Gaming Do EUR games differentiate from US games?

GaaraPrime

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Well, I've been playing games since the NES era, and I've played games on almost all consoles including PSone, PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, GC, Wii, PSP, and DSL.

So far from what I've seen, US games are always "true to the original" aka nothing is censored or cut, etc., and over these years, I've developed this sort of "preference" where I always prefer playing the US version game/ISO/ROM just to get that "the way it was meant to be played" feeling.

Hence, I was wondering if this was also the case with the 3DS, aka do you guys think/know whether US games/roms are "superior" (uncut, uncensored) in every way compared to EUR games/roms.

I have a N3DS XL AU (PAL) and my Gateway is on its way. I also have Cubic Ninja, and I'll be ripping the private header off of it and use it on any game/rom I intend to play online.

So, in this scenario, do you think I should just stick to EUR roms/games or should I go with US roms/games. Or is it that it just doesn't make any difference when it comes to 3DS.

Any input on this is highly appreciated :)

Thanx a lot in advance :)

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time no but sometimes they do.

An example is Luigis Mansion on GameCube has more stuff to do.

GaaraPrime

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Other language translations differs.
Look at zelda and mario games.

Same game, but completely different language scripts.

That I am aware of and don't really care as I only care about English language. As long as it's the "original" game and nothing is cut or censored and is in English, I am happy with it.

I just don't wanna end up investing my time and experiencing something from which some things were cut out because the relevant country or ANYTHING for that matter didn't approve of that stuff and hence it was removed/edited out from the game.

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think one example of this was the Australian version of Bravely Default censored some parts. Look up Bravely Default Australian Censorship, you'll find some articles.

Generally the US versions are never censored, and rarely the EU versions are different, but not 100% of the time.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think one example of this was the Australian version of Bravely Default censored some parts. Look up Bravely Default Australian Censorship, you'll find some articles.

Generally the US versions are never censored, and rarely the EU versions are different, but not 100% of the time.

the US version was censored, the EU version wasnt

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well, I've been playing games since the NES era, and I've played games on almost all consoles including PSone, PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, GC, Wii, PSP, and DSL.

So far from what I've seen, US games are always "true to the original" aka nothing is censored or cut, etc., and over these years, I've developed this sort of "preference" where I always prefer playing the US version game/ISO/ROM just to get that "the way it was meant to be played" feeling.

Hence, I was wondering if this was also the case with the 3DS, aka do you guys think/know whether US games/roms are "superior" (uncut, uncensored) in every way compared to EUR games/roms.

I have a N3DS XL AU (PAL) and my Gateway is on its way. I also have Cubic Ninja, and I'll be ripping the private header off of it and use it on any game/rom I intend to play online.

So, in this scenario, do you think I should just stick to EUR roms/games or should I go with US roms/games. Or is it that it just doesn't make any difference when it comes to 3DS.

Any input on this is highly appreciated :)

Thanx a lot in advance :)
For DS games I usually preferred the U version because it usually only had English language which meant the ROM would be smaller.
On 3DS I would go with the region of your console, makes it easier to download updates as you can just get them from the eShop.
There doesn't seem to be any big difference between different regions of most games.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol that's a first. Usually, it's the other way around XD

Even I would like to know that :)

What was so bad in Bravely Default that warranted censorship?

Apparently the outfits? It's freaking stupid

Untitled.png

nanika

文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fire Emblem fanservice DLC was censored differently in both regions.
In Japan, people talk about groping bouncy boobs and butts, and you see a picture of both.
In America, people talk about groping bouncy boobs, and you see a picture with a curtain over the butt. (This was originally a moving image, but is simply frozen to add the American curtain)
In Europe, people talk about groping bouncy hair, but you can see the untouched image, hair and all.

As previously mentioned, Nintendo of Europe often does European English translations now since the DS era, which are completely different to the US English ones.
They both have English, but the translation is completely different. In most cases, the European one is reportedly usually kept closer to the the source Japanese, but this does not always apply.
One particularly documented case is Advance Wars: Dark Conflict, though even Zelda games have given characters completely different names and so on lately.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USA is often the one who is censoring games. language, Nudity, blood and religious elements were (are ?) always removed.
Then the censored version is the one used to translate and localize in Europe, so european usually get the "bad" version too.
Japan was the one with less censorship.

If you played games for that long, you would know that FF4 is censored in USA, that Xenogears barely made it to USA in condition that it get censored too, Mother/Earthbound is censored,
all because of religious graphics or sound.
castlevania because of nudity, etc.
FF6 is censored too (Bar -> cafe)
Mario RPG has an edited bowser sprite because original was too offensive.
All are games which passed to USA first (if not never released in europe).

Censorship exists in other region too (no more heroes, beyond two sould, last of us, etc.), but saying USA is not censoring is wrong.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah, if it has to much naked stuff or to much religious stuff in it, it gets censored in the US, in Germany it used to be Blood and nazi symbols (Blood had to be green in alot of games of the past in Germany)
In Belgium it's the same as in France/Netherlands/UK, almost not, unless it would be really offensive to the local people

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: A PS3 pkg i downloaded