Hardware Dell XPS M1530 or HP dv9500t?

SlyGuy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll be buying my first notebook in the next couple months and right now I'm deciding between the two computers I mentioned in the title. I'm looking for something around $1600. I will be playing new, graphically intense PC games as well as doing some mid-level video editing. Couple questions:

QUESTION 1
Is there a difference between these brands / computers that isn't listed on the spec sheet? Does one run better?

QUESTION 2
How big is the performance gap between the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS and 8600M GT?

QUESTION 3
What performance benefits would I see in a 7200RPM hard drive vs the 5400RPM option?

QUESTION 4
Is there a brand you would recommend above HP or Dell?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out!
Ryan

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll be buying my first notebook in the next couple months and right now I'm deciding between the two computers I mentioned in the title. I'm looking for something around $1600. I will be playing new, graphically intense PC games as well as doing some mid-level video editing. Couple questions:

QUESTION 1
Is there a difference between these brands / computers that isn't listed on the spec sheet? Does one run better?

QUESTION 2
How big is the performance gap between the Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS and 8600M GT?

QUESTION 3
What performance benefits would I see in a 7200RPM hard drive vs the 5400RPM option?

QUESTION 4
Is there a brand you would recommend above HP or Dell?

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out!
Ryan

1. Depends you can customize the dell Not sure about the HP. The difference probably isn't too huge.

2. There's a pretty big difference but if it costs 100$ or more it's not worth it.

3. You would boot windows faster, but get a noiser, and louder laptop.

4. HP and dell are good.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gaming on a 5400rpm hardrive ? enjoy long load times ...

gaming on a laptop is not recomended also get the gt you should get the strongest graphics card you can get cause it will be hard to upgrade that in the future

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

gaming on a laptop is not recomended also get the gt you should get the strongest graphics card you can get cause it will be hard to upgrade that in the future

Don't listen to him. Long load times? No. It takes like 2-3 seconds depending on the game on a 5400RPM drive, on a 7200RPM it might me 1-2 seconds but paying all the extra money isn't worth it. And about the GPU, Yes the difference is pretty big but if it's over say 150$ it's not worth it anymore...

BoneMonkey

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Don't listen to him. Long load times? No. It takes like 2-3 seconds depending on the game on a 5400RPM drive, on a 7200RPM it might me 1-2 seconds but paying all the extra money isn't worth it. And about the GPU, Yes the difference is pretty big but if it's over say 150$ it's not worth it anymore...

try 30 seconds to a minute in loading times

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

try 30 seconds to a minute in loading times

Care to backup that statement? Benchmarks? Links? Anything?

BoneMonkey

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
now a 7200 rpm sata hardrive is faster then a 5400 rpm sata haddrive and not by MILISECONDS by seconds and even MINUTES in games now in general computing maybe not if you dont believe me well sucks to be you

i do not have any benchmarks on the two laptops he posted but for the love of god look

6ks7ew8.png

dont take advice from a apple/sony fanboy

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
now a 7200 rpm sata hardrive is faster then a 5400 rpm sata haddrive and not by MILISECONDS by seconds and even MINUTES in games now in general computing maybe not if you dont believe me well sucks to be you

i do not have any benchmarks on the two laptops he posted but for the love of god look

6ks7ew8.png

dont take advice from a apple/sony fanboy

Since you have yet to backup statement I doubt You know what your talking about. And who cares if I like Sony and Apple? Their great companies. Just shows how valid your point was. You know your wrong, but can't admit it. Minutes? No.

BoneMonkey

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
im not wrong its just common sense !

why would a 5400 rpm hardrive only lag behind a few miliseconds in games compared to 7200 rpm

most computer games are read right of the hardrive not dvdroms

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

why would a 5400 rpm hardrive only lag behind a few miliseconds in games compared to 7200 rpm

No shit? When it's installed of course it's gonna read off the HDD. And like I said, the difference isn't anything noticeable. You said 60 second load times correct? Prove it. Show me FIVE game that takes 60 seconds to load. That's all I ask for, If you can't then there we go.

GamerzInc

Trophies
XP
Country
Bought myself an HP dv6500t before the summer ended. I love it.

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel Core™ 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
- 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
- HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone
- Intel PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth™
- 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Bought myself an HP dv6500t before the summer ended. I love it.

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
- Intel® Core? 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
- 15.4" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
- 2GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
- 383MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
- HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone
- Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth?
- 160GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
- SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

Oh wow that's actually not bad! How much did it cost? Only thing that isn't too great is the 8400M GS.

BoneMonkey

Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

No shit? When it's installed of course it's gonna read off the HDD. And like I said, the difference isn't anything noticeable. You said 60 second load times correct? Prove it. Show me FIVE game that takes 60 seconds to load. That's all I ask for, If you can't then there we go.

World of Warcraft
Cyrisis
Fear
Halflife orange box
company of heroes

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil

World of Warcraft
Cyrisis
Fear
Halflife orange box
company of heroes

Now for the mighty question, Link? And it's spelled ''Crysis''.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.