OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
People like posts for different reasons. For example,

• "Yes, that's correct advice and I would have said the same thing if you hadn't got in first"
  • "What a good idea, I didn't think of that" or "Very informative, I learned something"
  • "Glad you got it working"
  • "I agree with your opinion"
  • "Haha that's hilarious"
I was thinking there could be two categories of likes. One for the first two dot points (good advice/informative), and a general category for the rest (funny post or a post with a personal opinion that the liker agrees with).

Then, you could filter long threads by these likes, to cut out all the random banter and discussion. If people are reading a thread to get info to help with their problem, they can filter to show only replies that have more than the average number of "helpful" likes (I don't know what you'd call it).

And like the featured post idea, you could have a link to the top replies by number of "helpful" likes. This way it is a democratic process to show the most helpful posts and it is more likely to be correct. Rather than the OP being the sole decider and choosing something unrelated or unhelpful, or choosing their own posts to boost their "featured" post count. It won't matter if a few people don't know how to choose the right sort of like because most people will and that will outweigh the wrong people.

Having the separated "helpful" likes from "general" likes is important, because of someone says something completely hilarious, or a very well thought out, well written personal opinion, they deserve likes but it shouldn't be linked at the top of a post.

Reactions: CuriousTommy

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about "Cause i like what you said." Which is what i thought likes were for anyway. At least that was before featured post was a thing where that specifically was to highlight important information in a sea of 1000+ post for lazy people to search through to find. :P

Except that is gone now so i guess... i dunno.

D

Deleted User

Well, I see this going the same way of Helpful Posts. It will be there, but NOBODY will use it. How many people do you see using that feature? People will just use this to like whore more, or just use general likes all the time.

Dropped

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well, I see this going the same way of Helpful Posts. It will be there, but NOBODY will use it. How many people do you see using that feature? People will just use this to like whore more, or just use general likes all the time.

Dropped
There's no harm in people using general likes - then it's the same as it is now. You only need a percentage of people to get it right for it to be trustable and useful - not 100% like is required by the featured posts feature. if some people don't use it or use it incorrectly it will not matter.
What about "Cause i like what you said." Which is what i thought likes were for anyway.
Liking what someone said would come under agreeing with someone's opinion so a general like.
At least that was before featured post was a thing where that specifically was to highlight important information in a sea of 1000+ post for lazy people to search through to find. :P

Except that is gone now so i guess... i dunno.
The problem with featured posts is that one sole person is deciding which ones to crown as featured. Every time they get it wrong it makes it less and less useful - users can't trust that what is featured is actually the most useful post in a thread. When the trust goes it becomes useless. Users also featured their own replies, or even asked questions just so they could feature their own replies. Making it even less useful. Whereas, if it's done by everyone, the cream will always rise to the top even with some people having opinions against the norm since everyone else will outnumber them, and users won't be able to make posts and feature themselves. I believe this is why it was taken away again.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with featured posts is that one sole person is deciding which ones to crown as featured. Every time they get it wrong it makes it less and less useful - users can't trust that what is featured is actually the most useful post in a thread. When the trust goes it becomes useless. Users also featured their own replies, or even asked questions just so they could feature their own replies. Making it even less useful. Whereas, if it's done by everyone, the cream will always rise to the top even with some people having opinions against the norm since everyone else will outnumber them, and users won't be able to make posts and feature themselves. I believe this is why it was taken away again.
Would it make sense if most likes could be considered is featured post, so is more of a vote by community instead of single person being controlled?

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
OP
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Would it make sense if most likes could be considered is featured post, so is more of a vote by community instead of single person being controlled?
Yeah that's right. People will say a post is helpful, without the view to making it rise to the top, just to give their opinion. Probably not every thread will end up with a helpful post linked at the top, there would probably be some criteria (e.g. has to be at least a certain number of pages, and there should be a big difference between the number of helpful votes on one or two posts compared to the average across all of the replies in that thread). The site owners/admins can probably work out a correct metric to make it as useful as possible. And yeah more like a community vote, so most likely to be a true helpful post, and useful to readers.

But anyway, this is only an idea :-p

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah that's right. People will say a post is helpful, without the view to making it rise to the top, just to give their opinion. Probably not every thread will end up with a helpful post linked at the top, there would probably be some criteria (e.g. has to be at least a certain number of pages, and there should be a big difference between the number of helpful votes on one or two posts compared to the average across all of the replies in that thread). The site owners/admins can probably work out a correct metric to make it as useful as possible. And yeah more like a community vote, so most likely to be a true helpful post, and useful to readers.

But anyway, this is only an idea :-p
Well i did say most likes, like is partially a community tribute. If a post is getting lots of likes, it may be cause of a value statement was made and that would be considered the most useful one of them all. Instead of how you described it as only the OP can decide what post is featured which you explained is abused to some degree.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Doesn't matter what you do, this community here will exploit and ruin it.
You will get spammers and kiddies abusing that particular system much like margen started like spamming everything.
Unless mods and or trusted members are highlighting posts as useful, everything else is pretty much a no go.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1