DISCLAIMER - READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

Discussion in 'World News, Current Events & Politics' started by Costello, Jan 11, 2018 at 3:56 AM.

1. 330

330 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2017
    Antarctica
    Comfy nest
    I don't follow what you're trying to say here. How is that related to knowing news and laws? Generic news about murders and such are rarely news worthy because they're 5% information and 95% speculation and useless information like the killer's background
    It's ok, I still think you're nice :)

2. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Which is exactly the case when reporters report stupid things like that.
    1 person getting fined due to a silly law doesn't mean it's a widely enforced thing.

A wise man recently said, and I quote:

3. Noj

Noj Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    I heard a saying along the lines of there are
    Lies
    bloddy lies
    and then there are statistics
    So as to say statistics can be used to make any point but mean nothing other than gross manipulation of facts and figures skewed to prove any view point

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

4. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Welcome to Planet Earth.
    Put on your tinfoil hats and buckle your spacebelts.
    You're in for a hell of a ride!

5. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Actually, at least the thing about being overweight in Japan is true, although exceptions are made for foreigners, people with health issues, etc.. It IS enforced and you HAVE to get checked by a physician once every year. If you are past what is allowed, you get given 2 weeks to improve, unless you are bellow limit or at least considerably closer to it during the reexamination, you get fined. It's not even that it happens rarely to get fined, it's just that few cases stand out of the many that happen every year.

But this talk is meaningless anyway, so dropping it:P

DinohScene likes this.
  6. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I have a completely different view of what should happen with society but eh.

I'm happy the way I live me life.
    No politician or other fool can change anything about that.

7. MaverickWellington

MaverickWellington *BRAAAPPPPT*

Nov 24, 2017
    United States
    Treat this like 4chan's furry board. Make it a honeypot for everyone to start discussing stuff in and then just permaban everyone.

Noj and ThoD like this.
  8. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Maniac (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    Same here, I live my life however I feel like, may not be as happy as I would have liked, but at least I enjoy it this way better! The Japan overweight law though is the main reason I'm left hanging and still considering where I would like to stay when I retire... I may be young, but I really want to have that decided from now.:P

Btw, not overweight or anything, pretty damn slim, but I'm tall so its more like bulk and because of that it goes over the allowed limit...

9. Noj

Noj Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    Yeah its called drug induced psychosis/skitzophrenia

10. Noj

Noj Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    That said only a fool has a closed mind

11. dAVID_

dAVID_ GBAtemp's Official Onion Cricket

Oct 23, 2016
    Mexico
    Your basement
    I know this is very off-topic, but what is up with the "charge" function. How can we use this currency?

12. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Glad you know what you're on.

Noj likes this.
  13. 330

330 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2017
    Antarctica
    Comfy nest
    I think you're missing the point. I'm not saying that you should glue your eyes to the news outlets with great details about what's going on, just enough to get a general vision of what's happening around you.

With my example of stupid laws I wanted to make a point about knowing the laws of your country. There are special newspapers or websites that are specific about laws updates and such, or they will be featured in a mainstream news outlet anyway if they're very scandalous. You will get in trouble if you break the law even though you didn't know it. While some older laws are never enforced, some fairly recent ones are.

As for my example about the killer, while I don't care on what kind of drug the person is or their past, I want to know how they look like or when they strike the most, if it happened near a place where I live or I often visit. Not only I will keep an eye out for myself, but also give useful information to the police if I see anything. That also works with wild animals getting near houses (happens far more than you think), thieves, bad weather predictions and such. Even when something I don't like happens and I want to do something about it.

Are news outlets often biased and pointless? I agree. It took me a while to find a good resource but I opted for WSJ in the end with a quick look at my local newspaper.

Again, I'm not forcing you into changing your way of life or anything. I just find it wrong and wanted to share my own opinion. If you still think it's not wort it, feel free to :) no hard feelings. I might be smart but I'm not perfect. Everyone should live the way they want to.

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    tbh I usually only look to news sites if I hear something specific has happened, don't get me wrong I have a cursory glance over headlines on my internet homepage, but most news is full of stupid crap about men having babies........but oh yeah its a woman really, and stupid "omg trump drunk some water", that's not to mention the BS stories that just pick a point they want to prove then try and piece together some evidence to back it up and omit anything that would cast any doubt on their assertion

local newspapers are ok generally as they just focus on local stuff and don't bang on about BS for the most part

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jan 13, 2018 at 1:25 AM
    Ryccardo likes this.
  15. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    had to delete a bunch of insulting posts just now.

I amended the first post to make sure people understand that if their posts get moderated, it's not because the mod disagrees with their opinion or arguments. Your point may be valid, but if you're going to talk down to people, you won't last long.

WeedZ, matpower, VinsCool and 3 others like this.
  16. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Indeed they should.
    I never really cared much for the news anyway.
    Whiney fools complaining about dumb shit.
    If there is a world event, it's a little different then but other then that.
    Meh, pass.

ThoD likes this.
  17. Noj

Noj Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2017
    Australia
    I love it