Hacking DIOS MIOS - Multidisk issue with Tales of Symphonia?

Bellfox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area or forum, since I'm rather new to this site.

From what I can tell so far, the gbatemp forum seems rather experienced with all sorts of things pertaining to Wii Hacking/Modding, which I've recently gotten into. I should probably explain everything before I get into my issue.

For some time now, I've been wanting to play Gamecube Games on my Wii (which is capable of playing them,) but unfortunately, the disks I have in my possession are too damaged to work correctly. My brother and I have recently dug around in ways to get any sort of backup loader to work, and DIOS MIOS was the one we came across. We finally got it to work with Super Smash Brothers. Melee, and were entirely impressed; However, after a while, we both decided to play Tales of Symphonia; a two-disk set that requires a disk swap.

We played the game up until before the point of the disk swap; I am aware that DIOS MIOS can automatically swap disks when it is detected, but the problem lies in my hardware.

From what I am aware of, the internal SD Card reader that the Wii has equipped can only read SD cards of up to 2 GB, which I can assume is normal; However, since the SD card I use IS only 2 GB, and the .iso's of both disks exceed that amount, I was wondering if there was any work-around to this. We are in possession of Disk 1 and Disk 2, however, only Disk 1 is compatible, and Disk 2 is completely non-functional. There is no save point to get across the disk swap screen, so we are being forced to swap disks, whether we want to or not.

So, my ultimate issue is, is there any way we could trim down the size of our .iso's and still have both disk 1 and disk 2 on a single 2 GB SD card, or am I going to have to buy a new disk? Tales of Symphonia, Disk 2, is on eBay right now, and we are prepared to buy it if it comes down to it. I only wanted to know if there was any way we could get the games to work without spending money if it is possible. We've come through so much to be stopped by something as simple as collected data size; It's disappointing to have to be forced to put it all on hold due to something as small as that.

If anyone could provide some insight to the issue at hand, we would both be greatly appreciative of it; if not, we can just buy the disk separately without any issues, (unless of course, it's damaged as well.)

Many thanks to those of you who read this who may have some insight.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why you use outdated technology :blink:

Use Nintendont instead, Better compatibility and more stable

Tales of Symphonia Disc 1 1.24 GB when trimmed
Tales of Symphonia Disc 2 1.29 GB when trimmed

You don't have a spare hard drive/flashdrive?

Bellfox

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, no, I don't have a hardrive.. I'm a cheap person. >w< I used outdated technology because, well, I wasn't entirely sure what was better. (Whatever works)

And, oddly enough, I have tried my flash drive, but for some reason, it didn't work with DIOS MIOS correctly, which I can only assume that's because it's DIOS MIOS lite, not normal DIOS MIOS, even though it does have a USB option. All it did was restart my Wii and it does that constantly. I know there's certain steps pertaining to setting it up to work correctly with a Wii, but it's not a huge deal; I would prefer to use an SD Card more, mainly because I know what I'm doing with it.. most of the time. I just wanted to play some games without having issues; Of course, nothing is free, and neither is time, so I'd have issues. The more disappointing part is that it didn't work.

I tried Nintendon't, but it didn't seem to work the last time I tried, which was disappointing in its' own way, but DIOS MIOS is the only one I actually got to work correctly. I'm horrible at understanding these things, so I just kind of poke around.

My deepest apologies for the late reply, I didn't think a response would come so quickly.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly, no, I don't have a hardrive.. I'm a cheap person. >w< I used outdated technology because, well, I wasn't entirely sure what was better. (Whatever works)

And, oddly enough, I have tried my flash drive, but for some reason, it didn't work with DIOS MIOS correctly, which I can only assume that's because it's DIOS MIOS lite, not normal DIOS MIOS, even though it does have a USB option. All it did was restart my Wii and it does that constantly. I know there's certain steps pertaining to setting it up to work correctly with a Wii, but it's not a huge deal; I would prefer to use an SD Card more, mainly because I know what I'm doing with it.. most of the time. I just wanted to play some games without having issues; Of course, nothing is free, and neither is time, so I'd have issues. The more disappointing part is that it didn't work.

I tried Nintendon't, but it didn't seem to work the last time I tried, which was disappointing in its' own way, but DIOS MIOS is the only one I actually got to work correctly. I'm horrible at understanding these things, so I just kind of poke around.

My deepest apologies for the late reply, I didn't think a response would come so quickly.
Nintendont has much better game compatibility and supports usb drives that DIOS MIOS does not support

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using a 8GB SD Card on my Wii and it works fine.
I don't know where you read that only 2GB is working. Probably on a verrry old guide (when SDHC wasn't supported by homebrew?)

and even if the front slot were limited to 2GB, you could always "fake" an USB drive by connecting a bigger SD Card in an USB-to-SD reader connected to your USB port.

But that's not an issue.
just place both ISO in the same folder, filename :
game.iso
and
disc2.iso

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be three things that pop up a lot for people failing to run Nintendont. Make sure you're running the latest IOS58 unmodified (you can easily check it in the Homebrew Channel), your Homebrew Channel is unmodified (only the original theme), and you also copied the Nintendont meta.xml into the Nintendont folder.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night