Status
Not open for further replies.

Developer Playtonic Removes Jontron from Yooka-Laylee Cast

banner yuka.jpg

The developer behind Yooka-Laylee, a Kickstarter-funded spiritual successor to the beloved Banjo-Kazooie series plans to remove the Youtuber Jontron (Jon Jafari) from the game's cast of voice actors via a Day 1 update after his recent series controversial tweets regarding ethnic minorities in America. Jontron was always a big, vocal fan of the series and was invited to collaborate on the project back in February 2015. Many might say that he was pivotal in reviving the interest in Banjo-Kazooie through his content, both on Game Grumps and his own Youtube channel. Playtonic explained their position in an interview with Gameindustry.biz:
"We recently became aware of comments made by voice artist JonTron after development on Yooka-Laylee had been completed (...) JonTron is a talented video presenter who we were initially, two years ago, happy to include as a voice contributor in our game. However, in light of his recent personal viewpoints we have made the decision to remove JonTron's inclusion in the game via a forthcoming content update. We would like to make absolutely clear that we do not endorse or support JonTron's personal viewpoints and that, as an external fan contributor, he does not represent Playtonic in any capacity. Playtonic is a studio that celebrates diversity in all forms and strives to make games that everyone can enjoy. As such, we deeply regret any implied association that could make players feel anything but 100% comfortable in our game worlds, or distract from the incredible goodwill and love shown by our fans and Kickstarter backers."

This recent development in the Jontron controversy raises an important question regarding Free Speech. I can fully understand Playtonic's position - they're distancing themselves from Jontron in order to prevent any damage to their brand. On the other hand, one could argue that Jontron is free to voice his views on his own platform and shouldn't be penalised for them elsewhere.

Naturally this is a very controversial issue, so I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the matter. What's your opinion? Tell us in comments below!

Update: Jontron acknowledged the decision via his Twitter and although he finds it unfortunate, he understands it and wishes the developers a successful launch.

"Unfortunate to see Playtonic remove me from Yooka Laylee, but I understand their decision. I wish them the best with their launch!"

~https://www.twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/845038284967493638

:arrow: Source (Gameindustry.biz)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
you didn't make it clear thou, you had a long diatribe as if i advocated violence on people that disagreed with me instead of making actual rebuttals on anything else i said, which you're doing now by correcting me on the Cold War (with did have smaller conflicts and a body count btw)

i'm starting to get the feeling you're derailing the discussion so that you won't have to admit your wrong about something
I was pointing out the errors in your reasoning, I have nothing to gain or lose, nor do I aim at changing your opinion. I'm not the one drilling the subject of fascism, you are. I've expressed my desire to move on from the topic, which was a complete detour from the original conversation, but you keep adding additional questions for me to answer. I am more than happy to return to the actual subject at hand, which is Playtonic's decision to remove JonTron from the game - in fact, I would prefer that as I don't want the thread to continue devolving into bunk science and conspiracy theories, all of which will have to be removed by the moderation team anyways. This wasn't meant to be a flame war and I most certainly don't want it to be one.

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, but still, I don't think that's a good example. A small minority of people do this. Generally, people who decide to migrate to another part of the world aren't the ones with questionable/illegal traditions.

That mostly would be the case if migration was by chose and even then there are some that migrate to spread there value's/culture.
But in case of forced migration because of conflict such traditions do tend to come with them, since such people wouldn't know or share most of the value's and laws of the country they flee to.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Practices such as FGM and child brides which would be against the law in the "west".
questioning religious figures(priests,prophets,god) and practices which would be against laws in a great deal of the middle east.
Laws should be influenced by science and science debunks that children can consent at a very young age because they aren't mentally developed enough to make rational and critical decisions. Religion needs to stay out of laws too.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Religion should never have an influence in laws in the first place so jot that down. Homosexuals really don't do anything to you other than existing so there's really no reason for why they should be illegal.

There's an odd effect that I've been noticing these days. While homosexuality and all these other 'be what you want to be' decisions are harmless in their own right, the problems start to come up when they start pushing their views of what's 'right' onto other people. When a culture starts making 'being gay' into 'being cool', for example, that's a dead-end path. That culture will cease to exist, and take down everything in their path in the mean time. It pressures people in to a non-reproductive society, and given the goings-on in the Middle East and China and such, we stand to be taken over culturally as a result, just through sheer numbers. It scares me.

Post reported this time, can't bear fucking racists hiding behind 'boo SJW leftie'

"I can't handle your words so I will seek to have you removed from the discussion and also punish other aspects of your life by denying you the ability to engage within your social circles."

Last edited by TobiasAmaranth,

eworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Religion should never have an influence in laws in the first place
That is so wrong I can't even believe I'm reading this. You're kidding, tell me you're kidding.
Why are there illegal things again? Oh, due to morality? Yeah, that shouldn't be reflected in our laws. Why is murder illegal, come on, just because a bunch of people believe it's wrong, why should it influence my life?

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's an odd effect that I've been noticing these days. While homosexuality and all these other 'be what you want to be' decisions are harmless in their own right, the problems start to come up when they start pushing their views of what's 'right' onto other people. When a culture starts making 'being gay' into 'being cool', for example, that's a dead-end path. That culture will cease to exist, and take down everything in their path in the mean time. It pressures people in to a non-reproductive society, and given the goings-on in the Middle East and China and such, we stand to be taken over culturally as a result, just through sheer numbers. It scares me.
Just because homosexual people exist doesn't mean you have to become homosexual to(Keep in mind that homosexual people don't really choose to be homosexual they are born that way). Homosexuality doesn't just spread like that. Gay people are still a minority and heterosexuals will always exist as well so there's really no reason to think that the world will suddenly stop procreating.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
That is so wrong I can't even believe I'm reading this. You're kidding, tell me you're kidding.
Why are there illegal things again? Oh, due to morality? Yeah, that shouldn't be reflected in our laws. Why is murder illegal, come on, just because a bunch of people believe it's wrong, why should it influence my life?

because bob down the road told me so?

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you so paranoid? What are you afraid of?

It's not paranoia, it is a statistical fact Muslims will have a majority in London in the near future and a voting majority support sharia law and a theocracy.

Why does western civilization have to take in
How does it benefit Western Civilization to take in people who think throwing homosexuals off roofs is a normal acceptable practice?

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Separation of church and state is there for a reason yo

Reactions: PkPizza

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Just because homosexual people exist doesn't mean you have to become homosexual to(Keep in mind that homosexual people don't really choose to be homosexual they are born that way). Homosexuality doesn't just spread like that. Gay people are still a minority and heterosexuals will always exist as well so there's really no reason to think that the world will suddenly stop procreating.

Please re-read my post. I don't think you understood it correctly. :(

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Separation of church and state is there for a reason yo

And what mechanism are you under the delusion of that prohibits an abolition of Separation of Church and state?

Do you think this cannot be amended, voted out etc with enough people?

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not paranoia, it is a statistical fact Muslims will have a majority in London in the near future and a voting majority support sharia law and a theocracy.

How does it benefit Western Civilization to take in people who think throwing homosexuals off roofs is a normal acceptable practice?
How about we stop attempting to generalize an entire nationality to a single belief. Not every Muslim is anti-gay.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Please re-read my post. I don't think you understood it correctly. :(
Sorry can you rephrase it? Don't mean to be a bother. :(

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

I live in london.

how many times have you been in london.

ZPJrgpG.gif

Last edited by Flame,
Reactions: StarTrekVoyager

Greymane

Lurking gbatemp pony
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Laws should be influenced by science and science debunks that children can consent at a very young age because they aren't mentally developed enough to make rational and critical decisions. Religion needs to stay out of laws too.
If that would happen i would be quit satisfied, but that will not happen since it would mean that the structure of law needs to change and all culture take from religion the basis for there laws.

Morality is quit subjective and what is seen as moral is not fully shared between times and places, and to let religion create law would, mean to give it power over the lives of people that are not part of it.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"I can't handle your words so I will seek to have you removed from the discussion and also punish other aspects of your life by denying you the ability to engage within your social circles."
So, he is insulting all 2.5 billion Muslims on Earth, including my mother, my grandparents, all my aunts and uncles and I should treat this as an opinion? This guy certainly doesn't know any Muslim. Most Muslims are kind people who don't even throw their religion at people's faces like Christian conservatives do in the US. In France, Muslims invite Christians in mosques, and Christians invite Muslims in churches. Both communites gather to celebrate Christmas like Aid fests. Oh, and Muslim homosexuals do exist.

eworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Morality is quit subjective and what is seen as moral is not fully shared between times and places, and to let religion create law would, mean to give it power over the lives of people that are not part of it.
So atheists creating laws that rule over religious people is fine, but religious people creating laws that rule over atheists is not. Okay, I see your point.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
I was pointing out how the entertainment industry and other segments of the population are trying to make homosexuality into an 'encouraged' thing instead of an 'accepted' thing. If it is encouraged, then that causes a drop in population growth, which is harmful when the modern equivalent of war is a long-term plan to overwhelm the rest of the world with population. ^_^;

Trophies
XP
Country
France
And what mechanism are you under the delusion of that prohibits an abolition of Separation of Church and state?

Do you think this cannot be amended, voted out etc with enough people?
50% of 12.4 Muslim Londoners = 6.2% Even if that was right, how on Earth would 6.2% of Londoners impose a law to the rest of England? -.-

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
So atheists creating laws that rule over religious people is fine, but religious people creating laws that rule over atheists is not. Okay, I see your point.

atheists will create laws based on real things..

religious people will create based on their own personal gain or a book that was written by nobody years and years ago.

50% of 12.4 Muslim Londoners = 6.2% Even if that was right, how on Earth would 6.2% of Londoners impose a law to the rest of England? -.-

muslims in UK is about a milion.

Last edited by Flame,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're mixing up atheist and laic. Laic means that the State is free of any opinion about religion, it being Atheism or Christianism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night