Homebrew DIOS MIOS, USB Loader GX, black screen? (help for a noob)

Ambidextroid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so I am a total noob at this.
At first I only wanted to HB my Wii for Mario Kart Wii online, and I've done that using the Letterbomb method and dragging a few files onto an SD card etc., easy peasy.

But now I want to be able to load Gamecube games off of a USB stick without the original disk.

This is currently what I have:

- 2GB SD card, formatted as FAT32, with a bunch of folders on called 'apps' (which contains 'dios-mios-booter', 'dios-mios-booter-F', 'IOS236' which I used to install DIOS MIOS, 'usbloader_gx', 'WADManager' and 'wiimmfipatcher' which was used for MKWii online), 'bootmii', 'bslug', 'dm_booter', 'private', 'wad', a file called 'boot.elf' and a file called 'installer.log'.

- 15GB USB stick, formatted as FAT32 (nothing about cluster size, apparently that's important?) with a folder called 'games' on, with a folder called 'GALP01' on, with 'game.iso' on (Smash Bros. Melee).

When I open DIOS MIOS and choose Smash Bros., a message pops up saying 'fatal error apploader size is zero'.
When I open USB Loader GX and choose Smash Bros, the DIOS MIOS logo shows up and then cuts to black, and nothing happens.

Please someone help! I don't really know much about this whole thing at all.

Thanks!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I will assume that you correctly installed DIOS MIOS (and not Lite version, which is for games on SD card).

The error you see at the DM boot logo means that the game ISO can't be found.
it could be different issues :
- wrong partition. (be sure your 15GB stick has only one partition, not a hidden one first)
- wrong DM (DM with game on SD, DML with game on usb)
- bad iso (it happens)

what's strange is that you didn't mention an error when using USBGX, only the logo (no message there?) and then black screen.
Which version of USBLoaderGX are you using? you can see it in the credit page, or on the boot sequence.
I added HDD and partition checks after 3.0, so if you are still using 3.0 (revision 1180) you should update the loader.
Latest version can be found in my signature (though, 1259 has a network bug when downloading custom animated banners, I'll fix it in 1260)

if you already have r1256 or r1259, and USBLoaderGX doesn't warn you about your drive then it means the partition and hdd format are correct.
the black screen after the boot logo means it's a video mode issue.
Go to the game settings and set the default mode to Auto or to Disc default, to match the region of the game and not of your console.

DIOS MIOS is good but now it's old and has devices compatibility issue. not all USB are working.
it's nice to try and test all homebrew, and I'm all for helping users with it if they really want to use it, but there are other loaders you can use for gamecube backups, like nintendont.

Nintendont doesn't need an installation in the console, and will not interfer with your currently installed MIOS.
just go to Settings>features>update nintendont. it will download latest nintendont version to SD:/apps/nintendont/ folder (this option will be removed in r1260)
then tell the loader you want to use nintendont instead of MIOS :

Globaly (for all games) go to settings>loader settings>Game cube mode : nintendont
or
individually (for one game) Select Smash bros > option > game option > gamecube mode : nintendont

Retro_Mod_Gamer

Niche List Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I will assume that you correctly installed DIOS MIOS (and not Lite version, which is for games on SD card).

The error you see at the DM boot logo means that the game ISO can't be found.
it could be different issues :
- wrong partition. (be sure your 15GB stick has only one partition, not a hidden one first)
- wrong DM (DM with game on SD, DML with game on usb)
- bad iso (it happens)

what's strange is that you didn't mention an error when using USBGX, only the logo (no message there?) and then black screen.
Which version of USBLoaderGX are you using? you can see it in the credit page, or on the boot sequence.
I added HDD and partition checks after 3.0, so if you are still using 3.0 (revision 1180) you should update the loader.
Latest version can be found in my signature (though, 1259 has a network bug when downloading custom animated banners, I'll fix it in 1260)

if you already have r1256 or r1259, and USBLoaderGX doesn't warn you about your drive then it means the partition and hdd format are correct.
the black screen after the boot logo means it's a video mode issue.
Go to the game settings and set the default mode to Auto or to Disc default, to match the region of the game and not of your console.

DIOS MIOS is good but now it's old and has devices compatibility issue. not all USB are working.
it's nice to try and test all homebrew, and I'm all for helping users with it if they really want to use it, but there are other loaders you can use for gamecube backups, like nintendont.

Nintendont doesn't need an installation in the console, and will not interfer with your currently installed MIOS.
just go to Settings>features>update nintendont. it will download latest nintendont version to SD:/apps/nintendont/ folder (this option will be removed in r1260)
then tell the loader you want to use nintendont instead of MIOS :

Globaly (for all games) go to settings>loader settings>Game cube mode : nintendont
or
individually (for one game) Select Smash bros > option > game option > gamecube mode : nintendont

Hello Cyan, thank you for all of your hard work and activity in the forums! I love USB Loader GX and it works great on my Wii U with Nintendont. I have modded a Wii for my office and can't get Nintendont to consistently load from usb loader gx. I will update my cios (any cios) and nintendont will appear under loader settings, but after the first time I launch a game, which works great, from usb loader, and then return to usb loader, Nintendont has disappeared from the loader settings until I update a cios and get another one-time usage out of nintendont via usb loader gx. I haven't seen this covered in any previous threads, any suggestions? It's driving me crazy and the same thing has happened on two other Wiis I've helped friends with, but not one other one for some reason.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You have an old channel installed on the console, and a recent version on your SD card.
When you launch from HBC, it's the good version with nintendont settings, when you exit a game it reloads the channel and as it's an old version without the nintendont compatibility you lose them all for your next launch from HBC, etc.

the fix for this is :
1. delete the channel (download the full channel wad UNLR, use a wad manager to uninstall the channel with that wad)
2. install the forwarder channel (which will load the main.dol version on SD card instead of loading the internal version inside an old channel)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/files/Releases/Forwarders/

don't install the Wii forwarder on vWii
and don't install the vWii forwarder on Wii

Reactions: Retro_Mod_Gamer

Retro_Mod_Gamer

Niche List Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You have an old channel installed on the console, and a recent version on your SD card.
When you launch from HBC, it's the good version with nintendont settings, when you exit a game it reloads the channel and as it's an old version without the nintendont compatibility you lose them all for your next launch from HBC, etc.

the fix for this is :
1. delete the channel (download the full channel wad UNLR, use a wad manager to uninstall the channel with that wad)
2. install the forwarder channel (which will load the main.dol version on SD card instead of loading the internal version inside an old channel)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/usbloadergx/files/Releases/Forwarders/

don't install the Wii forwarder on vWii
and don't install the vWii forwarder on Wii

Voila! That worked perfectly, thank you so much, I apologize if I missed something in my searching through the forums. Once again Sir, I thank you. :yaywii:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1