Hacking details about eshop/games with hardware mod?

asdfqwer426

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, not long ago got a 4.5 3ds and a gateway. My first 3ds. I've been enjoying it but i'm really missing eshop/online stuff. Looking into solutions (other than waiting for the gateway update) i read about the hardware mod, looked it up, and it sounds great. the work to do it myself is well within my skills, and i have found many resources detailing this. my questions are about AFTER the hardware mod is done, and how different services react with this mod.

As I have not had a standard 3ds, and admit I have no idea how eshop downloads/accounts etc function. I don't really know what to expect here. where and how are these downloads stored? If I update, access eshop and download something, then backup my updated NAND, when i later load that NAND, will I have any issues with eshop downloads?

my next question may not be able to be answered yet. as far as i know, emuNAND users only had access to the eshop for ~4 days before nintendo updated. I was curious how eshop may have handled hardware mod systems like this. for instance could i buy an eshop game on emuNAND, then update and then re-download the already purchased game on current version?

and as a bonus question! I take it gateway did away with the whole "close, press x to save or lose it" thing? i've only played 2 games, so i may have just gotten lucky and never lost a save.

Thanks, all!

(sorry i had to edit this about 8 times, for some reason trying to bold a sentance caused a paragraph to disappear? took a few edits to figure it out)

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can't tell you have a hardware mod. No need to worry.

What you can do is make a backup of your 4.5, then flash the emuNAND to your real NAND (using emuNAND tool to extract it from the SD card). Then update, go on the eshop and have fun. Once Gateway supports 8.0 you could do the reverse if you'd like :P

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to go to the home screen or shut down normally. If your 3DS crashes or you force a shutdown (hold power 10s) then you will lose the last play's progress. To be safe, you will probably want to exit back home occasionally (especially if it is an RPG).

asdfqwer426

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DRF - not really worried about getting caught, just curious how stuff reacts i guess. I was unaware that gateway's emunand could be injected onto regular nand, though i suppose it makes sense. are you saying i can inject my emunand, update to 8.0, and then use gateway without having to go through the whole ds profile thing, since the only nand is emunand? Wouldn't it still have the same 7.0 encryption key problems that a regular emunand has? i really appreciate the help, just trying to clarify. or did you mean something more like this? http://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-transd-nand-injected-into-gw2-0b1-emunand.358545/

cracker - thanks for the reply, good to know gateway still requires that save thing. it sounded like a hardware limitation, so i'm not really surprised. i guess i've just gotten lucky with my rpgs, haven't lost a save file yet.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
No if you inject your "emunand" into the system and you will just have a standard firmware of whatever your emunand was updated to, the patches are applied when you go through the DS settings menu on the fly, the actual NAND is just stock

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DRF - not really worried about getting caught, just curious how stuff reacts i guess. I was unaware that gateway's emunand could be injected onto regular nand, though i suppose it makes sense. are you saying i can inject my emunand, update to 8.0, and then use gateway without having to go through the whole ds profile thing, since the only nand is emunand? Wouldn't it still have the same 7.0 encryption key problems that a regular emunand has? i really appreciate the help, just trying to clarify. or did you mean something more like this? http://gbatemp.net/threads/sys-transd-nand-injected-into-gw2-0b1-emunand.358545/

cracker - thanks for the reply, good to know gateway still requires that save thing. it sounded like a hardware limitation, so i'm not really surprised. i guess i've just gotten lucky with my rpgs, haven't lost a save file yet.

No, you still have to go through the DS profile exploit. And if you update to 8.0 you won't be able to use it in emuNAND currently until Gateway fixes it. What I meant was that you can use the eShop and stuff in 8.0 real NAND, then when you want to play ROMs just flash back to 4.5 (it only takes like 5 minutes) and you'll be set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over