Hacking Devolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiroshiYamauchi

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wow, this is great news! It's so exciting that i could even donate a few bucks right away, but if it turns out to be a hoax, then i'll be forced to ask for a Devolution.

Yeah, explicity bad pun intended... :creep:

loco365

Trophies
XP
This looks interesting. I wonder if it will load the Gamecube Testing Disc that never seems to work without a modchip?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm skeptical. Gamecube games from USB, fix the streaming audio thing, an alternative to memory cards and alternative controllers? And all from scratch, without using the sources from DML?

C'mon...I know tueidj knows more about wii coding than most on this forum (though with the standards on the average gbatemper, that's hardly an accomplishment), but this just seems too good to be true. :unsure:

Reactions: 2 people

OneUp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From my understanding of the description, Devolution will essentially be a GC emulator for Wii. So, theoretically, could you get the GC LAN adapter emulated?

Lord Coolman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
GC USB Loading? Wiimote and classic controller support? Fix for audio streaming? Save the progress in a HDD? GOOD COMPATIBILITY?
BLASPHEMY! Crediar will punish you for this!

-

Is this real?

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The project surely is real, the work has be as great as it sounds fantastic and operate in gc mode not wii mode.
Surely devolution will support all those features because it's able to run correctly gc games without aram in gc mode, which would leave the necessary access to MEM2 for the work.

An excellent work tueidj :yaywii:

Well, maybe not...
http://www.gc-foreve...?p=11518#p11518
emu_kidid said:
I have been talking with tueidj about this but what I do won't benefit at all from his work. He's basically got GC games running in Wii mode
icon_e_smile.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have the same questions than WiiBricker, plus some others:

Is it coded in Mini to access your own hardware and not depend on the MIOS limitation? (I don't know if HBC can run Mini).
Is it really booting in MIOS/BC and full GCmode, or do you use these function as an "official" GC emulator layer in Wii mode?

Why is apploader version is different on each game? Is it using the apploader from the game/iso? or maybe it's region dependent.
That's great that it's region free. I have retail imported games I used to launch with freeloader.

Good luck on the development, and don't care the troll's comment here ;)

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Holy crap, 4 pages for a project that isn't due out for nearly two months?

First the easy stuff:
- Of course it's real.
- I said I won't be accepting donations. Go buy more games instead.
- I haven't completely decided on the "anti-piracy" method yet. The obvious path is to require the original disc in the drive but that won't work for the newer wiis since they can't accept GC discs. But they probably won't be supported by the initial release anyway, until wiimote/classic controller support is added. There are ways to tie disc images to nearly any piece of specific hardware including individual memory cards, wiimotes, SD cards and USB drives. And if I really don't want it to be "cracked", it probably won't be.

This is great news. I cant wait to see how this turns out. Do the games in the fully working list all play at 100% speed, even in cut scenes and stuff?
See the video. I actually had to add a delay into SD/USB reading to make MOH:EA and the N64 Zelda games work because otherwise they dropped interrupts and stalled.

Respect replacing GCN controllers completely, I don´t think it will work for games that use analog shoulders like R: Racing Evolution, Super Mario Sunshine, Rogue Leader, to name a few.
The early classic controllers did have analog triggers. The later models are backwards compatible so they fake the analog values (which isn't optimal, but I still prefer it over a wired controller).

EDIT3: COLLOSEUM!?! You are my hero.

EDIT4: You must be a Nintendo dev if you got a chainloader disc to work (Zelda Collector's Edition).
Glad somebody noticed that: 007: Nightfire, MOH:EA and the zelda collection all use chain loading. Devolution keeps the game running in a sandbox and patches code on-the-fly, so multiple .dol/.elf files aren't a problem.

I'm guessing since he author is keeping his source private its a crazy method.
It is. I could probably post the entire source code and nobody would be able to understand any of it.

As I understand it, BC (very similar to boot2) puts the Wii in GC mode so it runs at half the speed. If you were to go around that and have it run at the same speed as a Wii, you would have GC game overclocked so they would be unplayable (or at least no fun).
This doesn't use BC and the hardware runs at full speed ("wii mode"). The games still run at their correct speed because they were always designed to cope with different hardware configurations (devkits with extra memory, PC emulators etc.).

From my understanding of the description, Devolution will essentially be a GC emulator for Wii. So, theoretically, could you get the GC LAN adapter emulated?
Theoretically yes. But it's a pretty complicated piece of hardware that doesn't really fit the wii's network interface at all, there would be a huge amount of work involved.

Is it coded in Mini to access your own hardware and not depend on the MIOS limitation? (I don't know if HBC can run Mini).
Is it really booting in MIOS/BC and full GCmode, or do you use these function as an "official" GC emulator layer in Wii mode?

Why is apploader version is different on each game? Is it using the apploader from the game/iso? or maybe it's region dependent.
It runs under IOS like any other wii homebrew. It could be modified to run under MINI but then would only support SD, which would more or less be the same thing as DML.
It doesn't need to use MIOS/BC/GCmode or emulation, since all the GC hardware is already there. It doesn't even need AHBPROT if you're loading from USB/SD.
The apploader runs from the game disc image, it doesn't really do much besides load the FST and main .dol file into memory.

Reactions: 17 people

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Holy crap, 4 pages for a project that isn't due out for nearly two months?
You've basicly announced the holy grail for GC-lovers, so yeah.

EDIT3: COLLOSEUM!?! You are my hero.

EDIT4: You must be a Nintendo dev if you got a chainloader disc to work (Zelda Collector's Edition).
Glad somebody noticed that: 007: Nightfire, MOH:EA and the zelda collection all use chain loading. Devolution keeps the game running in a sandbox and patches code on-the-fly, so multiple .dol/.elf files aren't a problem.
I'm really wondering how you've managed to create this kind of sandbox, the Wii seems less than optimal for this.

I'm guessing since he author is keeping his source private its a crazy method.
It is. I could probably post the entire source code and nobody would be able to understand any of it.
I doubt that. ;)

As I understand it, BC (very similar to boot2) puts the Wii in GC mode so it runs at half the speed. If you were to go around that and have it run at the same speed as a Wii, you would have GC game overclocked so they would be unplayable (or at least no fun).
This doesn't use BC and the hardware runs at full speed ("wii mode"). The games still run at their correct speed because they were always designed to cope with different hardware configurations (devkits with extra memory, PC emulators etc.).
AFAIK some GC-games like Melee might have some trouble with a different clock-speed, or does this not affect these games?
Theoretically yes. But it's a pretty complicated piece of hardware that doesn't really fit the wii's network interface at all, there would be a huge amount of work involved.
I believe this would be my most anticipated feature ever when looking at gamecube loading. Doubt it will ever happen but still, if your source code will ever be released I would gladly try some reversing for this.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm really wondering how you've managed to create this kind of sandbox, the Wii seems less than optimal for this.
Sandboxing is easy for CPUs that support protected mode.

AFAIK some GC-games like Melee might have some trouble with a different clock-speed, or does this not affect these games?
I haven't seen any speed-related issues with any of the games I've tested. As long as the game is told what the actual speed is, it runs ok.

I believe this would be my most anticipated feature ever when looking at gamecube loading. Doubt it will ever happen but still, if your source code will ever be released I would gladly try some reversing for this.
Well, the BBA device is talked to directly over EXI: http://hitmen.c02.at...10.html#sec10.8
Which somehow would have to be translated into these high level socket calls: http://devkitpro.svn...pe=text%2Fplain
There are also other minor issues with networking, such as an IOS bug that trashes certain locations in low memory when the wifi driver is up.

Reactions: 1 person

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If this is true, then we were all wrong with our thoughts about gamecube games and gamecube mode only. Normally tueidj says the truth about everything, so we will need to believe him for now ;)

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, I guess you'd pick up something while watching tub streams.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Dick fights. :tpi:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Turkish olive oil wrestling.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well I believe I'm about to get hit with a spring sinus infuction
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Shame it wasn't Facebook that paused them