Homebrew Disabling 3DS LED Lights with Homebrew?

Kokonoe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can disable the yellow light turning off wireless, but as for power charging and the bright blue light that notifies you the system is powered on, you cannot disable those normally.

Is there a way via homebrew to disable these lights to where they are never on? The blue light in particular is bad for my eyes when I play in the dark. Thanks.

Reactions: yuyuyup

PabloMK7

Red Yoshi! ^ω^
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can disable the yellow light turning off wireless, but as for power charging and the bright blue light that notifies you the system is powered on, you cannot disable those normally.

Is there a way via homebrew to disable these lights to where they are never on? The blue light in particular is bad for my eyes when I play in the dark. Thanks.
I think someone tried, and it is possible (see ctraging) but if you do it incorrectly, you can get a MCU brick (cannot be recovered by NAND backup)

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I think someone tried, and it is possible (see ctraging) but if you do it incorrectly, you can get a MCU brick (cannot be recovered by NAND backup)
Also, the LED brick is a full MCU brick, which means that even if you hardmod the MCU to tap into the i2c lines to flash it you won't be able to recover.

Last edited by astronautlevel,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
But I can mess around with them safely in CTRAging, right?
Yeah, it's just sending a bad state that causes an irrecoverable MCU brick. CTRAging is made by Nintendo and should be fine.

I mean, in reality, as long as you don't try to run a fuzzer against the i2c (aka what yls8 did when he got the MCU brick) it shouldn't be too problematic...

Reactions: SomeGamer

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Maybe a little off-topic, but why does messing with the leds cause a brick?
You can brick the MCU firmware by sending a bad LED pattern to it. The MCU handles the i2c communication with the LED, and for some reason if you send a bad format it bricks it. I'm not too sure on the details of why exactly the MCU firmware can't handle it though,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
That CTRAging is temporal, it's just a test app. Just stick tape on the leds. Ta-da!
exactly what i do with the very bright blue led! a little piece of electrical tape and everything is ok.
a little bad side effect, i don't see when it is red, so sometimes i only know when my battery is low because when it is very low the notification led also starts flashing red.
then i know to plug it in!
or, just check the battery level every so often via the home menu... :)

Reactions: Ev1lbl0w

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
10/10 Best advice ever. That way, you'll see the LEDs but not the screen.
they said because of dark rooms the LEDs screw with their eyes.
i figured if you wear sunglasses it tones down on the screen AS WELL as the LEDs

also they're in a dark room, they're not gonna see anything in the dark anyways sooo..

Pokéidiot

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can try messing with LED patterns with ctrulib (in your own code), but doing it you risk a full MCU brick.
MCU bricks aren't recoverable even with NAND mod.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
No attempt at RE-ing the MCU firmware yet?
The 3dbrew page only lists it as "custom MCU", not even what it's based off of. What if it had internal storage?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)