Did anyone even want/own a Neo Geo console during is time?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what i know that was a expensive console, selling at $650 i think last i checked, compared to some other popular cosoles which was way cheaper, it would been smarter to get, but the others with more expensive likt the CDI and 3DO and such which was more expensive than sega, and nintendo, even playstation at the time.

Neo geo was a console made by SNK playmore, which is known for some popular titles like Metal Slug, The last Blade 2 Fatal Fury, Art Of fighting And still continuing series, King of fighters. They made Neo Geo, MVS (Multi Video system = arcade style system that can play multiple games) AES (Advanced entertainment system = Home console) The idea of the Neo geo was to allow Perfect arcade quality of your favorite games in your home on your tv, compared to how other games at the time usually toned down, removed and even refixed some things to work anything like in the arcade. It did deliver the same quality, but at a huge price. The system was released in 1990 (According to wikipedia) and costed over $600 to purchase, and the games itself wasn't any cheaper, at about over $200 a game.

Neo-Geo-AES-Console-Set.png

Neo-Geo-AES-Cartridge-Bottom.jpg

As you can see the system itself is pretty big, along with the included controller which is just based on the ones you play at arcades, and the cart was huge compared to anything existing at the time and even till this date. Just by looking at it, seem like it took lots of resources to make this perfect arcade converison possible.

Few years later they made neo geo cd, is basically the same thing, except it used Disc instead of carts to play games, which at the time drastically reduced sale cost to make and sell but comes with more common controller than the arcade controller, and introduce load times. Still is has the same arcade quality.

neogeocd.jpg

With prices like that, i wouldn't want it even if my parents would have been the one buying it, the ports to the consoles we had was already enough to satisfy me, even though, at the time, was too busy with sega and nintendo to really see a game get my interest. Now and days, most of the popular neo geo games can just be downloaded. (I mean bought legally and downloaded to play, not common rom and emulator) You can buy them on steam, humble bundle, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, wii virtual consoles in wii shop (Not to be confused with nintendo eshop) Still not every game is available on the services.
While all this sounds great, I never owned one, and i was curious is anyone HAD or ever WANTED to during is time in the market? Did you own any neo geo console? Doesn't matter if is the pocket one or this console one, just curious if anyone had interest in it "at the time" i must repeat.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Nobody I knew bought the thing when it was out. It was very expensive, especially for 90s money. I kinda sorta wanted one, but it wasn't any kind of burning desire. Certainly not $1000 worth in inflation-adjusted desire.

Another bad thing about the system was that it was fighter-centric, and Street Fighter 2 / Mortal Kombat were out at the time and were better games -- despite not being as visually impressive as Neo Geo.

Last edited by zoogie,

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When you say "HAD" did you mean purchased yourself as in paid the ridiculous ammount?:unsure:
Well my uncle gave me one when i was 6 and my father sell it few years later with all my consoles and games, and the worst part is that he sold all of it for almost nothing and kept all the money ..
give him a parenting award xD

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still own to this day a Neogeo CD, A pal AES and a 4 slot MVS board ghetto rigged up to a supergun. Awesome console for its day! But damn the games were expensive and the loading times on the CD were dire!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence - +1