Translation Digimon Story: Lost Evolution Translation Project

• Thread starter yugix
  • Start date
  • Views 1,590,925
  • Replies 2,283
  • Likes 730

Which do you prefer for place names?!

• Stick with Japanese names for all names.

Votes: 141 27.9%
  • Use localized names (from Dawn/Dusk) for old names, and Japanese for new names.

Votes: 365 72.1%

• Total voters

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, great to see that this project picked back up, really thought it had died for a while. Is there going to be an Alpha/Beta test release when it's ready? Or will the public(like me) only get it once it's 100% tested and ready for full release? Either way, totally stoked for this, keep up the good work. :)

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Warning: Long post with lots of technical stuff and questions. I posted this in the project ... "chat" group but I'll also put some of it here to show my concerns and progress:

----------------------------------------

Okay, the good news is that at a very quick glance, the first part of the large story file looks pretty good for the most part. Also, the other small files look all right, and I already did the Training file which was 907 rows. In the large story file I have done about 2000~2500 entries in total including the ones I've been correcting but there are another 1000 or so in the middle I will need to check for sure.

Now the not-so-good news... After the first 1000 or so rows I'm seeing more and more careless errors I've been fixing along the way. (e.g. "No one can get pass!" -> "No one can get past!") and there are a bunch of entries once I hit the 2000-3600 range that look machine translated. That will take a bit to iron out so it doesn't look...like a machine did it. I'm banging away at that now.

EDIT> I did notice some machine translated ones in the other files but it looks like at least some of them were already corrected.

EDIT> Oh dear, it gets even worse in the 3600 range. Not only is the translation blatantly wrong as well as the English being wrong on its own: "If we build too much frustation inside, it'll feel kind of good isn't it?", it is copy/pasted to other rows blindly. There are sections of this that need a complete rewrite :(

e.g. "チップフォレストの となりにパッチプレーリーが あるね" -> "Next to Chip Forest is Patch Prairie" which was fixed already to the more natural sounding "The Patch Prairie is next to Chip Forest". (Though technically that last "ね" could slightly change that sentence slightly but that is an issue with speech style and honestly I don't know the characters well enough to make that call yet) I don't mean to nitpick, but please be aware this is a real obstacle we have to tackle, and there is a good chance at least some of these may slip through into testing. If we zap it then, that's fine, but yeah...this is just a warning.

I did try to match up some of the terminology to keep it all consistent but there may be cases and issues with the Digimon names. Also, there are many sections which cover the same situation but worded differently depending on what rank you are, etc., so that has the potential to cause issues and will be a problem to test with so many possibilities. Finally, there are a few cases where it refers to another character (human) but doesn't mention if the character is male or female. There are a few spots that might be an issue because of this.

In any case I am trying to hunt down the entries where the translator just gave up or something because there were a few large blocks of text that had a one line English field "Way to go!". I found a few of them but it's quite a lot of work to check 4800+ Japanese entries. There will probably be a bunch of small issues that slip through into testing but we can at least try to get rid of the worst mistakes.

There are other parts talking about Bug Plates being found on an expedition and it required a Level xx Digimon. That can be interpreted in a number of ways for the player all with similar meanings and consequences. Did you want to say you need to be Level 18, 30, 70+ etc. to use it, it took a level xx Digimon to bring it back, etc.? It doesn't matter to me but I'm not sure what the standard Digimon treatment of this is.

Edit> Lastly (for now), is it just a single "Selector" you face or are there multiple? It seems like there is a single one but some of the previous translations seem to imply there are multiple ones.

That's about it for now. I'll get back to hammering away at this chart.

About testing, it isn't up to me who gets to do it, but I am *strongly* recommending against the public having access to it just yet. The first build is likely going to be pretty rough and maybe incomprehensible in spots. The first few builds should be for the project team only IMHO.

wow, it's amazing the amount of progress that's been made since you came aboard :D

I have a terrible power...

Seriously, though, thanks to everybody. There is text now but it does need to be banged into shape in some parts. At the very least we actually have something that can be put in the game and viewed.

Pablitox

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Warning: Long post with lots of technical stuff and questions. I posted this in the project ... "chat" group but I'll also put some of it here to show my concerns and progress:

----------------------------------------

Okay, the good news is that at a very quick glance, the first part of the large story file looks pretty good for the most part. Also, the other small files look all right, and I already did the Training file which was 907 rows. In the large story file I have done about 2000~2500 entries in total including the ones I've been correcting but there are another 1000 or so in the middle I will need to check for sure.

Now the not-so-good news... After the first 1000 or so rows I'm seeing more and more careless errors I've been fixing along the way. (e.g. "No one can get pass!" -> "No one can get past!") and there are a bunch of entries once I hit the 2000-3600 range that look machine translated. That will take a bit to iron out so it doesn't look...like a machine did it. I'm banging away at that now.

EDIT> I did notice some machine translated ones in the other files but it looks like at least some of them were already corrected.

EDIT> Oh dear, it gets even worse in the 3600 range. Not only is the translation blatantly wrong as well as the English being wrong on its own: "If we build too much frustation inside, it'll feel kind of good isn't it?", it is copy/pasted to other rows blindly. There are sections of this that need a complete rewrite :(

e.g. "チップフォレストの となりにパッチプレーリーが あるね" -> "Next to Chip Forest is Patch Prairie" which was fixed already to the more natural sounding "The Patch Prairie is next to Chip Forest". (Though technically that last "ね" could slightly change that sentence slightly but that is an issue with speech style and honestly I don't know the characters well enough to make that call yet) I don't mean to nitpick, but please be aware this is a real obstacle we have to tackle, and there is a good chance at least some of these may slip through into testing. If we zap it then, that's fine, but yeah...this is just a warning.

I did try to match up some of the terminology to keep it all consistent but there may be cases and issues with the Digimon names. Also, there are many sections which cover the same situation but worded differently depending on what rank you are, etc., so that has the potential to cause issues and will be a problem to test with so many possibilities. Finally, there are a few cases where it refers to another character (human) but doesn't mention if the character is male or female. There are a few spots that might be an issue because of this.

In any case I am trying to hunt down the entries where the translator just gave up or something because there were a few large blocks of text that had a one line English field "Way to go!". I found a few of them but it's quite a lot of work to check 4800+ Japanese entries. There will probably be a bunch of small issues that slip through into testing but we can at least try to get rid of the worst mistakes.

There are other parts talking about Bug Plates being found on an expedition and it required a Level xx Digimon. That can be interpreted in a number of ways for the player all with similar meanings and consequences. Did you want to say you need to be Level 18, 30, 70+ etc. to use it, it took a level xx Digimon to bring it back, etc.? It doesn't matter to me but I'm not sure what the standard Digimon treatment of this is.

Edit> Lastly (for now), is it just a single "Selector" you face or are there multiple? It seems like there is a single one but some of the previous translations seem to imply there are multiple ones.

That's about it for now. I'll get back to hammering away at this chart.

About testing, it isn't up to me who gets to do it, but I am *strongly* recommending against the public having access to it just yet. The first build is likely going to be pretty rough and maybe incomprehensible in spots. The first few builds should be for the project team only IMHO.

I have a terrible power...

Seriously, though, thanks to everybody. There is text now but it does need to be banged into shape in some parts. At the very least we actually have something that can be put in the game and viewed.

I'm amazed by it though, you and the team did a very good job, congratulations!

Aaron Chmielowiec

Wielder of the 4 sacred cheeses
Trophies
Website
aaronin.jp
XP
Country
Selector is actually the name of the enemy organization.

Ah, okay. That explains a few things. It wasn't clear from the text I was looking at just what it was. I wasn't able to determine if it was a group like "The Foot Clan" in Ninja Turtles (as an example) or a single person or what. It shouldn't be too much work to change the affected cases.

What is more concerning are the huge blocks of very questionable translations including some copy/pasting of blocks of text all over the place (in some areas) and even incorrect English (the idea is right in some cases but the resulting English is grammatically wrong or there is some really odd wording or spelling mistakes, etc.)

It will take a little bit to go through this all, but it's starting to all come together. I still have no idea how this will all look in the game, though.

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only way to
Ah, okay. That explains a few things. It wasn't clear from the text I was looking at just what it was. I wasn't able to determine if it was a group like "The Foot Clan" in Ninja Turtles (as an example) or a single person or what. It shouldn't be too much work to change the affected cases.

What is more concerning are the huge blocks of very questionable translations including some copy/pasting of blocks of text all over the place (in some areas) and even incorrect English (the idea is right in some cases but the resulting English is grammatically wrong or there is some really odd wording or spelling mistakes, etc.)

It will take a little bit to go through this all, but it's starting to all come together. I still have no idea how this will all look in the game, though.
find is to play!

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody watched digimon xros war anime?

Xros wars was ok, The death generals arc where they
cut zenjirou and akari from the plot for being useless and made Kiriha and Nene mains
was by far the best part and the was enjoyable
The 3rd part, hunters, isn't as good tbh.

I refuse to watch it in english, they already butchered the names, I cba to see what they did to the show

Reactions: TheLoneWolfGamer

TheLoneWolfGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xros wars was ok, The death generals arc where they
cut zenjirou and akari from the plot for being useless and made Kiriha and Nene mains
was by far the best part and the was enjoyable
The 3rd part, hunters, isn't as good tbh.

I refuse to watch it in english, they already butchered the names, I cba to see what they did to the show
Thanks! I watched it till nene's goddamn brother controlled a digimon in an arena where apollomon abandons em... and they did a tri cross load after omnishoutmon did something. And the dragon digi's feather falls and evaporates... I want to know what happened next. I my opinion, its cast is pathetic! I don't want to start the old 'if I was there' argument but seriously, THEY ARE PATHETIC. What if they make a series like 'digimon fusion meets xros wars'?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.