Hacking Disable Sigchecking on Sky3DS with CFW; Is it possible?

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have had CFW installed on my 3DS console(s) for over a year now. However, I came into possession of a Sky3DS+ (orange button) and I wish to play ROM Hacks and Mods on it in .3ds format.

Is there any way to make the Sky3DS cart load the modified .3ds file? I have tried putting a .3ds file on it (that I know works) and it didn't load it, and marked it as a ".3ds.bad" file.
1a6mGve.png

I have my reasons for wanting to do this, including have friends and siblings with CFW consoles that I want to share the cart and saves with.

Often time when I ask for solutions for this, I get workarounds and suggestions like "just tell them to use the Luma mods feature and put the vanilla game on it" or whatnot. I'm not looking for a workaround, I just want this to work the way I want.

All of my consoles are CFW, so they are sigpatched, and all of the people who I wish to share the cart with are also sigpatched, so it's just a matter of getting the Sky to load it.

Thanks in advance.

OkazakiTheOtaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You should install it to .cia format for whichever game and enable game patching presuming it's Luma.
Yes...I know, but as I said in the OP this isn't really feasible and I've gotten suggestions like this before.

I could have sworn that about a year and a half ago I saw a post on here about someone finding a work around for this, but at the time I didn't have a Sky3DS so I didn't care about the post that much. Google isn't finding it either.

OkazakiTheOtaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I don't remember tbh (but I don't think), I did it on a Sky3DS V2 but I don't have it anymore.
Hmm. I literally just tried again and it did the same result.

I put a clean SMT IV rip on the Sky3DS and it works, but then an undub that was patched into that same .3ds file is marked as a .3ds.bad

This is on a Sky3DS orange button on Luma 8.1.1.

Not sure what the problem is with mine.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You could use external patching with HANS. I don't remember ever seeing a method to do it just on the Sky cart. Theoretically it should be impossible, because the console has to think it is a real cartridge. If the patched game never existed to buy then how could the 3DS think it is a real game?

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Or you can just put the clean ROM in the SKY3DS+ and use Luma's game patching. I'm using it like this and it works fine. I'm currently doing this for Asia81's Bravely Defaut/Second uncensor patch and some other undub or restauration content patches.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
hmmm, can you try the already patched .3DS roms for gateway from that iso site?
maybe on CFW they will work on Sky3DS+.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
I don't think they will. The problem is writing them - and on writing, the program won't know if you have CFW or not so it can't be expected to behave differently
maybe the new Gat..Sky..i mean StarGate3DS will be able to play them? they said "drag and drop" thing.

is sky3DS+ have writing program? or just drag or drop?

Reactions: Quantumcat

OkazakiTheOtaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Or you can just put the clean ROM in the SKY3DS+ and use Luma's game patching.
Again, as I've said twice in the thread, this won't work in this situation.

Theoretically it should be impossible, because the console has to think it is a real cartridge. If the patched game never existed to buy then how could the 3DS think it is a real game?
I guess what I'm really trying to do is figure out how the cart itself verifies whether a game is legitimate or not. Is it the Sky3DS's firmware? Is it an innate ability of the flashcart hardware?

It doesn't make much sense to me because there must be some way of verifying the .3ds file. I haven't updated the firmware on the cart in a very long time, yet newer games work on it. So it's not like it has a master list of usable games that it's matching a hash to or something.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
Use Decrypt9 or maybe GodMode9 to encrypt the CCI/3DS file. Then put it on the Sky 3DS. It'll only work when using CFW like Luma.

If your ROM is 0-key encrypted (meaning it's usable on Gateway), you'll have to decrypt it before encrypting it. Better yet, just rebuild it without encrypting it, perhaps using the .Net 3DS Toolkit, then encrypt it with Decrypt9 or GodMode9.

Works with a Sky 3DS+

Last edited by evandixon,

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Again, as I've said twice in the thread, this won't work in this situation.
Well yes it would. You'll just have to put the patch on each consoles. Not as straight forward as just moving the cart I agree but it should work.
But evandixon solution is a lot easier that for sure.

OkazakiTheOtaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well yes it would. You'll just have to put the patch on each consoles. Not as straight forward as just moving the cart I agree but it should work.
But evandixon solution is a lot easier that for sure.
Some of the games I want to put on the cart never got a physical release.
I understand you are trying to help, and I appreciate it, however I have tried to politely tell everyone who suggests this to stop doing so, and I always get several people who ignore that anyway. I appreciate that you want to help but I don't like getting the same information every time.

Better yet, just rebuild it without encrypting it, perhaps using the .Net 3DS Toolkit.
Trying this now. I need to boot up windows so it will be a little bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

Redferne

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some of the games I want to put on the cart never got a physical release.
I understand you are trying to help, and I appreciate it, however I have tried to politely tell everyone who suggests this to stop doing so, and I always get several people who ignore that anyway. I appreciate that you want to help but I don't like getting the same information every time.
You said it won't work but it will, just pointing this out.
I'm very interested in to know if you managed to encrypt a .3ds of a game not release in cart and make it work in the SKY3DS+ though.

OkazakiTheOtaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You said it won't work but it will, just pointing this out.
It won't work if it never got a physical release, therefore your suggestion indeed won't work. I don't want to argue this anymore.

Use Decrypt9 or maybe GodMode9 to encrypt the CCI/3DS file. Then put it on the Sky 3DS. It'll only work when using CFW like Luma.
If your ROM is 0-key encrypted (meaning it's usable on Gateway), you'll have to decrypt it before encrypting it. Better yet, just rebuild it without encrypting it, perhaps using the .Net 3DS Toolkit, then encrypt it with Decrypt9 or GodMode9.

I just tried this and it didn't work. I had a .3ds that I tried to decrypt like you said, and GM9 said it wasn't encrypted. So then I encrypted it, and it was marked as a .bad by the cart again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended