Hacking Devolution - Even better than the real thing?

wiismodrome

flubber
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
As most of you probably know by now, tueidj has written a Gamecube loader for USB and SD which runs Gamecube games in Wii mode. Among other things, this allows Devolution to take advantage of the Wii's superior hardware features. In many ways, the Wii is "Gamecube 1.5", as it uses very similar core hardware which is clocked 50% higher, with the addition of built-in Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and USB 2.0 support . The Gamecube's PowerPC CPU runs at 486 MHz - the Wii's CPU at 729 MHz. Gamecube's Broadway GPU runs at 162 MHz - Wii's Hollywood at 243 MHz. Theoretically, this should offer a significant performance advantage.

Something I've noticed when running certain games in Devolution is that gameplay seems to be smoother in Wii mode than when playing from disc. As an example, when playing in GC mode from disc, XGRA: Extreme G-Racing Association exhibits a somewhat erratic frame rate, which is especially noticeable when there is a lot of action on screen; yet while running at the faster Wii clock rates in Devolution the game plays very smoothly, without obvious hiccups. I've encountered similar behavior in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. I'm thinking that the faster CPU/GPU speeds in Wii mode allow Devolution to run Gamecube games even better than in a real Gamecube.

Anyone else experienced similar results when playing games using Devolution?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh, so then does that mean Crash Bandicoot the Wrath of Cortex wouldn't have a sporadic framerate, either?
Wrath of Cortex apparently runs too fast according to the wiki. Normally this means the cpu timer is being used as a base for frame generation rather than the actual video hardware (which is pretty poor programming and why it isn't seen very often). Maybe they don't use a timer at all and just render as fast as possible.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wrath of Cortex apparently runs too fast according to the wiki. Normally this means the cpu timer is being used as a base for frame generation rather than the actual video hardware (which is pretty poor programming and why it isn't seen very often). Maybe they don't use a timer at all and just render as fast as possible.
Is there any way to fix something like that or will that game just never work properly with Devolution?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's fixable, other games like Killer 7 and Smuggler's Run: Warzones had similar issues. Also any game that uses BINK video would play cut scenes too fast if a certain patch wasn't used, there's quite a lot of those.

Reactions: 1 person

wiismodrome

flubber
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Assuming that frame rates are actually better/more stable in Devolution, this would also give it a bit of an advantage over DIOS MIOS, at least for games that struggle to keep consistent frame rates. Some games already run at a locked 60 FPS, so they probably wouldn't see much, if any, change.

Is there any software control of CPU/GPU clock rates outside of BC/MIOS?

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh, so then does that mean Crash Bandicoot the Wrath of Cortex wouldn't have a sporadic framerate, either?
Freekstyle is another game it goes a little faster than normal.
But I did not report, because I like :ninja:

Is there any software control of CPU/GPU clock rates outside of BC/MIOS?
AFAIK no, I only remember a version of Waninkoko's cMIOS that had an easter egg in it allowing run a few titles to overspeed.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AFAIK no, I only remember a version of Waninkoko's cMIOS that had an easter egg in it allowing run a few titles to overspeed.
That was just loading MIOS directly instead of loading BC and allowing it to load MIOS (it's BC that changes clock speed etc.). crediar had released a video of it long before Waninkoko added it (and it was in cIOS, not cMIOS; don't think Waninkoko even made a cMIOS, but by the time cMIOS would have been loaded it would have been too late as BC would have already changed the clock speed), and many people could have done it (by my understanding, it was literally a case of loading MIOS, which would take only a few lines of code). Obviously without the additional patches etc. of Devolution, the games didn't run properly so there wasn't a huge amount of point in it.

EDIT: crediar's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzVpo5IPdM

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, I know crediar showed the video long before than waninkoko but never provided any tools to do it (AFAIK), the fact is that only with the Wanin's cIOS (thanks for the correction) is possible to do it.

And I know that devolution patches the games to function properly but it would be a nice feature.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, I know crediar showed the video long before than waninkoko but never provided any tools to do it (AFAIK), the fact is that only with the Wanin's cIOS (thanks for the correction) is possible to do it.

And I know that devolution patches the games to function properly but it would be a nice feature.
Well as I say, it should be pretty easy for someone who knows what they're doing; loading a particular title isn't hard by my understanding.

wiismodrome

flubber
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If anyone knows of specific GC games with frame rate problems please post them in this thread and I'll see if I can test them in Devolution for comparison.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
This reminds me of a previous statement by you
Anyone who creates a game that ignores vsync should be banned from ever developing games again.

wiismodrome

flubber
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Regarding vsync/tearing, I recently came across this post from one of developers of Metal Arms: Glitch in the System:

Tearing
----------
Yes, we decided to allow the tearing to achieve a smoother game. The alternative would have been to limit the game to 30FPS even in areas where it could have run at 60, or to suddenly drop the frame rate from 60 down to 30 whenever the frame rate dropped just slightly below 60. In my opinion, the tearing is the lesser of the evils and in all of our focus testing, it was never noticed. But it's obviously more noticeable to some players than others.

Different games use different solutions. Halo limits their frame rate to 30 and avoids the tearing. Jak & Daxter 2, Simpsons Hit & Run, and Metal Arms allow the tearing to achieve the maximum frame rate possible. Prince of Persia flips between 60 and 30. There is no ideal solution and it all comes down to personal preference. So, in our future games, we're looking for ways to allow the player to select which method to use. That will make everybody happy! Not sure if it'll be allowed by the console manufacturers, but we're going to give it a shot
1.gif
From my own testing, the game plays fairly smoothly in Devolution, with some minor frame rate drops in certain situations. I'm going to play through again from the disc (in GC mode) for comparison.

gbatenp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about Gc tech demo. It has some framerate drops, specially on wireframe mode and with AA turned on, it would be a good test. Is it possible, or will be possible, to run this demo?

And a stupid question about the program... it's even possible to run original GC games from their discs?? Just to try if it runs better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Yawn