Hacking Digimon World Re:Digitize - Translation

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
they wouldn't upload the game patched?
i don't know how to patch games, it will be a lot more easy if they upload the game already patched.

This is the kind off stuff that greatly annoys the translators usually.
They give you only a patch here eventually, they expect you to patch it on an iso from a game you bought legally and dumped to iso format yourself.
If you choose to get the iso through shady and less politically-correct means (it is a bannable offense to talk about piracy very openly here), then you should keep quiet about it.
I'll refrain from talking about how piracy is wrong and stuff like that.

Kaldric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the kind off stuff that greatly annoys the translators usually.
They give you only a patch here eventually, they expect you to patch it on an iso from a game you bought legally and dumped to iso format yourself.
If you choose to get the iso through shady and less politically-correct means (it is a bannable offense to talk about piracy very openly here), then you should keep quiet about it.
I'll refrain from talking about how piracy is wrong and stuff like that.

Oh trust me I know and understand what you mean. if people get it legally or...the other means of gaining the iso, the translators and other people working on the project worked hard to get it out to the public, us. But people are too lazy to go an extra step to patch it themselves, and lack of know how is NO EXCUSE! research it by all means dont look to have everything done for you, they made the patch for you and themselves, now you want them to patch it for you, whats next? want them to play the game for you too? Sheez they are already working their butts off you can be a little less lazy. and as mentioned before. they may make a patcher for it, or give instructions on how to patch it. We just dont know yet and must wait and see. but if we have to manually patch it, then so be it.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Oh trust me I know and understand what you mean. if people get it legally or...the other means of gaining the iso, the translators and other people working on the project worked hard to get it out to the public, us. But people are too lazy to go an extra step to patch it themselves, and lack of know how is NO EXCUSE! research it by all means dont look to have everything done for you, they made the patch for you and themselves, now you want them to patch it for you, whats next? want them to play the game for you too? Sheez they are already working their butts off you can be a little less lazy. and as mentioned before. they may make a patcher for it, or give instructions on how to patch it. We just dont know yet and must wait and see. but if we have to manually patch it, then so be it.

We can't share pre-patched ISOs because of legal issues.
There are probably people who will upload the pre-patched game though, so if people are that lazy they can always try downloading it...

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
great work! wish i even came close to knowing how to edit the isos to be able to translate.

It's not some sort of black magic :)
The idea boils down to being able to locate the texts and the fonts and modify them.
You'll need a hex editor and a tile editor (I recommend Windhex, Crystaltile2 and also Tile Molester)
As for the PSP, try UMDGen and UMDReplace to more easily view the contents of the isos.
Sometimes files are compressed, some of these compressions are known (cpk, for example) but it's really more a case by case thing.

Some games are localization ready, so if you replace the Shif-JIS text by English text it will show up properly (This applies for Tengai Makyou IV, God Eater 2, Nayuta no Kiseki, Time Travelers among others). However often the developers won't even take in account the other markets and do the appropriate marketing and so they'll just make it so that it shows Japanese letters. So either the English is missing from the font, or if it works at all, the text will appear like this, using the fixed font dimensions for the Japanese letters.
This complication needs altering the assembly for it to happen. ie requiring a good understanding of the processor and its language (here, mips r3000 since we're talking about PSP/PS1/Saturn, it would be ARM for GBA/DS/3DS, or PowerPC for GC/Wii/Mac, etc...) and using a debugging emulator to try and find the relevant programming bits to change to make the game behave, and show the letters correctly. Lots of stuff by Namco Bandai suffers from this for example.

I really encourage you to get started, it's very fascinating.

You could do anything in theory. I got started with this (never got around finishing it since I'm not a fan of Google Translator, and I didn't find the font to redraw it in a slightly more bearable way):
tumblr_mew6zz2PBM1s0pa0yo5_1280.png

I suggest you try with Layton 2's Japanese version, which has the (very short) London Holiday bonus chapter, as a practice. The text and font are very easy to modify (the widths are stored under arm7 or something). Tinke is the go-to tool for DS games in the same way UMDGen/UMDReplace is.

Kaldric

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We can't share pre-patched ISOs because of legal issues.
There are probably people who will upload the pre-patched game though, so if people are that lazy they can always try downloading it...
Oh i understand that all too well. I mean even after you release it if the people wait a week i am sure someone will have the patched version on a torrent or somethin some where, sad as it may be.

FireValk01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not some sort of black magic :)
The idea boils down to being able to locate the texts and the fonts and modify them.
You'll need a hex editor and a tile editor (I recommend Windhex, Crystaltile2 and also Tile Molester)
As for the PSP, try UMDGen and UMDReplace to more easily view the contents of the isos.
Sometimes files are compressed, some of these compressions are known (cpk, for example) but it's really more a case by case thing.

Some games are localization ready, so if you replace the Shif-JIS text by English text it will show up properly (This applies for Tengai Makyou IV, God Eater 2, Nayuta no Kiseki, Time Travelers among others). However often the developers won't even take in account the other markets and do the appropriate marketing and so they'll just make it so that it shows Japanese letters. So either the English is missing from the font, or if it works at all, the text will appear like this, using the fixed font dimensions for the Japanese letters.
This complication needs altering the assembly for it to happen. ie requiring a good understanding of the processor and its language (here, mips r3000 since we're talking about PSP/PS1/Saturn, it would be ARM for GBA/DS/3DS, or PowerPC for GC/Wii/Mac, etc...) and using a debugging emulator to try and find the relevant programming bits to change to make the game behave, and show the letters correctly. Lots of stuff by Namco Bandai suffers from this for example.

I really encourage you to get started, it's very fascinating.

I suggest you try with Layton 2's Japanese version, which has the (very short) London Holiday bonus chapter, as a practice. The text and font are very easy to modify (the widths are stored under arm7 or something). Tinke is the go-to tool for DS games in the same way UMDGen/UMDReplace is.

great thanks for the advice/tips. this was the info ive been needing for a while. i will have to start trying this soon.ill practice on the one you suggested then ill give macross a try.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
great thanks for the advice/tips. this was the info ive been needing for a while. i will have to start trying this soon.ill practice on the one you suggested then ill give macross a try.

Try something you can afford, something where you can edit both text and fonts easily.
You could even take an already English game and try modifying the text just as a learning experience (someone is cleaning-up the translation for Dragon Quest IV DS for example).
Don't go to difficult obtusely-coded games and then get scared off. I can say one thing, Japanese PS1 games, and the SRW series on the PSP is NOT the go-to project for a newbie.

And another thing, learning about pointers definitely helps too when the text is too long to be replacing the JP text. Especially if you know how to program a custom utility yourself with C++/Java/?? that automates pointer modification for you.
romhacking.net has a useful "Documents" and "Utilities" section just for that. Also search for FAST's guide (it was a big motivation for me to get started on games)

Reactions: FireValk01

TJHeartnote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will release Likely in the middle of summer. They are not slow because they want to be, but because they have to be. Japan has very strict standards when it comes to education and getting a test right can make or break your future there. So naturally their hobbies like this are going to be lowest on their personal priorities. Cry all you like but it's not gonna change things rather it will be completely counterproductive because it would make them feel their work is all for naught. What you should be sharing is words of encouragement both for them personally and this project that generates positive stress that would give them the confidence to ace their studies and give them more time and confidence thus this project will finish sooner. So think about it. Complaints will not make it go any faster. Support will. and on a further note yes I know there are also Americans working on this but the same rules for tests and studies apply. Thank you.

Reactions: THWAMP_THING

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2