Since recent games like Ever Oasis added a new encryption method, it's best to assume that future games will follow. Which means earlier CFWs will start loosing support for future games.

Reactions: parisi and wormdood

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Basically, Boot9Strap is now the "standard" entrypoint of the scene. As such, any new CFWs and tools will most likely be mainly aimed at and tested with it.

In addition to that, some CFWs outright dropped support for ARM9LoaderHax (Luma3DS being one of those). Which means, in this case, that no new Luma release will be made for A9LH.

Reactions: parisi

CrispyCola

zero-two
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
There really isnt any need to.
Yea, it is technically a faster entrypoint. However, it's so miniscule no one in hell will have a chance of noticing it. Also, everyone's saying Luma in A9LH format could be patched in an update, but since when has anyone agreed that a9lh could be patched. Even if there is an update, there's a marvelous invention called declining the update. Also, B9S is a bit more tedious to update and work with etc in my opinion.
Apologies if i was incorrect on anything, been out of the 3DS loop since March.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by CrispyCola,

TheLegendofMario

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.
Yea, it is technically a faster entrypoint. However, it's so miniscule no one in hell will have a chance of noticing it. Also, everyone's saying Luma in A9LH format could be patched in an update, but since when has anyone agreed that a9lh could be patched. Even if there is an update, there's a marvelous invention called declining the update. Also, B9S is a bit more tedious to update and work with etc in my opinion.

Hey they aren't saying that A9LH will be patched, they are saying that Nintendo will release an update one day that 7.05 won't support.

Reactions: parisi and Ryccardo

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No.
A9LH can't be patched out, that's not the issue. The issue is is that the last two CFW teams have basically dropped support for A9LH (Luma officially dropped support and ReiNAND will be dropping support.) This means anyone still using A9LH will not see CFW updates and thus any future issues caused by our of date patches will not be fixed. The most recent example being that Ever Oasis have a newer encryption that prevents the older CFWs from booting it.

adrifcastr

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A9LH can't be patched out, that's not the issue. The issue is is that the last two CFW teams have basically dropped support for A9LH (Luma officially dropped support and ReiNAND will be dropping support.) This means anyone still using A9LH will not see CFW updates and thus any future issues caused by our of date patches will not be fixed. The most recent example being that Ever Oasis have a newer encryption that prevents the older CFWs from booting it.
well technically removing the arm9loader would kill a9lh

KeoniAzugon

Trophies
Website
Nblog.org
XP
Country
United States
It is like the issue when RXTools was still being used and A9LH came out. I was a RXTools user until N released an update that basically killed RXTools. A plus side with B9S is how fast it installs or can upgrade from A9LH, that was impressive. As it stands, the way the new Luma works is a plus side as well in how homebrew is launched. Based on all these facts I would definitely update but i have a missing button so i'm forced to wait till a replacement arrives.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't fix what ain't broke.
It's not that A9LH is broken or needs to be fixed, it that it's both lost support from Luma3DS and loosing support from everything else.
Not to mention it literally takes less than 5 minutes to update and there's no risks to updating.

parisi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thnx guys, i completed the guide and i updated luma, but im not sure if i did it correctly or not.

Attachments

• IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    844.1 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_3329.JPG
    IMG_3329.JPG
    906.8 KB · Views: 399

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins