Gaming DmC Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition & Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition announced

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No wonder Capcom bleeds money. Original release of DmC sells well below expectations, so they remaster it. Losing money once was not enough?
I think they're trying to test which DMC will come out on top to know if they must continue with the good old DMC, or the not-so-good new DmC. Fifty cents that DMC4 will sell more than the other one, because let's face it: With unlikable in-name-only characters, dumbed down gameplay compared to the originals, and Tameem Antoniades' attitude, the damage is already done for the reboot game.

And it's funny that people here are calling the game's hatedom butthurt, when the one who became really butthurt over the game's low sales was one certain journalist who strawmanized the hell out the people who refused to buy the game.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
DmC really wasn't a bad game. Kind of like with a few other sequels from these past few years, it would be a great game if it wasn't a Devil May Cry game, essentially. Then again, I've played Devil May Cry 1 - 3 and some of 4, and I have to say, I don't get why people pine so badly for sequels in that vain. Maybe it's because I didn't play the games when they were brand spanking new, and rather, the first three on a PS3 via the HD collection, but, I mean, they were fun. They just weren't that fun. And if I'm not mistaken, Devil May Cry 4 wasn't really reviewed badly, but was rather obscure outside of fans of the series, which is probably why the redesign happened. They figured the Devil May Cry ship had sailed and were trying to appeal to a broader audience.

If you look at Metacritic, especially at the user reviews section, it is primarily butthurt fans that are basically saying "this isn't a sequel to a series with kind of archaic mechanics and progression methods". The user reviews are brought down by an almost equal number of negative reviews to the positive ones that are likely mostly from people that haven't even played the game (since you don't have to actually leave a review when you rate). DmC was certainly unfairly attacked because it dared to reimagine a series that didn't really have anywhere else to go, refusing to try to remaster mechanics and level design that didn't really click with modern game design. This seems even more likely when you see that all these angry people apparently didn't even bother to rate Devil May Cry 4, with the number of ratings for DmC dwarfing Devil May Cry 4 in comparison.

That isn't to say that DmC didn't have its share of issues, but it certainly deserved to sell better than it did. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to dig up accurate sales numbers, as the PC sales numbers weren't logged when I searched around, but between the PS3 and 360, it still sold over a million copies, so I'm sure they at least recouped their development costs. The only reason it didn't sell more was because the original fan base basically abandoned the game and refused to give it a shot, meaning that most of those 1+ million copies were probably from people that hadn't played Devil May Cry before.

Remember all, older is not simply better. The older Devil May Cry games feel like old games now. They have aged pretty badly, and the only reason you wouldn't think that is if you were a fan of the series to begin with. It's kind of like when people shit on the newer RE games because they aren't RE 1 - 3. As fun as RE 1 - 3 were before, and as fun as they may still be for those who experienced them 15 years ago, they are still clunky as shit and have aged like a turd, so newer games in the same vain would sell like shit, which is why RE4 happened, starting a transition (one that I would argue is still incomplete).

Honestly, Capcom may fuck up, but I give them kudos for not being content with just leaving everything as is, spinning out lackluster sequel after lackluster sequel just because people are so stuck in the past on feelings of nostalgia. With that said, I will still shit on them for whoring Street Fighter.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice going... That 'special edition' would have sounded nice. But thanks to that other announcement, nobody will buy it because it isn't a definitive version.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Watched the trailer and THIS looks AWESOME! And finally, Dante gets a really good looking jacket in this game, his original jacket and alternate skins in the original version sucked! The DMC jacket looks sooo nice, original jacket looked too poverty. I'm betting this is the best representation of what Ninja Theory's Dante would look like if they were to do a DmC 2 any time in the future. The game itself was a lot of fun to play though IMHO. Hoping for a PC release or an upgrade for Steam users.

2q81pgx.jpg

1tsb9j.jpg

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
DmC game is qutie good. Didn't get enough popularity because fanbois whining. Doesn't change the fact that this 'definitive edition' is a joke, when i see 1080p and 60fps on a whole screen as if it was some big feature i can only feel pity.

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donte game looks playable now. I might give it a shot. Definitely looking forward to DMC4SE Vergil though!

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Great just what we needed, more and more games to rehash or charge full price(almost) just to throw onto "next gen" systems. What's next Mega man X HD remastered Collection.

I'd actually be interested in a Mega Man: HD Collection with ALL Mega Man games and heck, they could charge full retail price for it I'd go for it! They could even call it "Special Edition" or "Collector's Edition".

I have zero interest on these DMC HD remastered games, though.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd actually be interested in a Mega Man: HD Collection with ALL Mega Man games and heck, they could charge full retail price for it I'd go for it! They could even call it "Special Edition" or "Collector's Edition".

I have zero interest on these DMC HD remastered games, though.

I guess that Mega Man statement was kind of hard to compare to since many people including myself would love to see some sort of Mega Man collection.
I also don't see why more games keep getting ported from last gen into something remastered or "definitive" as much as I liked DmC is as much as I have seen people complain about it.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
I guess that Mega Man statement was kind of hard to compare to since many people including myself would love to see some sort of Mega Man collection.
I also don't see why more games keep getting ported from last gen into something remastered or "definitive" as much as I liked DmC is as much as I have seen people complain about it.
I dunno. The remastering into next gen isn't that big of an issue yet. The main examples I can think of are games that were released on last gen after the current gen consoles came out, and brought to current gen a little later on. Except for The Last of Us, this is the only other game that comes to mind that is ultimately just an enhanced port to the current gen.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Remember all, older is not simply better.

Except in this case, it is.

The combat system in any of the old games (except 2, 2 is shit, everyone knows it), the thing that matters for action games like this is far better than DmC.

DmC doesn't even have a hard lock. Ridiculous, having the game decide who you should be focused on attacking, rather than letting you pick is stupid.

When you have to advertise for the remaster that you have "Manual Target Lock", then you know you fucked up.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A lot of games from the last gen were basically running at like half power. Play a game like Sleeping Dogs on the PS3 then play it on the PC at max and you'll see a huge difference.

The up porting is essentially just taking the last gen games that run at "minimum" settings and bumping it up to max. For some games it benefits it nicely, like I think The Last of Us Remastered is absolutely gorgeous and benefits from the hardware entirely. Some games, I think you got a good enough experience on the console before, like Tomb Raider.

There's also a lot of games that are just kinda "cross platform", like Wolfenstein and GTA V, both of which I think run amazingly on the PS4.

I'd welcome new games more than ports but I think some of the ports/remasters do benefit from being on a much more powerful system. It kinda proves that there is a substantial gap between the last gen and this gen.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A lot of games from the last gen were basically running at like half power. Play a game like Sleeping Dogs on the PS3 then play it on the PC at max and you'll see a huge difference.

The up porting is essentially just taking the last gen games that run at "minimum" settings and bumping it up to max. For some games it benefits it nicely, like I think The Last of Us Remastered is absolutely gorgeous and benefits from the hardware entirely. Some games, I think you got a good enough experience on the console before, like Tomb Raider.

There's also a lot of games that are just kinda "cross platform", like Wolfenstein and GTA V, both of which I think run amazingly on the PS4.

I'd welcome new games more than ports but I think some of the ports/remasters do benefit from being on a much more powerful system. It kinda proves that there is a substantial gap between the last gen and this gen.

Half power ? I dunno, sure there were few exceptions that clearly were pushing the edge on console. but i wouldn't say the difference was that much in most games. Sure pc games looked better, but not that much. Actually i still tend to get a last gen feeling in quite a lot of newer games. Also in case of sleeping dogs at least they had the decency to put in better textures and add some effects. Dunno bout last of us though, don't plan to get the any current gens for years, my pc easily does way better graphics, then again i'll prolly get one once there's enough good exclusives.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Half power ? I dunno, sure there were few exceptions that clearly were pushing the edge on console. but i wouldn't say the difference was that much in most games. Sure pc games looked better, but not that much. Actually i still tend to get a last gen feeling in quite a lot of newer games. Also in case of sleeping dogs at least they had the decency to put in better textures and add some effects. Dunno bout last of us though, don't plan to get the any current gens for years, my pc easily does way better graphics, then again i'll prolly get one once there's enough good exclusives.

As someone who has played both The Last of Us and the Remastered version, I can say the Remastered version is heavily superior. Everything looks better and runs at 60FPS.

Yeah, the PC will play it "way better", but it also cost you more than $400.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As someone who has played both The Last of Us and the Remastered version, I can say the Remastered version is heavily superior. Everything looks better and runs at 60FPS.

Yeah, the PC will play it "way better", but it also cost you more than $400.

Which you easily make up in game prices ;p + way more possibilities ;) Anyway i'll prolly get ps4, just gotta wait few years for it to drop price and have a nice library, i've only bought ps3 around year+ ago and i still have a huge backlog ;)

Well i guess i can believe the last of us, after all even last uncharted seemed like something that would look way better at more powerful hardware, however those games are minority. To be honest the only game that looked quite new gen i've played recently was last cod, and it still looked better on my old gpu than on ps4 (yea i've upgraded recently).

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Except in this case, it is.

The combat system in any of the old games (except 2, 2 is shit, everyone knows it), the thing that matters for action games like this is far better than DmC.

DmC doesn't even have a hard lock. Ridiculous, having the game decide who you should be focused on attacking, rather than letting you pick is stupid.

When you have to advertise for the remaster that you have "Manual Target Lock", then you know you fucked up.
The lack of manual lock didn't make the game a hulking pile of shit like so many people would try to have you believe though. 99% of what you're fighting doesn't need to be fought in any discernible order anyways, so 9 times out of 10, you'll be just fine even without the manual target lock. They only mention it explicitly because people bitched about it. Yeah, it's nice, but at the same time, it isn't as if no manual target lock is game breaking. Really, all they did was address things that people complained about, period, the largest of which seems to be focused on the appearance of the characters, and most of it being stuff that generally won't make a game significantly better or worse.

Even without the manual target lock, DmC had a lot of promise and was a fun game to play, and I hope that by essentially bending to whiny fans and their bitching, that DmC sells reasonably well on PS4 and X1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"