Hardware Digital Saves With Broken 3DS?

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Good evening all!

I was curious if it's possible for Digital Games to be backed up to a new 3DS along with the save files being able to work with it if a current 3DS breaks down or gets stolen?

I am debating between hard copies and digital, as of now both seems to have issues in terms of saves where a lot of time has been put into. For example MH4U. I know that the NA N3DS MH4U bundle comes with it pre-installed. Let's say I play it for ages, then it gets stolen or I drop it and stops working. I've read numerous posts that all you have to do is call up Nintendo and give them your serial number? So they can transfer everything to the newly acquired 3DS, am I correct? (Lame that digital copies are not tied to an online account, and instead the system <_<).

If that's true and you have all your digital copies in the brand new 3ds. Will the save files be compatible with it? Or not because each save file is "specially" encrypted to one game...

Hope someone can clear this up for me as there aren't any topics of sort online. Only topics that pop up are the solutions to transfer previously owned digital copies, nothing about save files working with the new device.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital you can back up all your saves with SaveDataFiler if you have a Gateway (and once Gateway releases their stuff for N3DS). Without Gateway though, you're basically out of luck with saves unless Nintendo somehow copies your saves to another 3DS (they might do it with repairs? idk). Carts would be the best option though in the event of save loss.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Digital you can back up all your saves with SaveDataFiler if you have a Gateway (and once Gateway releases their stuff for N3DS). Without Gateway though, you're basically out of luck with saves unless Nintendo somehow copies your saves to another 3DS (they might do it with repairs? idk). Carts would be the best option though in the event of save loss.

I guess what I'm asking is.

Since you can backup your save files that are in the SD card to your PC. Will I be able to use these save files on another 3DS that has the same game OR if somehow my eshop is recovered on another 3DS by contacting Nintendo (not sure how such process would even work).

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess what I'm asking is.

Since you can backup your save files that are in the SD card to your PC. Will I be able to use these save files on another 3DS that has the same game OR if somehow my eshop is recovered on another 3DS by contacting Nintendo (not sure how such process would even work).

Nope, all are encrypted. System transfer is the only way to move those saves unless you are able to use SaveDataFiler on the original 3DS with the save fles on it.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nope, all are encrypted. System transfer is the only way to move those saves unless you are able to use SaveDataFiler on the original 3DS with the save fles on it.

I see, then how does the save transfer tool from the eshop work? Where you can transfer your save file from the cartridge to a digital save? I'm assuming it some how encrypts the file so it works with the purchased digital?

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, then how does the save transfer tool from the eshop work? Where you can transfer your save file from the cartridge to a digital save? I'm assuming it some how encrypts the file so it works with the purchased digital?

I haven't tried the save transfer tool actually, but I'd imagine that it just checks for a cart and an installed game and transfers between them. This would probably work in Classic Mode, although I'm not entirely sure. Save support is really iffy with Gateway at the moment, so it's best to just pick a platform and stay there.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't tried the save transfer tool actually, but I'd imagine that it just checks for a cart and an installed game and transfers between them. This would probably work in Classic Mode, although I'm not entirely sure. Save support is really iffy with Gateway at the moment, so it's best to just pick a platform and stay there.

Alright, thanks for the help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself