Despicable Me studio to helm Super Mario movie project

IMG_6617.JPG

As for the final announcement from Nintendo's financial investor briefing, the company has revealed that there will be a new movie starring their mascot character, Mario. Nintendo also confirmed an animation studio for this upcoming Super Mario movie; Illumination Entertainment, the studio behind the Despicable Me series. Only two staff for the film are known at this time, which are the two co-producers, Shigeru Miyamoto and Illumination's Chris Meledandri. Meledandri has produced films like Ice Age, The Secret Life of Pets, and Despicable Me. There's no current release date for the movie yet, but the earliest it can release is in the year 2021.

:arrow: Source

D

Deleted User

A Sonic movie, and now a Mario movie.

Killing two birds with one stone eh?
I'm honestly surprised something like this wasn't a thing in the 90s.

I mean, of course, there's the infamous Mario Bros. Movie, but that was live-action, not animated. Maybe they're trying to appeal to nostalgia, considering that the original-gen Mario and Sonic fans are now all grown up.

Anyways, this is Illumination we're talking about here. With Miyamoto at the helm, it could be good. But it could also be very, very bad. We'll just have to wait and see.

Spectral Blizzard

GBATemp's Only Racist Stereotypical Feminist
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly surprised something like this wasn't a thing in the 90s.

I mean, of course, there's the infamous Mario Bros. Movie, but that was live-action, not animated. Maybe they're trying to appeal to nostalgia, considering that the original-gen Mario and Sonic fans are now all grown up.

Anyways, this is Illumination we're talking about here. With Miyamoto at the helm, it could be good. But it could also be very, very bad. We'll just have to wait and see.
True, true.

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's only a bit concerning, a good chunk of my concern is gone with the fact that Miyamoto is co producing it. Not like the other movie where Nintendo supervised it - apparently not that observant.

I thought the Despicable Me movies were great. Minions is not worth my mention, but other th- fuck I mentioned it.

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering what the story will be about. Also do you think mario will have actual voice lines? or will Marios voice actor just spout gibberish and theyll have subtitles translating what mario says? I feel like theyll introduce a talking companion sorta like starlow to accompany him throughout the movie

Last edited by Eddypikachu,

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wondering what the story will be about.

Probably a safe bet that Princess Peach will get kidnapped and Mario will have to save her!! Mario needs to keep Liam Neeson's character in TAKEN on his speed dial as much as that woman gets kidnapped!! :)

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like the voices are gonna suck bad. Unless they use the people who made the voices in the games. This movie feels like it’s just gonna be another Illuminati-on movie. Stupid characters, annoying characters, crappy soundtrack (unless they get a good videogame music composer) generic insert popular song here while we play a montage, seems like a sad moment in the end and then stuff works out. I know that was long-winded, but Illumination is so predictable. Same plot, change up the characters and maybe their goals, and ya get quick movie-in-a-can.

rickwj324

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bet they'd do something weird like make Mario talk.

We do hear Mario talk in games. Phrases like "Welcome to Mario Kart" and "it's a me, Mario!". In the previous cartoons he spoke as well, so I would assume he'll speak in a 90 minute movie.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs