Hacking Disc backup launchers?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They don't even work on newer wiis, so I'd say its safe to assume they'll never work on a Wii U.

The DVD drive commands required for reading burned discs were intended for movie viewing (a feature canned in development). They served no legitimate purpose on Wii and were removed in newer model drives. It'd be extremely silly if they added those commands back in Wii U.

notoc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming they pay lesser if no licensing fees for not including dvd/bd video playback, and chances of this working are incredibly low however I still felt it was worth a shot. Perhaps those of you in the US could start a wiki with homebrew compatibility in wii mode, until the rest of us can get started next week that is ;)

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming they pay lesser if no licensing fees for not including dvd/bd video playback
From what I understand, that was in fact one of the major reasons they canned the movie playback. License fees made the Wii too expensive, so they scrapped the feature. IIRC, if you rip a Wii's system menu apart, the DVD video icon is still in there...

Perhaps those of you in the US could start a wiki with homebrew compatibility in wii mode, until the rest of us can get started next week that is ;)
Most homebrew that doesn't need AHBPROT or cIOS and doesn't involve backup loading or installing something should work. I'd do some testing, but I don't have a Wii U to test with. :(

Also, Gecko OS seems to work fine, and someone is hopefully testing out of region games: http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-u-hacking-tests-report.337790/page-4

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice. Despite playing from USB has been more reliable and better than backup discs for roughly half the lifespan (what was it? 2008? 2009?), there are STILL people not knowing about it. :P

Ahem...aside from the discs almost certainly not being able to read it, the backup readers also require a cIOS (I think both of them work only with what's installed in slot 249). Without those (and somehow swapping the disc drive with an older wii model), you won't be able to do anything.

That wiki-list would simply be whatever homebrew doesn't need AHBPROT or any cIOS. Instead of testing all that, it would be better to wait until something gets released that allows for all that.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a side note, there is no evidence that AHBPROT exists on the vWii at all. It was included on the original Wiis only to test the hardware, and could likely be removed from the vWii with no repercussions. However, once the new IOS exploit is available, it should be possible to use that to install custom IOS's and things like Priiloader (so we can skip the stupid health and safety thing, copy copy protected saves, play out of region Wii games, move the disc channel, etc.).

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for confirming that. So that means Devolution could work, assuming tueidj comes up with a solution to the disc verifying problem.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AHBPROT still exists on the vWii.
Sweet thanks for the info crediar. I wonder why Nintendo left it in.

So that means Devolution could work, assuming tueidj comes up with a solution to the disc verifying problem.
I hope tueidj "fixes" the disc verifying problem by making Devolution open source.

Reactions: chaossaturn

gamax92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, if you rip a Wii's system menu apart, the DVD video icon is still in there...

Wiiunusedbanner.png

Yes the DVD icon is still there.
If you extract 00000001.app from SM, then /layout/common/diskBann.ash, then my_DVDDisk_a.tpl You get the image resulted above.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont think wii dvd-r loading will ever work on wii U. Nintendo is no stupid. They know everyone can burn dvd-r.
Now the question is, can the wii U drive read BD-R. Id say yes only if the drive has those commands. My guess is that it wont read BD-R because nintendo knows that the same thing will happen all over again.
I think that the first Wii U games might be dumped from vwii mode. Hackers will have to leard the drives commands first. as well as learn the security key to decrypt them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there