star-right-off.png
star-left-off.png
star-right-off.png
star-left-off.png
star-right-off.png
star-left-off.png
star-right-off.png

demonssouls0201.jpg

After numerous extensions, ATLUS confirmed it will finally turn off the North American servers for Demon's Souls on May 31, 2012.
The servers will officially turn off at 11:59 PM PST. ATLUS says the single-player portion of the game will remain unaffected. The company will have two separate World Tendency events next month, May 1-15 and May 16-31, based on fan voting.
ATLUS encourages all players to sign on May 31 one last time before saying goodbye.
Below is a statement sent to Game Informer by ATLUS VP of sales and marketing Tim Pivnicny:
On October 6, 2009, North American gamers’ expectations of what an online roleplaying experience could be were forever changed. With Demon’s Souls, gamers received a title of breathtaking scope and vision, a project built on experimental cooperative and competitive multiplayer concepts, offering users both direct and indirect methods of communication and interaction. Elements of every connected player’s single player world carried into the worlds of others, sometimes as nothing more than an echo or afterimage, and other times in the form of an alliance or invasion. With countless hazards to memorize and plan for spread across each of the game’s sprawling dozen-plus worlds, the ability for players to leave hints—or, potentially, deceptions—and to view the final moments of other adventurers’ lives, created an unprecedented form of RPG crowd-sourcing that remains revolutionary to this day.
When subtle interactions were insufficient assistance, players could call across dimensions for assistance, pulling the weakened spirit forms of other adventurers—unable to communicate using conventional voice chat in order to preserve the game’s intense atmosphere—into their worlds to help them defeat the game’s unforgettable boss monsters. Other less altruistic spirit form users could invade the world of living adventurers and try to revive themselves by quite literally stealing that life from another. All of these online elements, all of the ways in which gamers would interact with each other, served to enhance and complement the core game and were designed so as to neither diminish nor distract from the experience and thrill of simply playing the game.
It has been a tremendous honor and privilege for all of our staff at ATLUS to have been involved with so innovative and groundbreaking an interactive entertainment experience. We poured our heart and soul into every facet of our involvement with Demon’s Souls, particularly the title’s memorable Deluxe Edition, which served as the only avenue through which to purchase the game’s official strategy guide. It was also of the utmost importance for us to sustain the game’s online experience as long as possible, even beyond the point at which sales could help to offset the expense. Regrettably, the online servers cannot be sustained forever and now the end draws near.
Thank you to the unparalleled passion and support of the Demon’s Souls community throughout these last two and a half years. The online adventure may end soon, but the memory of it—just like that of every boss strategy, every level floor plan, and hidden secret—lives on in the gamers for whom the game was so special.
Long live Boletaria!

Source

Personally I just bought the game(a week ago). Bad news for me. :'(

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got this back before I was able to setup the ps3 online in my house and did not even know about the online play. I might need to give it a go before it's gone

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It was bound to happen, but still I don't like it.. Online is in many cases the only thing keeping a game going :I

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
The beauty of Demon's Souls is that it was a game built around a feeling of isolation, and being alone against impossible odds. Having played the game quite a bit, I can confidently say that the loss of online will not hurt this game, though, it'll make the fight the Monk, I believe it was, a bit less exciting. The fight is significantly easier when it's a generic game black phantom vs an actual player. That's the only part of the game I see as truly taking a hit though. If anything, it will be a bit of a reprieve to not be invaded by black phantoms that lag to hell and kill you, or useless blue phantoms that don't help you one bit.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried this game and i never cared for it.... too hard... and it's such a shame that company's like this are killing games like this so soon... i'll just wait until the ps3 is dead before cutting it off.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh yeah i forget games that are 3 or 4 years old online die so often. sucks for the poor people who can't afford dark souls through...

10_0ARMY

THE *Original* 1 Man Army
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
...but not all people care to buy games when they come out but wait a while to buy them. The game is only 3 years old, which isn't that old. Personally, I'd be pissed if I got a game on a current console and learned it had part of its functionality taking away...maybe though this game isn't that popular and that's why they are taking down its servers, to save money and all...

SilentSinr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't really ever play it online so it doesn't really bother me at all. I always found it annoying when other players would invade anyways lol

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
The best part of online play is the attempt of a random person you never know invading you and killing you in all this isolation. In fact i think the part that hurt the game the most is co-op. The game is a faceroll in co-op.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Good news everyone!
The multiplayer servers will stay online for now.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/25/3043759/demons-souls-may-31st-server-shutdown-canceled
http://www.co-optimus.com/article/8312/the-demon-s-souls-servers-have-revived.html

I started this game only 2 weeks ago and began to love it. The writings on the floor from other players have helped me a lots of times. So seeing they will still be there is kind of a relief. (Or not. *fears the black phantoms*)

By the way I think the European servers were never announced to shut down. They are run by Namco-Bandai, not Atlus.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Heh. I don't actually find it very frustrating. Just hard. OK, I have to admit I looked up some bosses in the wiki, to see what they're weak against. And I'm not that far yet, I think... Level 29.. slain a few demons but no archdemon yet.

I just realized I am playing the US import version. So probably I'm on the North American servers and not European...

Does anybody know if the saves work across regions? Guess I would have to start over if I buy a European version of the game.

clonesniper666

KRII LUN AUS
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heh. I don't actually find it very frustrating. Just hard. OK, I have to admit I looked up some bosses in the wiki, to see what they're weak against. And I'm not that far yet, I think... Level 29.. slain a few demons but no archdemon yet.

I just realized I am playing the US import version. So probably I'm on the North American servers and not European...

Does anybody know if the saves work across regions? Guess I would have to start over if I buy a European version of the game.

I do not think the save will work on different region copies; at least it did not when I bought Rayman Origins off the UK store; my original US save did not work with the PAL digital copy I got.

Deltaechoe

The Dopefish
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I do not think the save will work on different region copies; at least it did not when I bought Rayman Origins off the UK store; my original US save did not work with the PAL digital copy I got.

Different regions have different game identification data so the saves for one id won't work for the other id

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks. Thought so.
But all is good for now, since all servers are up. Yay.

Right now everything has White World Tendency for Memorial Day. So you could just try to tackle some boss that was too hard before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu