Gaming Did Something Stupid With My DS Lite - Am I Screwed?

Cornholio309

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, a while ago, I was running into an issue with the DS Lite I recently purchased where the L button would occasionally constantly act as if it was pressed down, making games impossible to play. It eventually fixed itself, but I read from an anonymous GameFAQs user that he had a similar issue and was able to fix it by putting his shoulder button under a running faucet and leaving it to dry for 24 hours.

Thinking I was smart, I tried doing the same thing with rubbing alcohol to see if I could "loosen up" the DS Lite, but now I think I might have damaged the touch screen.

Big mistake.

Around 30 or so minutes after doing this, I turned it back on, and now I'm seeing splotches on the touch screen everywhere. They look rather similar to this:

http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/16026

...So, will this eventually fix itself if I continue to let it dry, or did I just destroy a pretty decent DS Lite? I can provide snapshots of the touch screen, but I'm a bit worried about turning it on again.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm afraid that the damage done is permanent, but luckily replacement screens are cheap.
For example, I found one for $5 here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bottom-Lowe...S-Lite-NDSL-/281333751571?hash=item4180cc5f13

It is possible that the splotches are just liquid that got trapped between the touch screen digitizer and the LCD itself, in that case you could try to open it up and remove the digitizer to clean underneath it. You can't make things much worse at this point, since the alternative is replacing the screen, so it's worth a shot before buying a replacement screen.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Cornholio309

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only issue is that I lack a screwdriver to fix the mess I've made, and I can't find a good makeshift way to open it up.

I also have no experience with opening up a console and replacing anything. How easy would a touch screen replacement be coming in from a complete novice who knows nothing about it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte