Hacking Did I Buy the Correct Card? (Gateway) (3DS 7.1.0)

Cloudx77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I have been avoiding the 3ds flashcart scene for a while as there didn't seem to be any card truly worth it:(. But recently I checked back and apparently Gateway's new card with the Ultra 3.2 firmware looks like it solved all the problems, so i decided to buy it. I have a red 3ds that has been sitting there for years, and is on firmware 7.1.0. My card just arrived today but i am very confused to what directions i should follow. There is different answers going around.

For example I have Zelda, but do i need it? it says with the new firmware I don't but I'm not really sure how to go about setting anything up. I have read the guides but hearing different things worries me. Any help? I greatly appreciate it and thank you very much in advance!

Ps. I came of out lurking for 6 years just to post this so you know I truly need help hah

Killaclown

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The new ultra firmware is mostly for N3DS, but you still get the benefit of latest Emunand on old 3ds, so it's the best flashcart IMO. You should be able to get every feature.

Edit: There are some new firmwares that are almost as good as gateway, but if you already have one, yes it's the right one I guess.

Cloudx77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah I see, thanks. So I can just set it up directly without using Zelda. can you provide a link for directions on how to get it set up. the card arrived just now and is just sitting there as im not sure which directions to follow.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Download Gateway 3.2.2

Put Launcher.dat on the root of the big SD card

Connect to the internet, open your browser, clear history and cookies (can be accessed with the spanner icon from the browser), then visit go.gateway-3ds.com.

Now you can follow any other guide out there (backup your sysNAND and copy the nand.bin file off the big SD card onto your computer to keep it safe. Format emuNAND and update it by going to system settings, [check it says GW3D 7.1 for the firmware] then, without leaving system settings at all, go to the option in system settings that is update system. You should now have emuNAND at 9.8 and a sysNAND still at 7.1.)

Cloudx77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sweet, Thanks Those were the tips I needed. Maybe I was just reading too much into it earlier but thanks again. I manged to boot into gateway mode, update the card and backup my NAND. Also A few questions before I format emunand. Do need to do this everytime I shut the 3DS off? what is the purpose of formatting the emunand i it is going to have to be redone everytime? Can i downgrade from this menu to 4.5? Is the exploit permanent in 4.5 (aka thats the benefit of downgrading?).

Sorry for the barrage of questions..

chizco06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello :) , first you only have to format emunand once and it will do the trick, and yes you can use Gateway launcher to downgrade to 4.5 and use the MSET exploit, which is easier to use and you won´t need an internet connection to launch the gateway launcher

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Sweet, Thanks Those were the tips I needed. Maybe I was just reading too much into it earlier but thanks again. I manged to boot into gateway mode, update the card and backup my NAND. Also A few questions before I format emunand. Do need to do this everytime I shut the 3DS off? what is the purpose of formatting the emunand i it is going to have to be redone everytime? Can i downgrade from this menu to 4.5? Is the exploit permanent in 4.5 (aka thats the benefit of downgrading?).

Sorry for the barrage of questions..
Formatting emuNAND and updating it only needs to be done once. Thereafter you can launch gateway by going to the Url I gave with the red card inserted and it will go into emuNAND automatically.

When a new firmware is released, Gateway will probably release a new launcher file a few days later, and if you want to you can download it and replace your current launcher file and update emuNAND. But you don't need to unless you want to use the eShop.

You can downgrade if you want to, but you have to be careful as if you mess anything up you will brick your console. Also if you started any games, their save file will probably not work anymore and you'll have to begin those games again. The only advantage is not having to connect to the Internet to launch the exploit. And yes if you turn off your 3DS you'll have to launch the exploit again (although there are reports of being able to "stick" the exploit if you downgrade, some people can get it to work, others not). But if you are careful this will not happen. Make sure you take an external battery and USB charger cord with you if leaving the house for more than a few hours. Personally I have been in emuNAND about two months without having to relaunch the exploit :-)

Something you may want to do after formatting emuNAND and upgrading it is unlinking emuNAND and sysNAND. To do this, turn off your console, take out the big SD card, turn on, go to system settings, choose Format System, let it do what it does, turn on again, and insert SD card. It will create a new Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD card. Now, if you want to, you can put a coloured theme on emuNAND so you can tell which one you are in, which reduces the chances of accidentally updating sysNAND or doing anything else dangerous. It also removes a bug where you have to "unwrap" all your eShop games every time you start up.

Cloudx77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for the explanation, you guys have really cleared this up for me. After much more research I've decided to go ahead and go for downgrading, and using the MSET hack as internet is not always reliable for me. So to go about that, I would format and update emuNAND first, and then downgrade?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Thanks again for the explanation, you guys have really cleared this up for me. After much more research I've decided to go ahead and go for downgrading, and using the MSET hack as internet is not always reliable for me. So to go about that, I would format and update emuNAND first, and then downgrade?
I haven't dowgraded myself but I think it doesn't matter. Except if you are not planning to upgrade emuNAND in which case more games will not work on 4.x than 7.1 (i.e format emuNAND before).

Cloudx77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do want to upgrade Emunand though, just in case I need to download updates. Its just that im not sure If i should format emunand and set it up now, or downgrade first and then set up emunand. As i read abut linking and unlinking and how I could lose access to eshop etc. So its just a matter of downgrading first then setting up emunand, or setting up emnand first, and then downgrading?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I do want to upgrade Emunand though, just in case I need to download updates. Its just that im not sure If i should format emunand and set it up now, or downgrade first and then set up emunand. As i read abut linking and unlinking and how I could lose access to eshop etc. So its just a matter of downgrading first then setting up emunand, or setting up emnand first, and then downgrading?
As I said I don't think it matters. Read a guide on downgrading and if it doesn't say you have to back up your emuNAND and reinject it later, then it won't matter (since it will be targeted at people who already set it all up before).

D

Deleted-355425

Make sure you backup your Nand and keep the file safe, it can be used to restore your console is something goes wrong or is gets bricked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night