Hacking Devolution - Public Release

IceIceBird

Trophies
XP
Country
You have an unreleased revision from the future? Or am I missing something? (The build linked in the first post is r94 according to the first post, and according to the meta.xml in the ZIP, it was released on 10/07/2012 [or 2012/07/10 in your backwards date format :P])

I'm just reading what my version that I downloaded via here @ start of this thread says at the loader screen (when I hit X to mount my USB drive.)
A nice litle changelog in the 1 post would also be nice ;)

Reactions: 2 people

M tha MaN

Trophies
Website
www.psxtools.de
XP
Country
Germany
Forgot to mention it in my last post.

I ripped my GC games with my WODE and they work with devolution.

I haven't tried all. I first tried RE Remake disc 2 and after verifying it didn't start, i thought it was incompatible. Some hours later I tried RE Remake disc 1 and it started.

Why does disc 1 start and disc 2 not ? So I thought give it a go one more time. Tried it again and than it worked ???...

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
I take back my confirmation on Monkey Ball -- maybe I dreamed it.

Anyway, all NTSC games on a purely soft modded Wii. Ripped / loaded via USB Loader GX. (I'll play around with the example loader just in case later --- still ripping a couple games)

Log Files for all the below

Working:
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Strikers
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Sonic Mega Collection
Zoids Battle Legends (hell of a log file though)

Slightly Buggy:
Super Smash Bros Melee 1.0: Menu glitches, some effect glitches, otherwise fine
Very Buggy:
007 Nightfire : Colors are wrong (bluish) and overall laggy (entirely loader issue)
Mario Golf - Toadstool Tour: Colors are wrong (rotated?) and overall laggy (entirely loader issue)
Mario Power Tennis: Colors are wrong (rotated?) and overall laggy (entirely loader issue)
Naruto Clash of the Ninja 2 : Colors are wrong (bluish), seizuriffic on some screens, and overall laggy (all but menu/bg issues from loader)

Not Working:
Luigi's Mansion : Black screen after verify, verify file is all 0 except the game title (Fixed as of r100)
Super Monkey Ball : Black screen after verify, verify file is all 0 except the game title (Freezes like 2 as of r100)
Super Monkey Ball 2: Freezes either at "I love ba(nanas)" video or memory card selection (Block distorted text also as of r100)

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Use the sample loader instead. That loader is not setting the device properly (SD/USB) and most likely isn't setting the correct video mode either which is causing the colour issues.

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
Use the sample loader instead. That loader is not setting the device properly (SD/USB) and most likely isn't setting the correct video mode either which is causing the colour issues.

As you wish. New logs for all the below.

Working:
007 Nightfire
Mario Golf
Mario Tennis

Buggy:
Naruto Clash of Ninja 2 : Menus and some scenery graphically glitches. Menus look like they are rapidly swapping transparency (and possibly colors) and some scenery is simply psychedelic (while other bits appear normally).

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, I will be hanging out at the local Play N Trade tomorrow to give the owner/manager a day off. Does anyone have any requests for me to look for and test out with Devo?

Heh, former Play N Trade owner here, I can say for sure that day off is much appreciated. If you get time to test out MGS that would be nice, I dont think I've seen anyone talk about it here. If it works, then holy balls I'm ripping my copy tonight. That, Eternal Darkness, SFA, and PSO III are the only games I own that are not 100% working through DM, would be fantastic if I can add my GC library to storage.

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Why does disc 1 start and disc 2 not ? So I thought give it a go one more time. Tried it again and than it worked ???...

So when you try to start disc 2, does it load disc 1? If so, I am pretty sure this was coded intentionally that way. Of course, maybe its the ambien I've been taking the last few days to try and get bits of sleep telling me this.. So does WODE do true 1:1 backups?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Edited my last post but thought I'd report it here, too.

Rebel Strike works fine although Rouge Leader doesn't.
Having read over several pages since then :

I will look into if it's under dumped or not but I dumped it twice with the same md5 that was also reported here (unless it's just some weird bug in ClearRip that doesn't actually write the last cluster to the disk but still includes in in the checksum). The fact that the first post says it loops with the 5 flashes while it repeatedly TRIES to verify it makes me think that the 5 flashes are actually mean "verifying" and not "verified" so they would be emitted right before attempting the verification. I can only guess it creates the empty DVV file in preparation and then freezes in the process.

To correct myself about [member='tueidj']'s idea to be able to support multiple file systems with the help of the loader front-ends, never mind my worry about Devolution's inability to load/create the DVV file. It just clicked that it would also be getting access to that file the same way.

As far as corrupting the hard drive, obviously, there's no proof it WAS or WASN'T Devolution's fault but the fact that only the apps folder was left intact could just be that it was the creation of the /apps/gc_devo/ folder was at fault.

At first I was fooled by the poll results, too, but it looks like although the results say 142 people wanted to leave it as-is, there were only 13 people who cast their votes. I'm a little slow sometimes but I caught on eventually.

Moeca10

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Just wanted to say "thank you" to tueidj for this. Finally I can play (some of) my GC games again. DIOS MIOS won't work for me, and the Disc Channel won't load the games.

Just tried Starfox Adventures, and it worked like a charm. However, Luigi's Mansion didn't respond after 5 blinks and Wind Waker just did the 5 blinks over and over again. But this is early days for Devolution, really appreciate all the hard work you must have put into this! Keep it up :)

Reactions: 2 people

Maverick Lunar X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confirm SFA as well, PSO III, Eternal Darkness, about to confirm MGS:TTS and Killer7 as well. I'll double check but I'm pretty sure those are the only two disc games I own.

Joel Schmidt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I know what you mean. I can't get 3.0 slot 249 to install ANYTHING to my USB flash drive, but 3.0 slot 250 and 2.3 slot 249 work fine. I really do like USB loader, but not so much headaches like those.

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Soo... who can guess what the NTSC versions of Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball and Wave Race have in common, besides freezing after the five flashes sequence?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Soo... who can guess what the NTSC versions of Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball and Wave Race have in common, besides freezing after the five flashes sequence?

They are all early (first ?) release titles so maybe they are using an earlier (bugged ?) apploader which is not fully supported by devilolution (yet ?)

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
same dolphin kernel version
Perhaps, but that wouldn't cause an issue before the game starts.

They're all launch titles, using the same buggy apploader that references r13 without knowing what memory it's pointing at. In this case that causes IOS to crash... the apploader is still able to finish because the disc is being read using direct register accesses, but when it tries to switch to reading from SD/USB IOS doesn't answer.

Jacobeian wins a gold star.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: