Gaming Did third party developers make good money on the Wii ?

Did third party developers make good money on the Wii ?

• Total voters

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ehh... we could discuss this for the next century, but facts of the matter are that to objectively state whether the whole "third-party doesn't sell on the Wii" point of view holds water or not, we'd have to browse through every single NPD, Media Create and god knows what other statistical data for each year the system was on the market, compile that mass of incomprehensible goo into a chart and then calculate if it was worth it or not. What we have are symptoms - little high-profile games and large gaps between first and third party software sales, so we can make a safe assumption that third-party titles didn't do too well, but it's not an objective fact. Establishing that is a humongous amount of work that none of us are willing to go through - probably weeks if not months of research.
There were more games on the Wii than on any other system of the generation. With so many options, it's surprising that even half of Wii owners bought that game.
Again, the Wii suffered from the shovelware problem wheras high-profile releases were few and far between. There's a difference between exploiting an admittedly large target audience with games studios made on the side with zero effort put into them and actual support. There's a zillion of Wii games out there, sure, but that doesn't mean that they sold very well on a per-title basis - maybe they released so many crappy ones to rake in profits from cumulative sales,
"quantity over quality" style.

Reactions: Dark S.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
platform.wii.top.31.sales.jpg

It seems third party titles didn't do so well.

What is the best selling Wii exclusive that has no Nintendo IP ?
Zumba Fitness ? (not exclusive).

zumba.fitness.no.Wii.U.version.jpg
Carnival games ?

I am quite surprised how poorly third parties did with the Nintendo Wii. No wonder they are passing on the Wii U.

Reactions: slingblade1170

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? Just look at that the stats I posted. Since Wii Sports was bundled with every console, every Wii owner must own a copy. Using that link that should be around 81.99 million. Now look at the next game on that list. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 35.26 million. That's a pretty big gap don't you think? About 46.73 million Wii owners didn't buy the most statistically purchased game. Look at Call of Duty: World at War, only sold a little over 1 million. You can already see that gap.

Again that's not entirely accurate and if you want to get better statistics you can. I'm only securing that fact that a majority of Wii owners only got a Wii for the motion control fad (and don't take that the wrong way, I never insulted the Wiimote and I like it too.)

The thing is, even for a big budget game, if a port breaks the 1 million mark, it is likely making a fair bit of money for the developers and is a very successful game.

In fact, that even seems to be the industry standard for big budget exclusives. If you can sell a 1 million copies of a big budget game, even if it is only on the Wii or the PS4 or whatever, you are almost certainly making money.

Obviously, there might be a handful of games that might have astronomical development budgets and not turn a profit at 1 million copies and there are low budget games from major studios that can probably profit at only a few hundred thousand sales, but 1 million sales seems kind of to be the minimum target for most big budget games (obviously adjust upwards for multiple ports since those take up development time).

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 7306

It seems third party titles didn't do so well.

What is the best selling Wii exclusive that has no Nintendo IP ?
Zumba Fitness ? (not exclusive).

Carnival games ?

I am quite surprised how poorly third parties did with the Nintendo Wii. No wonder they are passing on the Wii U.

All that shows is games that sold under 3 million copies. A big budget game on the Wii that sold 3 million copies is pretty successful. A low budget game that sold even a few hundred thousand copies is successful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.