Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I've followed a few video tutorials and have no luck verifying either Mario Kart Double Dash or Luigi's Mansion on the Wii U.

I'm running into the same problem. I verify the games just fine on the Wii, and use the same Wii remote throughout the process. Once the game loads on the wii I shut it off and turn on the Wii U, sync up the same wiimote, start vWii, boot up Devolution, pick the game and the screen just stays black.

The Wii remote flashes the player 1 light every few seconds, my USB drive keeps flashing its light about 8 times in a row then stopping, but nothing ever shows up on screen. I can press power to exit to HBC just fine though.

I've tried 3 of the 4 Wii U's USB ports, and 3 different remotes and even using the same USB device throughout the process.

Does anybody have an idea what I'm doing wrong? I would greatly appreciate any help.

I haven't installed any special IOSes, I'm not sure if they're necessary, I just added homebrew to my Wii U tonight and this is the first thing I did. Another thing possibly worth noting is the process creates a .DVV file, but it's a blank 256 byte file.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
even using the same USB device throughout the process.
Not sure what guides you're following but using the same drive is not an optional step, it is mandatory. The other important thing is making sure the wiimote(s) are connected before you insert the original disc for verification.
Just read the README.TXT file, the instructions aren't hard...

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the readme.txt I did not see anything about needing to use the same USB drive throughout. Regardless I tried it all again and was able to get it working on the Wii U, which is great!

However, as soon as I got it working on the Wii U, I launched devolution on the Wii, had to reverify, and tried to do the LAN mode. It just said "searching for gamecubes" for 180 seconds and they could not find each other. I thought I'd just restart each system and try again, but now the Wii U version isn't working again. Anyone know why LAN mode isn't working or why Devolution would just stop working on my Wii U? I didn't touch or change a thing on the Wii U.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still sounds like you're not doing things correctly.
You should have two HDDs or SDs, each with their own image of the game. Verify both on the wii, making sure the wiimotes you intend to use on the wiiu are connected before inserting the disc. Once it's done once for both HDDs, there will be no need to do it again (unless you mess with the .DVV files). One drive is for the WiiU and the other for the Wii.
The WiiU will always require one of the wiimotes to be connected, otherwise it won't launch the game.
Don't use any other loaders besides the sample loader, they have tendencies to corrupt filesystems (courtesy of libfat; try running fsck after any wii homebrew app writes changes to a disk and you'll see errors).
Make sure both systems have already had their network setup done properly, they will need to be on the same subnet. If you have a windows 7 PC on the same network, try browsing the network PCs when the games are searching for other systems. They should show up as "Other Devices" since they use UPnP. If you look at their properties you can see the IP address / MAC address to distinguish between them, in case some aren't showing up.
If all else fails, post logs.

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's weird. I swear, I did the exact same thing last night, with two USB drives and two SD cards and it worked once and then stopped on the Wii U when I shut it off. I never disconnected or reconnect any wiimotes during the process either and was using the default devolution loader. Regardless, it's working now even when I shut it off which is great. Thank you.

However, the games still do not connect in Lan mode. I checked the networking using a Windows 7 PC like you recommended and got their IPs, MAC addresses and unique identifiers. They're both connected to the same wireless router and when I click on them in windows explorer it verifies that.

EDIT: My two systems ARE on the same subnet. I found my subnet mask by typing ipconfig into Windows command prompt. Their IPs are the same except for the last number. Any idea why they're not connecting?

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wifi logs would show what Devolution thinks the wii's IP, subnet etc. are. But if a PC can already see both of them at the same time, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to see each other. Maybe there's another UPnP device on your network being extra noisy causing packet loss.

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only other thing on my network was a wireless printer, but I turned that off just to make sure.

Still have the same problem. I used the logging tool from this video and got a few logs. If I just let it sit at the screen waiting to find another gamecube the log only contained "Network Config: Ven 0000 Ver 0100 Flags 00000001"

If I waited for it to finish the 180 second count down the log would say

"Network Config: Ven 0000 Ver 0100 Flags 00000001
Got negative IPC reply for 932376E0 (-56)"

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not the important part of the logs. When Devolution initializes the network it shows the MAC address being used, IP, netmask, etc. Post the whole log from both systems.

Just to clarify you are telling BOTH systems to search at the same time? Not just one?

Lazareth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
on your windows PC, install Nmap, it'll install ncat for you, and then you can do a shell. After you install Nmap, open up a command prompt (press win+r and type cmd and hit enter) and then type "ncat -l -p 64444 -u"....

launch Devolution and tadaa! You'll start getting a log. From there, do the same thing as you did before, the log will output everything needed to figure out your networking problem.

even easier, do this in the command prompt "ncat -l -p 64444 -u > log.txt" and it will save it to a file called log.txt in your user folder. (you won't see anything during the whole ordeal, but it is logging everything.)

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I am telling both to search at the same time. And ah, I didn't realize when the important information came in.

Here's the log of the Wii:
http://pastebin.com/zEz7UaMv
And here's the log of the Wii U:
http://pastebin.com/i0C4LBAZ

I did these logs with the other system off. Anything look odd to you?
Edit. I just realized I stopped my logs at the Start screen. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Lazareth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I know much of your issue, but I wonder why your Wii is switching to Wifi channel 6 and your Wii U is not.

Also, could you include the logs from each while attempting to do a search/host a LAN game?

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I know much of your issue, but I wonder why your Wii is switching to Wifi channel 6 and your Wii U is not.

Also, could you include the logs from each while attempting to do a search/host a LAN game?

I was wondering why the Wii switches channel too. I can't figure out why it's doing it or how to prevent it. I cleared my internet settings and tried to recreate the internet connection settings and it still does it.

Also the only additional info that appears when I do a search is the two lines:
"Network Config: Ven 0000 Ver 0100 Flags 00000001
Got negative IPC reply for 932376E0 (-56) "

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd help test this whole "Wirelessly connecting a Wii and a Wii U to play Mario Kart" thing, but I still need to get my discs back. It's been months, now...

on your windows PC, install Nmap, it'll install ncat for you, and then you can do a shell. After you install Nmap, open up a command prompt (press win+r and type cmd and hit enter) and then type "ncat -l -p 64444 -u"....

launch Devolution and tadaa! You'll start getting a log. From there, do the same thing as you did before, the log will output everything needed to figure out your networking problem.

even easier, do this in the command prompt "ncat -l -p 64444 -u > log.txt" and it will save it to a file called log.txt in your user folder. (you won't see anything during the whole ordeal, but it is logging everything.)
Just on a whim, I tried doing this with Melee (run on a Wii U) and didn't get any logs, even after verifying that no Windows-side firewalls were in the way. And, yes. I can connect to the system using SMB and other transfer protocols, and even Devo's HTTP screenshot capturing page. just... never Devo's logging systems. If computers weren't perfectly logical beasts with no free will whatsoever, my first instinct would be insubordination on my Wii (U)'s part. Perhaps my router is actively blocking such packets on the local network? It shouldn't be, as I never told it to. And running DD-WRT means that a lot of weight is put on things I told it to do. Maybe I'll try and run a packet sniff directly with my router or something, if even that hunch isn't true. I can also indeed verify that there is an actual connection from the fixed IP I gave my Wii U when I'm running Devo.

This is a real puzzler, to be honest. And I still do want to see what's wrong with my Super Monkey Ball.

EDIT: I tried Nmap on my Wii U's IP, and UDP port 64444 is apparently... closed. While Devolution is running. With a whole bunch of other UDP ports flagged as open/filtered.

inacito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I've been using devolution on the WiiU for some months without problems. I did all the process and sold my old Wii when everything worked. But I've just uopdated the SD card to a bigger one and the games have stopped working. I've copied all the files from the apps/gcdevo folder, including a lot of .dvv new ones, I've tried with a fresh installation and so far nothing. The game loads but the screen is forever blank. The WiiMote is the same one. If I put the older smaller SD card it Works again.
Any help? I do not have my Wii anymore...

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello, I've been using devolution on the WiiU for some months without problems. I did all the process and sold my old Wii when everything worked. But I've just uopdated the SD card to a bigger one and the games have stopped working. I've copied all the files from the apps/gcdevo folder, including a lot of .dvv new ones, I've tried with a fresh installation and so far nothing. The game loads but the screen is forever blank. The WiiMote is the same one. If I put the older smaller SD card it Works again.

I am afraid you need to buy a wii somewhere, this is how Devolution's Piracy protection works.
You have to use the same sd or hdd device and the same wiimote going from wii to wii u, if you change something afterwards, you will have to do the verify procedure again.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC there is a tailored patch used for SSBM that means widescreen only takes effect when a match starts. So if you switch it on or off mid-game you won't see anything change until a new stage gets loaded.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so here's the deal, I bought a Wii U Pro controller (for only $10, amazing deal) but it isn't an official Nintendo controller. The controller works with WiiFlow and Nintendont but does not work with devolution (yes, I have the latest version). Tueidj I tried to message you on DCEmu about it, but decided to make an account here and post info in hopes of getting a response sooner. (dunno when you get on there)
Totally late on this, but try to post over on GC-Forever since tueidj posts there still.

If you still have your original SD card with all the original data on it that still works, the trick is to backup and/or copy the entire partition to your new SD card. This will result in Devolution thinking your new SD card is the same as your old SD card.

Note however that afterwards, on your new SD card, you will want to resize the partition to the full size of your new SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/