Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not quite. If you're comparing it to Nintendont, Devo still has a few tricks up its sleeve for now:

1. You can play both PSO games, and go online with them.
1a. It supports USB keyboards, making you able to type in both PSO games.
2 (need to confirm and test this, I'm going from memory at the moment). It has a better widescreen hack.
3. Editing which player slot a Bluetooth controller uses is a little more intuitive than Nintendont, for now.
4. PS3 controllers can connect wirelessly.

Hence why I advocate using both if you can.
You can use real memory cards, as well as GC-GBA connectivity. Pretty sure Nintendont doesn't do either of those. Oh, and does Nintendont do screen shots like DM(L)? Devo has a different method, but Nintendont can't take any screenshots AFAIK.

Reactions: tmv_josue

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I forgot about the real memory cards, and GBA cable. But no, Nintendont doesn't support screenshots.

No clue if it will either, since I'm not a dev for it. I'm just a fan sitting on the sidelines, enjoying the fact that I can look at its source whenever (call me weird, but it's fun to see how it has developed over time).

Back on-topic: I think we can all agree Devolution isn't down and out for the count just yet, as much as some people might like to think. I say just use both if you've got the ability to, and enjoy the best of both worlds.

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know the GC-GBA connectivity and also the BBA connection was mentioned in the 1st few readmes as planned for the future. Have we heard word about that?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I know the GC-GBA connectivity and also the BBA connection was mentioned in the 1st few readmes as planned for the future. Have we heard word about that?

The GC-GBA cable does work in Devolution. No BBA emulation, though, as far as I know. It only emulates the dial-up modem so PSO can go online.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I was just reading the .txt included in r234 and it reads:

- Alternative mediums as memory cards (SD / USB / NAND)

Anyone tried or know how to store a GC savegame in the NAND?
The memory card has to be already present on NAND, devolution will not create it, so the user (or the external loader used to launch Devolution) has to create an empty memcard.bin file on NAND (into "/shared2/sys/memcard.bin").

Once the file is created, then the loader need to have an option to tell devolution to use it.
I didn't add this option in USBLoaderGX, I thought not a lot of users would use it.
I can allow the option to use NAND location, but the user will have to create the memory card himself as I don't like the idea of the loader writing files to NAND.

I personally prefer saving to SD/USB, it's easier to manage/backup.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have the same opinion as Cyan. I don't see a whole lot of point in using the NAND to save memory cards. For one, the NAND is small as it is, and two, you need an external device (SD or USB) to even run games in the first place, so it's not like Devo won't have a place to save. Thirdly, it sort of restricts your saves to one Wii until you bother retrieving it off the NAND and moving it elsewhere (e.g. SD/USB/some other device via WiiXplorer's FTP).

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
The memory card has to be already present on NAND, devolution will not create it, so the user (or the external loader used to launch Devolution) has to create an empty memcard.bin file on NAND (into "/shared2/sys/memcard.bin").

Once the file is created, then the loader need to have an option to tell devolution to use it.
I didn't add this option in USBLoaderGX, I thought not a lot of users would use it.
I can allow the option to use NAND location, but the user will have to create the memory card himself as I don't like the idea of the loader writing files to NAND.

I personally prefer saving to SD/USB, it's easier to manage/backup.
I was just curious about this alternative method to store saves. You are right, saving in SD/USB is better for backup purposes.

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite. If you're comparing it to Nintendont, Devo still has a few tricks up its sleeve for now:

1. You can play both PSO games, and go online with them.
1a. It supports USB keyboards, making you able to type in both PSO games.
2 (need to confirm and test this, I'm going from memory at the moment). It has a better widescreen hack.
3. Editing which player slot a Bluetooth controller uses is a little more intuitive than Nintendont, for now.
4. PS3 controllers can connect wirelessly.

Hence why I advocate using both if you can.

I don't think the Widescreen hack for devolution is any better than Nintendont, it's certainly not as good as Swiss in terms of widescreen. Swiss can actually run Animal Crossing and Double Dash in widescreen, devolution and Nintendont do not.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think the Widescreen hack for devolution is any better than Nintendont, it's certainly not as good as Swiss in terms of widescreen. Swiss can actually run Animal Crossing and Double Dash in widescreen, devolution and Nintendont do not.
Animal Crossing:
gLNWzZq.png

Double Dash:
AYxw40y.png

It works better than any other widescreen version of those games.

Reactions: tmv_josue

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, the benefits of Nintendont outweigh the benefits of Devolution. I'm sure in time more and more of the few remaining benefits of Devolution will disappaer (though supposedly there are no plans to ever implement GBA-GC connectivity in Nintendont so that may be one of the few areas where Devolution will always excel), but at this point, the envy i once felt for this AP protected Gamecube player is long gone, and nothing is making me say "aww, too bad Nintendont can't do that." I'm glad there are those of you out there that really love this program and get more out of it than others, but for me and my personal use on my Wii U, Nintendont more than fulfills all of my needs and I'm so grateful for its existence.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having problems getting devolution to work more than once. I'm not really sure whats going on with it. I have a bunch of games previously verified (in r200) that worked when I tried to the revision but now they do not seem to want to load and end up freezing my Wii U. I've tried using USB Loader GX and just using the devolution app, nothing really seems to make a difference. I even reverified my copy of Double Dash. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having problems getting devolution to work more than once. I'm not really sure whats going on with it. I have a bunch of games previously verified (in r200) that worked when I tried to the revision but now they do not seem to want to load and end up freezing my Wii U. I've tried using USB Loader GX and just using the devolution app, nothing really seems to make a difference. I even reverified my copy of Double Dash. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Dumb mistake by me. I forgot that the directory for devolution is different than my directory for the my gamecube games in USB Loader GX. So everytime I tried to load up double dash in USB Loader GX it wouldn't load it because it was a patch version of Double Dash from back when I was using it for DIOS-MIOS. I guess this is what happens when I don't keep my stuff up to date. I replaced my DIOS-MIOS patched version of Double Dash with my non compressed cleanrip version and it worked just fine.

Reactions: MassiveRican

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
... if not could you please explain how to remap the buttons in a sort of remapping-for-dummies way? I do know a little about this kind of stuff but am VERY far from calling myself experienced.
The best solution, I think, is either using the direct button mapping option in a Backup Loader program that uses Devolution or use my default loader mod that I added a settings menu to. You can get that in this thread from my sig:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/maxternals-wiiflow-plugins-and-java-apps.344802/

I'm having issues to verify these games with Devo r234:

Wait WHAT?
r234 ??!?!
I knew I had been inactive for a bit and just skimming the last few pages but how did I manage to miss this!??!!

The NAND save feature I've been seeing here seems pretty cool, anyone know what else has been added since r200?
*goes and downloads to investigate*

NICE
I'll just now have all the more reason to get my dev kit back up and running. My mod and WiiFlow plugin will need updating.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.